Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 31, 2014, 12:00:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwaminalivednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: Aveyron, Aussie JJ, caredverymuch, free-n-clear, lever, NorthernGirl, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
10 Books Endorsed and Reviewed by BPDFamily

Note: BPDFamily does not sell books and is not otherwise compensated for its recommendations.
Poll
Question: As one who read the book, how do you rate this book?
Excellent - 17 (81%)
Good - 4 (19%)
Fair - 0 (0%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gift of Fear - Gavin De Becker  (Read 4918 times)
JoannaK
DSA Recipient
Administrator (Retired)

« on: August 28, 2008, 05:07:17 PM »

The Gift of Fear
by Gavin De Becker

Book Description

de Becker runs a consulting company that attempts to predict and prevent violence against individuals.  In this book, he shares his insights on enhancing personal safety. He believes that violence is part of the human condition and that America is increasingly a violent place - for example, homicide is now the leading cause of death for women in the workplace.

A date won't take "no" for an answer. The new nanny gives a mother an uneasy feeling. A stranger in a deserted parking lot offers unsolicited help. The threat of violence surrounds us every day. But we can protect ourselves, by learning to trust—and act on—our gut instincts.

Here he writes how he learned to sense and move away from dangerous situations. According to him, it is possible to develop survival skills based on intuition that can protect us from people unable to control their violent instincts. De Becker argues that the tendency of TV news programs to air stories of unusual disasters as immediate dangers interferes with our ability to discriminate between real and manufactured fear. A practical if pedestrian guide to enhancing the safety of yourself and your loved ones.

People raised in families with personality disordered members often never developed or lose their self-protective instincts. The Gift of Fear provides critical information and strategies for fostering in adulthood this life-saving awareness that may have been underdeveloped in childhood.

About the Author

de Becker 200-member consulting firm advises government agencies, universities, police departments, corporations, and media figures on the assessment of threats and hazards.  Mr. de Becker is the designer of the MOSAIC threat assessment systems used to screen threats to Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court, members of Congress, and senior officials of the CIA. Along with the U.S. Marshals Service, he co-designed the MOSAIC system used for assessing threats to Federal Judges and prosecutors.  MOSAIC systems are sometimes used by police departments for assessment of spousal abuse cases.

de Becker is a Senior Fellow at the UCLA School of Public Affairs and, a Senior Advisor to the Rand Corporation on public safety and justice matters. He was twice appointed to the President’s Advisory Board at the U.S. Department of Justice, and he served two terms on the Governor’s Advisory Board at the California Department of Mental Health.  Having suffered an abusive childhood himself, de Becker has a special empathy for victims and an acute awareness of the signs of criminal intent.

# Paperback: 432 pages
# Publisher: Dell (May 11, 1998)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0440226198
# ISBN-13: 978-0440226192
# Product Dimensions: 6.8 x 4.1 x 1.4 inches
# Price: $8.00

Kattgirl

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »

I just love Gavin DeBecker's book The Gift of Fear.  I believe it should be required reading for all  nons!  The book discusses how to deal with stalkers and potential attackers, and delves into the nature of fear and our instincts and intuition and how we can tap into them to survive.

He talks about how potential attackers or stalkers try to get past our boundaries.  One term he uses that I think is great: loan sharking.  This refers to a person giving you something or doing something for you to manipulate you into being indebted to them.  It seems on the surface that the person is being kind to you, but they are setting you up emotionally, in order to weaken your defenses.  This is what BPD's do, with their "gifts with strings attached."

I just love the loan shark terminology - it is spot on.  Think about it: loan sharks get to you (or you seek them out) when you are desperate, they offer something that seems too good to be true, but then the repayment is a b#tch.  "Sharks" also implies the lack of consciousness, the predatory nature, of a BPD.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Anyone read the book?

- Kattgirl
You've got to roll with the punches and get to what's real.
love2007

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »

I am currently reading/skimming the book on my lunch hours. A co-worker brought it in and has left it in the break room. Judging from the bookmarks now in it, at least 3 of us are enjoying it. The book is incredible, and I think teenaged girls should read it asap!

love the book!
Pagancat

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »

I haven't read the book, but I think this is spot on. My SIL used to give me junk I didn't want and then mention multiple times what she had given me.  It was never anything good.  Once it was a broken cement garden statue.  Once it was a wooden shoe rack.  I would say, no thanks, I really don't want/need that and then she would bring it over to the house and I'd be stuck with it.  I had that damn shoe rack for a couple years before I finally hauled it out to the curb on garbage day!   

It made me think of another habit of my NPD/BPD SIL which is kind of the flip side of the coin of "loan sharking" where I or my husband have done some huge kind of favor for her, and she immediately has to give some little gift or gesture that is completely worthless or below the value of the favor done for her to kind of "make us even" so she doesn't have to feel guilty about what we do for her when she does nothing for us.

I spent a whole day helping her to clean out her kitchen, which was incredible filthy and full of garbage. She's a hoarder and clean up involved a tremendous amount of work like carrying broken chairs out to the road for garbage pickup, etc.  So as I'm working, she hands me this little tiny box of hard candy (the kind of thing you might get next to your place setting at a shower or wedding as a favor) with a few pieces of old candy in it and tells me it's for "helping her" clean up.  (I did most of the work. I was stupid then!) I was doing it out of the goodness of my heart, I didn't expect a gift or anything, but she managed to make me feel really crappy by giving me this incredibly small gesture of what she thought my help was worth!  Lunch would have been nice, since she never offered to feed me or anything all day, which is sacrilege according to my mother and the way I was raised.  smiley  Maybe the old candy was lunch?  lol

Another time, we were picking her up to take her to the hospital for surgery for a relatively common but pretty major surgery.  We had already been to the doctor with her multiple times, held her hand through the process, made plans for her to stay with us after the surgery if she needed help, etc., everything you would want a family member to do for you when you're facing something like that.  We go to pick her up to take her in for surgery, and she hands us a dusty old basket with two dirty old mugs in it that used to belong to Hubby's family and that SIL insisted on taking from the estate and keeping after Hubby's Mom died. The basket was filthy, and there was actually a big dead spider in one of the mugs!  She gave it to my hubby and told him she knew he always like those glasses and she wanted him to have it.  I threw it in the garbage when we got home. No verbal thank you at all for our help or support after she was recovered from her surgery. I guess the dead spider was assumed to be enough thanks on her part.
Kattgirl

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »

As an enmeshed non, I was a victim of continuous loan sharking for several years, I'm ashamed to say!  I could probably write a book on the subject.

My momster did not give shabby gifts, though.  They were, as gifts go, "good" ones.  It's just that the terms were intolerable.  The price was my soul.

- Kattgirl
You've got to roll with the punches and get to what's real.
stellaris

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

The gift of fear is awesome.  I've gotten copies for just about every woman who's important in my life.

Nihil Corundum
methinkso

you are the only you that will ever exist

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »

Have not read it but wish I had years ago. My evilsis is a 'loan sharker' and toyed with boundaries in a very sick way.

Instilled her drama and maniupulations (tried, at least) into my husband's employer ~ tried to make trouble there. Has 'proven' to me for decades there would be NOTHING in my life she did not ingratiate herself into, including my therapist, friends and my employer (and my H's hobby related associates) and even military duty. Did I leave anything out? Like my trash bins? Oh yeah, she snooped there too. Oh, yeah, almost forgot the 'biggie'. My cancer Dr's (long story). And of course there were the weekends she'd stalk me and DH at lounges ~ drive terminally ill Dad through the parking lot(s) then call me and berate me. Making Dad believe I was the 'bar whore' that she was ~ one of Dad's only complaints about her.

I think I am going to order a copy. Thanks for the referral, Kattgirl.

mint-cc

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

I've never heard of the book until this thread but both my mom and FMIL are like this.  I will look into the library about this book.

Prior to NC, (mainly in HS)my mom would "borrow" money from me all the time and I never saw it again.  And I could never ask for it back; I could and did a few times but it was fighting an uphill battle and the reward was not worth messing with all her crap.  However, borrow a few bucks from her and she wanted 3 times as much back.  Things like that.

FMIL is worse than my mom.  She sold her house for many many reasons other than what I'm about to say but she likes to bring up that she sold her house for my FI as manipulation.  The place we live now?  She thinks she owns it and tells us all the time "I got you that house!"  Uh, no you didn't.  FMIL loaned FI a few thousand dollars for school a few years ago; he's paid it back and a lot of 'some' rather than 'then some' and she says he still owes her.  Borrowing $5000 to pay her back $10,000 with a 30% interest loan?  GMAB.  According to her, we owe her over $200,000 for raising FI.  She did not physically do this, but who hands their kid a statement with how much they owe them for raising them?  JMHO, but you don't raise kids to reap some financial reward.  She usually brings this up when FI wants to do something she doesn't want him to do.

I hate debt but I would rather be in debt the rest of my life than to have to borrow anything, especially money (which doesn't work out anyways because she doesn't have any), from her.  You are forever indebted to her and it's just not worth it.

-NC with uBPD mother- 2007 or 2008
-MIL who shows BPD tendencies (manipulation, twisting of words, control issues, black and white sons)

blackandwhite
Distinguished Member
Administrator (Retired)

Back to my old colorful self

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »

Kattgirl and all,

Oh yes. Great topic.

I read The Gift of Fear and the loansharking section (as well as many others) just lit up all the bulbs in my brain. My mother is the Queen of Loansharking. There are so, so many examples of this, I don't even know where to begin. But one good one is that at one point she bought a house as an investment and begged me to move in, with some roommates, when I was a young adult. Aware of the potential issues, I had a very detailed conversation with her about boundaries, how I would be paying rent and would expect privacy, a businesslike arrangement, etc. She immediately started filling the house with cast off furniture she didn't want so that she had an excuse to buy new furniture for herself--I didn't ask for or expect the place to be furnished. Then she furnished one bedroom, next to mine, with particular lavish attention and announced that she planned to use it as a "crash pad" for when she needed another place to stay. Not sure why she would need another place to stay, as she lived alone. I insisted that we fill that room with a roommate. Mightily peeved, she sent in a handyman and required reports from him on my activities. Then she paid somebody to spy on me, in the guise of doing some yard work. I know this for a fact because I knew there wasn't any need for the yard work and I confronted this person, who confessed. Then, when I was traveling, she rented out my room, with all my personal belongings in it, without my permission. When I asked, horrified, how she thought that was okay (still paying rent all this time, by the by), she said that since I'd been so unwelcoming, she needed to make up the rent to afford the mortgage. Try to parse that logically if you dare.

All of this based on the "favor" she did me by allowing me to be a tenant in this house.

B&W

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else.
                           --Lucille Clifton

Scarlett2008

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »

I really enjoyed that book, and reading the comments makes me want to read it again, as I read it about 10 years ago. What I've learned from this book is to follow my gut feeling. Unfortunately for me, it took me a long time to put into practice. Having being raised by a uBPDm, I was trained to disregard my feelings completely. I was so confused it's like my "internal compass" was broken. Thank God I'm recovered now and I recommend this book very much.
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic