Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 23, 2014, 09:51:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: free-n-clear, lever, Moselle, NorthernGirl, tristesse, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Please Welcome Newbies to our Community
Every day we have new members joining and trying to find their way through an emotional fog. Just a single post on the days that you log in will make a huge difference in peoples lives. Look for the SO designation in your "unread posts since last visit" or go directly to the Newbie board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would someone accuse you of doing the exact thing they do?  (Read 5253 times)
WalrusGumboot

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »

After being ignored all day, no eye contact made with me, my BPDbf asks me why I am being so cold.

Yeah I can relate. uBPDw has been icy cold all week - I mean ICY. The prior week we were both sick with the stomach flu for 3 or 4 days, then she went on a trip out of town for 2 days, then we had house guests over last weekend. She scolds me today for "not touching her for two weeks". In other words, haven't initiated sex. Like she thinks acting like a b*tch turns me on.  ;p

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
thimble

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »

After being ignored all day, no eye contact made with me, my BPDbf asks me why I am being so cold.

Yeah I can relate. uBPDw has been icy cold all week - I mean ICY. The prior week we were both sick with the stomach flu for 3 or 4 days, then she went on a trip out of town for 2 days, then we had house guests over last weekend. She scolds me today for "not touching her for two weeks". In other words, haven't initiated sex. Like she thinks acting like a b*tch turns me on.  ;p
I feel you gumboot!

My pBPgf and I have been going through 'more space' / breaking up for almost 2 months now. Getting together after not seeing her from over a week, she wasn't saying a word to me and was evidently upset but would say she's fine or she didn't want to talk about it. Even after asking her if she wants to talk quite a few times, I get hell for 'ignoring her' (along with anything else associated with me that she might find displeasing) when she finally decides to address her emotions. So much for space.
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for analyzing and making the decision to either continue working on your relationship or to leave it. If you have already please advance to "L3 Leaving" or the "L4 Staying" board.
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
lurchlookalike
aka "cantalopez"

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 01:51:53 AM »

Dead on target bro.

My wife nearly always accuses me of exactly what she does. I tell her she is not affectionate, she says: "YOU'RE not affectionate". I tell her she is verbally abusive, she says: "YOU'RE verbally abusive". I tell her she doesn't care about me, she says: "You don't care about ME". It goes on and on into infinity. I cannot communicate with her in an adult manner. It's like dealing with a little kid.

lurchlookalike
angst

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »

It can be projection.

It can also be splitting ... people have to be "all bad" or "all good". When you are in conflict one of you needs to be "all bad", and it's intolerable that it be her, so it must be you. Once we get to that point, mere facts don't stand a chance.  cool

I dealing alot with this lately, after establishing some boundaries...I don't know how to effectively deal with this behavior, and the projection. It's exhausting, how does one handle this type of behavior effectively? Any boundary I identify, is painted as "It's ALL about me ALL the time". It's like she reverse roles it all, and becomes the victum...what do I do? ANYTHING that relates to me, is painted as selfish ansd self-serving...there's no in-between.
GreatDad

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »

Dead on target bro.

My wife nearly always accuses me of exactly what she does. I tell her she is not affectionate, she says: "YOU'RE not affectionate". I tell her she is verbally abusive, she says: "YOU'RE verbally abusive". I tell her she doesn't care about me, she says: "You don't care about ME". It goes on and on into infinity. I cannot communicate with her in an adult manner. It's like dealing with a little kid.

lurchlookalike

That is me.  She repeats what I say before I even finish saying it.  Then, in marriage counseling, I'm accused of being controlling and treating her like a child.  In fairness, there is some truth to that.  I have had to resort to treating her like a child because she acts like one and that, at times, has been the only way to get through to her.  As for the controlling, yes, because her life and world is chaos and despite what a bad person she tells me I am, I have to be the one to do everything and make all the decisions.  I know  your frustration.
Auspicious
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »

Any boundary I identify, is painted as "It's ALL about me ALL the time". It's like she reverse roles it all, and becomes the victum...what do I do? ANYTHING that relates to me, is painted as selfish ansd self-serving...there's no in-between.

A boundary is a rule for you, not her.

An example of a boundary would be:

"If someone yells at me, I will leave the room."

It doesn't matter what she thinks of it. The purpose is not to change her thinking or behavior. She may change something in response to it - or she may not. Either way, you are not in the room when she is yelling.

Have you read the Lessons?

T2H
Emeritus

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

A boundary is a rule for you, not her.

I think that's the thing - I'm far from an expert but it occurs to me the only way to deal with this is to be confident/comfortable in your side of things regardless of what the partner says. Easier said than done. But I bet they don't have this problem (at least there are times they don't) - perhaps something we can learn from them.

Another thing I've found is that when people say "I... " they are probably speaking the truth about themselves, and when they say "You... " they are also speaking the truth... about themselves. Not always, but usually.

Auspicious
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:55 PM »

it occurs to me the only way to deal with this is to be confident/comfortable in your side of things regardless of what the partner says. Easier said than done.

It definitely takes practice ... it's a process. Especially if we have slowly lost ourselves to a pattern of giving in, trying to please them.

Have you read the Lessons?

thimble

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »

Another thing I've found is that when people say "I... " they are probably speaking the truth about themselves, and when they say "You... " they are also speaking the truth... about themselves. Not always, but usually.

Nice insight. Doing the right thing

it occurs to me the only way to deal with this is to be confident/comfortable in your side of things regardless of what the partner says. Easier said than done.

It definitely takes practice ... it's a process. Especially if we have slowly lost ourselves to a pattern of giving in, trying to please them.

I'm beginning that process now. My uBPgf and I have agreed that things need to change, so we've taken that step. Although what she says she understands and what she does are not always in accordance. I am anticipating hurdles.
Verbal

Here all week, folks. Try the veal.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »

I have become so accustomed to the projection that I actually find it kind of humorous.  After years of listening to her, I know not to respond to her accusations and distortions.  But I carry on the dialogue in my head while she is having one of her monologues (I wouldn't call it a conversation).  My unspoken replies can be quite snarky and cutting.  And I manage to do this while keeping a completely expressionless face. 

I guess turning her projections into a form of entertainment is one way of dealing with it.

"Why don't you treat me with respect? You g-- d----- s-- of a b-----."
2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
Alex86
antifragile
Aurora7
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bobbyvp
Bookworm77
bpdfamfan
captain4464
catclaw
caughtnreleased
chooselove
chump
claudiaduffy
Cmjo
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
Dire Wolf
doubleAries
Dutched
Emelie Emelie
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
HappyChappy
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Hope26
imataloss
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
joolz29
jthorpejr
KarenDH
kc sunshine
kiddfei
kidsteele
Kwamina
KQuestionsItAll
landofoz
Leelou
Leelou
lever
Lmls
Loveofhislife
MammaMia
maxen
Memorial Donation
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
Pingo
Pou
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
qcarolr
qkslvrgirl
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Reforming
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
SCM
seahorse
Should I stay or...
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
Take2
Theo41
thereishope
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
twojaybirds
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
White_Lily
winston72
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
Choosing a path