Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
December 29, 2014, 06:21:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Today's Feature: Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder read more
Moderator: Mutt, Rapt Reader
Advisors: AussieJJ, EaglesJuJu, formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, NorthernGirl, pessim-optimist, Ripped Heart, Turkish, Waverider, Ziggiddy
Ambassadors: clljhns, fred6, Moselle
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing
Video: How To Reduce Conflict" Do you have an emotionally difficult person in your life? Our natural response often make matters worse. Learn to better communicate using "S.E.T." (by Jerold Kreisman MD) and a DBT tool developed by Alan Fruzzetti, PhD. Break the cycle of conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Prediction of the 10-Year Course of BPD - Mary C. Zanarini, Ed.D.,  (Read 16285 times)
Desert

NC- It's what's for dinner

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »

Thank you for posting the information about the new study, Skip.  I've read lit reviews covering hundreds of studies and this is the first one I recall that dealt with social and vocational functioning, as opposed to merely failure to meet the criteria for the dx.

Do not engage.
neverending

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:10:58 AM »

But these are bpd's who are in treatment.. from my 20 odd year experience with my bpd mum, it's very difficult to get them to admit anything is wrong and the need for any treatment. What are the odds of someone in denial recovering just miraculously? Is it zero? And how do you get them into treatment?
escapefromoz2

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this particular forum and still have to send my introduction but I have the same question as "Neverending" except it applies to my uBPDH of nearly 22 years.  Forever I've felt like there is no hope...and almost automatically find myself predicting the answer to this question.  The timing and this article gives me hope smiley   I'm returning to the on-line support group after a couple of years of going totally NC with my H after separating and also disengaging w/my BPDcentral group since 2007.  Clearly "I'm back" which means I'm seeking help again. 
Vivgood

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »

I liken it to a flaw in the basic operating system of the mind (faulty logic code installed during initial programming). Humans are extremely adaptable and can find creative workarounds and/or ways to mask it but the flaw will resurface unless it is truly overwritten.

Love this. Overwriting takes time and effort, but is possible. I'm watching it happen with my daughter, as she has gone through DBT and CBT and worked to get her meds on-line. Fascinating, and I wonder if I had been able to watch myself recover (in the 80s) would I have seen similar changes.

In my Hs case, he was always very high functioning, had no other mental illness issues or addictions and Ive felt that was always a big asset to his recovery.

I agree. The BPDs I know (including my BPD sister) who I'm pretty sure will never get real help share this- there are significant comorbidities, particularly addiction. I'm on the fence about high vs low functioning...could be associated, ironically enough, with a more intransigent denial.

vivgood
NeilWiste

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »

intransigent denial ?

What exactly do you mean by that ?
lbjnltx
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »

in·tran·si·gent also in·tran·si·geant (n-trns-jnt, -z-)
adj.
Refusing to moderate a position, especially an extreme position; uncompromising.

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Vivgood

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »

thank you lbjnltx!

By which i mean that someone who is high functioning (working, able to socialize normally, unaddicted) may find it easier to believe that they are not affected by mental illness, whereas someone who is low functioning has "proof" of their dysfunction staring them in the face (homeless, jobless, etc). 

vivgood
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family