Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
December 18, 2014, 06:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: clljhns, fred6, free-n-clear, lever, Moselle, NorthernGirl, tristesse, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing
Think About It... Break-up/Make-up Cycles; sixty-two percent (62%) of relationships do not end at the first breakup. Reconnecting with a person after a split is perfectly normal - many of us have done it. It becomes a problem when there are many breakup/makeup cycles and when we repeatedly return. ~ Skip
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD patients, go through seperation... backwards?  (Read 2141 times)
ballinpapo

« on: June 09, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »

If you read my other post, you know my situation. In my research I came across a site that claimed sufferers of BPD go through seperation differently than no BPD sufferers.

NON-BPD.. Right after the breakup, feel terrible and miserable, but heal over time.

BPD- Right after the breakup, feel amazing and great, but begin to remorse later on.

How true is this? anyone agree/disagree?

P.S- our relationship was not terrible in my eyes. and She (the BPD sufferer) left me. not the other way around.
szia

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »

Yep, yep. And if you've ever been through the push/pull routine, you see it more clearly.

The push is a release. But as time wears on, due to whatever they go through as pwBPD, they become overcome with the need to pull. And so it goes. On and on until the Non is depleted of validation supply or the Non finally lets go once and for all.
jpounce

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »

I've read that same theory as well, numerous times in various places. Whether it's true or not... I couldn't say. Mine sure seemed like all was fine, and I simply no longer mattered, right after she left the relationship abruptly without explanation.

Its been about 7 months now though, and if she's feeling any kind of remorse about it, she sure hasn't made any efforts to try to verbalize it to me.

I used to feel like if she did want to come back, I'd be all   smiley about it.   But the more I learn about BPD, and the more I'm able to think about the whole relationship rationally thanks to time and distance... if she did express remorse and want to try again... I don't know if I'd be all  smiley ...  or all   shocked
ballinpapo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »

I guess its alittle awkward for me because she never got extremely abusive towards me. If anything at all it was towards everyone else/herself.
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for members with failed or failing relationships that want to detach from their relationship and relationship wounds. If you are still analyzing the decision to stay, please post on Undecided: Staying or Leaving
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
gatorgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »

For me, it's as if he can FEEL my strength growing as I'm away.  And that is what makes him panic and pull me back in.  He uses emails (often jokes) and phone calls to pull me back.  His pull is proportionate to how much independence and feelings of being fed-up that he picks up on intuitively from me.  Because I am very fed up and have been going out more socially on my own, his pull has been very strong lately.  He knows exactly what the "good stuff" is that keeps me in the relationship...and that is exactly what he gives me.
Amazing 6th sense!
ballinpapo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

For me, it's as if he can FEEL my strength growing as I'm away.  And that is what makes him panic and pull me back in.  He uses emails (often jokes) and phone calls to pull me back.  His pull is proportionate to how much independence and feelings of being fed-up that he picks up on intuitively from me.  Because I am very fed up and have been going out more socially on my own, his pull has been very strong lately.  He knows exactly what the "good stuff" is that keeps me in the relationship...and that is exactly what he gives me.
Amazing 6th sense!

My ex says she wants me to meet someone else, she claims, and to a large extent i feel like she is cured of her BPD... She says she needs to figure out what she wants from life for herself. She hasnt had anxiety attacks, hasnt called me, hasnt freaked out. Her friends all say she has been happier than ever, I just dont understand any of it. HOW.. after 3 years... just.. its only been 3 WEEKS!
T2H
Emeritus

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »

It's almost certainly completely an act.  To possibly get you back (or back at you).  It can't be sustained.

Some can go for 6 months or more seemingly completely fine...  until they suddenly leave you one day and marry someone else the following weekend.

szia

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »

To be "cured" of BPD takes years of intensive therapy.
unknown

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

do you mean if they break up with you they feel great at first?

because i once broke up with my BPD and she had a huge meltdown and became misrable and tried to kill herself.

then we later got back together (dont know what i was thinking), and had an amazing time. i made it so i did everything she said, held back any argument, and avoided conflict completly.    and then of course, she broke up with me lol and then rubbed her new boyfriend she ran to in my face and acted as if she never knew what it was like to get broken up with. it was crazy.
T2H
Emeritus

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:04:54 PM »

Hehe...  (well really sad )

But I think that's usually the case.  ie. you described both circumstances.  If they have someone else to jump to... super happy.  If not, devastated.

Then again, ballinpapo, maybe she's not actually really BPD - just has some of those traits for various reasons.  I don't mean to question you or your story.  But I imagine there's a small possibility of misdiagnosis - especially for younger people (I've read somewhere that you can't formally apply that label to someone under 18).  It's just that some things that she's doing don't quite make sense, but whatever - what really matters is how it affects you - and what you want/need/etc.

2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
aeoma
Alex86
All4BVM
antifragile
Aurora7
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
Being Mindful
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bluetooth
bobbyvp
Bookworm77
Boss302
bpdfamfan
captain4464
Carebearx2m
careman
Caresaboutsomeonelikethis
Cat Familiar
catclaw
catnap
caughtnreleased
chooselove
Chosen
chump
claudiaduffy
cleotokos
clydegriffith
Cmjo
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
Dire Wolf
doubleAries
draptemp
Dutched
Emelie Emelie
emoinferno
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
flowerpath
foggydew
ForeverDad
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
Grey Kitty
HappyChappy
HappyNihilist
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Heshie
Hope26
hope2727
imataloss
In Pain
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
joolz29
jthorpejr
JulesC
kaer
kappa
KarenDH
kc sunshine
Keep
KeepOnGoing
kiddfei
kidsteele
kj1234
KQuestionsItAll
Kwamina
landofoz
Leelou
lemon flower
lever
Linda Maria
lipstick
Lmls
Loveofhislife
Lucky One
maid
MammaMia
maric
maxen
mdg2101
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
mggt
michel71
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
NewWays
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
outside9x
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
picturelady
Pingo
PinkieV
Pou
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
propunchingbag
qcarolr
qkslvrgirl
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Recooperating
Reforming
ReluctantSurvivor
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
SCM
seahorse
Should I stay or...
sirius
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
stargazer3
StayOrLeave15
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
swiftkick
Take2
Theo41
thereishope
Tiepje3
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
twojaybirds
ugghh
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
White_Lily
winston72
Witchway
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
index.php?topic=136462.msg1331265#msg1331265