Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 08:41:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
PSYCHOLOGY: Help us build this database.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TREATMENT: Residential Treatment Program / Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)?  (Read 6503 times)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »

When you say "typical 6-8 weeks" what are you referring to?

My d was in RTC for 10 months.  Lasting change takes time, lots of time.  Most kids in RTC don't even begin to work the program until month 3 (average).

Cutting down RTC time by first attending wilderness sometimes works as the kids are ready to get down to it and have accepted responsibility for themselves.

I know $ and insurance play a huge role in the decisions we have to make (sucks!).  Have you tried working with his school to get any part of RTC covered?

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles

saphirewidow

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »

The 6-8 weeks is what I'm finding many online ads for rtcs are saying as typical stays.  I know my son needs longer.  I'm hoping for 7-8 months or more if needed. His insurance has already covered two 2-3 month stays here in our local facility.  And they may cover some others but prob not the really amazing sounding ones like paradigm or menningers.  I left a message with McLean 3east asking if they could suggest good male teen rtcs for kids with borderline traits.  Haven't heard back yet.  One day at a time. Smiling (click to insert in post)  
saphirewidow

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »

Any experience with Youth Care in Draper Utah?  That is a possibility and apparently they do focus on DBT.  They have accepted my son if the insurance is a go.  The wait will be a few weeks probably but he is stuck in an acute facility right now anyways.  Hoping that if this works out it will be a good place for him. 
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »

My concerns about this program is that it is a behavior modification program and implements the levels system. 

An investment of your time into exploring what a behavior modification program is and how the levels system works would be worth while in the decision making process for an rtc for your son.

Just my opinion. 

lbj

saphirewidow

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »

Regarding Youth Care in Draper. I don't really like the level system and behavior part of the program but when I called they said that they focus on DBT therapy in groups and individual which I thought was weird for it being advertised as so behaviorally focused. Apparently they have been trained by Marsha Linehan for the DBT.  I am nervous about it however I haven't been able to find any other RTCs willing to take him because of his high level of suicidality and that will also take his insurance.  They told me I might have to sign him over to the state to get him on medicaid to get him into some places and I definitely won't do that.  He is my boy and I am not signing him over to dfs.  Crazy.  So the plan right now is Youth Care in Draper.  It has to be better then the acute unit he is stuck in right now.  One day at a time and I will try to let you guys know how it goes. 
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »

I was told the same thing about giving up my parental rights to have RTC covered... .and then I would have no voice in which RTC they might have (or not) sent her to.

Let us know how it goes.

saphirewidow

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »

Just a quick update on Youth Care in Draper, Utah for teens.  So far I am very pleased with the facility.  The living area is open and doesn't feel like a prison. They have good supervision yet it doesn't feel like a prison.  The therapists are really good and the kids have 3 individual therapy sessions per week, music therapy, biofeedback, plus group therapy and dbt skills built into the entire program.  I went to the parent days and they really seem to care about the kids and the communication is really good.  We do a family therapy via skype every week.  They are finishing up his psych testing this week and I am interested to see what they say. My son has a really long way to go and some of it will depend on how willing he is to dig deep and make changes in his thinking which he is struggling with.  He wants to hold onto the dark and "bad" thoughts because they set him apart and he doesn't feel like he deserves to be happy/doesn't want to be happy.  At least this stuff is coming out and he is fairly honest with his therapist.  I am hoping the insurance will continue to cover this as long as he needs to be there but I will also be looking into the IEP route for special education because many of the families have the entire stay covered by their schools.  So far (only 3 weeks in) I am really happy with Youth Care. 
Time2cher
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »

We are in the same situation and are looking at the 3E McLean, it looks good very focused on BPD. Silver hill is beyond our financial means like $49,000 a month I think ouch.

saphirewidow

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »

I thought McClean 3E looked very good but it was just for girls and I needed a place for boys.  If you are able go with them let us know how things work out.  I heard they will be setting up a boys RTC there as well but it wasn't coming until at least October so it didn't work for our situation. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions