Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
December 19, 2014, 01:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderator: Mutt, Rapt Reader
Advisors: DreamGirl, EaglesJuJu, formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, NorthernGirl, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider, Ziggiddy
Ambassadors: clljhns, fred6, Moselle
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) treatment Omega 3 fish oil EPA  (Read 12189 times)
Lostwithbpdwife

« on: April 09, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »

Has anyone seen a noticeable improvement of BPD symptoms from fish oil alone (without other meds and/or therapy).  I ask because I came across a few articles indicating preliminary studies of fish oil administered to BPD patients yielding positive results.  Since my BPD wife refuses treatment of any kind, and since she just gave birth, I convinced her to start taking two fish oil tablets a day "for the baby's health" viz a viz breastfeeding.  So you don't think I'm harming my baby, research also indicates it's very healthy for the baby too.

I am particularly interested in hearing of first hand experiences with fish oil in a BPD context.  Thanks.

Annaleigh

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »

I read this last night:

Zanarini and colleagues published an amazing study exploring the use of omega-3 fatty acids (2003).  This was the prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.  The study included thirty women diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.  The treatment group received a dose of omega-3 fatty acids:  one gram per day.  The other group received placebo.  

By the end of the eight-week study the experimental group showed significant improvement in ratings of aggression and depression compared to the placebo group.  Omega-3 fatty acids have been used experimentally to treat unipolar depression and bipolar disorder and may play a role in enhancing affect control.

Omega-3 is found in fish oils supplements, which can be obtained at health food stores.  This treatment was well tolerated, with virtually no side effects.  Obviously this promising study needs to be replicated.  Stay tuned.

p. 142, Integrative Treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder
Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »

That's the study I was referring to  wink.  Just looking to hear some real life experiences confirming the study.  If true, it should certainly give us all some hope.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Annaleigh

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »

I take fish oil capsules daily from the organic Whole(paycheck) Foods store.  I know personally they do help my mood and fight depression.

I'm getting a bottle for H, after reading your post and the entry in the book I posted.  Can't hurt.  Doing the right thing
T2H
Emeritus

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »

Not related to BPD, but fish oil is the only "vitamin" (supplement/whatever) that I've ever taken that's shown noticeable effects (improved mem, etc).  And I usually took only one per day despite the bottle advising 3.

Steph
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »

It cant hurt to try tho its doubtful that this has panned out, since this was in 2003, 8 yrs ago.. Yet if she has other deficiencies that the fish oil can take care of, awesome!

Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »

Well hopefully she actually takes the capsules when I'm not around.  I will try to report back on my findings in a month or so.  It would be awesome if a few of you were able to try this too and let me know your findings, if at all possible.
damask

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »

The Omega 3s are supposed to be good brain food, maybe that's why it supposedly helps bpd, in part.  It is important to have it high quality, since any chemicals are concentrated in fat, one time when the big dollas for organic is a good idea.  You esp. have to watch out for concentrates of mercury in seafood, darn.

I will be part of the experiment!  We give the fish oil tabs as supplements to our dogs, and my H and I try to remember to take them too.  I prefer to mostly get my nutrition by eating well, but b/c my bpdh has back issues, the fish oil tabs are also recommended for that.  So, I will "help" him to be more consistent about taking them, and also advise re any noticeable improvements...
Lostwithbpdwife

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »

Sounds good.  I should let you all know of one caveat to my experiment however.  My wife almost lost her life when giving birth a few weeks ago (nearly bled to death).  When she recovered she told me how much help she would need from me b/c she was too weak to take care of herself and the baby. 

That's when I finally put my foot down and told her either her mom or my mom was going to stay with us to help because I could not work and do everything else at home.  To give you some background, she had isolated us from pretty much both of our entire families, claiming everyone and anyone had wronged her in some way and that they all were a negative influence in our lives.

Well after I put my foot down in the hospital telling her I was bringing our families back into our lives no matter what she said or did she had what I believe was an extinction burst and raged, first in person, then over the phone, then over text messages all that night how I didn't love her respect her and put her first. 

Finally about 24 hours later, she said fine our families are back in our lives but I will not be the sweet loving wife to you I used to be since you don't respect me. 

WalrusGumboot

Two years out and getting better all the time!

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:04:09 AM »

One study I read suggested it was more important to adjust the ratio between Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils. The study used children that were taking Ritalin to control ADHD. By modifying their diets, which included Omega-3 supplements and reducing their consumption of foods rich in Omega-6 oil (potato chips, fried foods, etc.), the success rate of treatment for ADHD was much greater than by just giving them Omega-3 supplements alone.

"If your're going through hell, keep going..." Winston Churchill
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family