Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 26, 2014, 07:29:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: free-n-clear, lever, Moselle, NorthernGirl, tristesse, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need information on Emotion Focussed Therapy for BPD  (Read 1600 times)
zulumama

« on: April 22, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »

My uBPDh has agreed to counselling with an experienced EFT therapist. I am interested to know if anyone has any information or experience with EFT therapy?

Just to clarify Emotional Freedom Therapy is not the same as Emotion Focussed Therapy which is a form of integrative counselling that has attachment therapy as it's underpinning. It is quite different from DBT but could possibly be used as an adjunct. I just have not seen much around about using it with BPD. Emotion Focussed Therapy is an evidence based therapy often used in couple therapy.

Skip
DSA Recipient
Site Director

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

Here is some information on Emotionally Focused Therapy for couples...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsYntOvTmlA

amazingcharis

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:49:01 AM »

EFT (Emotion Focused Therapy) has been suggested to my uBPDh and I would love to read the article mentioned in the abstract below.  I've looked all over the web but can only find where it was published in the Journal of Psychiatric Practice and it would cost $49 for me to obtain a copy of the article from them which is much too steep for my budget. Does anyone know where else I might be able to obtain a copy of the article to read?

Journal of Psychiatric Practice:
March 2008 - Volume 14 - Issue 2 - pp 94-104
doi: 10.1097/01.pra.0000314316.02416.3e
Articles

Emotion-focused principles for working with borderline personality disorder.
Authors
Warwar SH, Links PS, Greenberg L, et al. 
Institution
St. John's Rehab Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Source
J Psychiatr Pract 2008 Mar; 14(2) :94-104.

Abstract

This paper discusses the function of emotion, its importance in the treatment of individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD), and the integration of emotion-focused therapy (EFT) principles in the psychotherapeutic management of patients with BPD. EFT principles involve emotional assessment; a strong therapeutic alliance as a necessary context for treatment; the therapeutic relationship as a bond that regulates affect through empathy, emotional validation, and interpersonal soothing; emotion-regulation; psychoeducation about emotional processes; the therapist as an emotional coach; and transforming emotion schemes as primary mechanisms of change. The authors discuss how EFT principles can be viewed as primary intervention strategies in the treatment of patients with BPD and how they can be incorporated into various psychotherapy approaches. Based on our experience, the integration of EFT principles into the therapy of patients with BPD shows promise as it has been helpful in targeting BPD symptoms, and is feasible and acceptable to patients.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: