July 24, 2014, 07:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: an0ught, livednlearned, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: BacknthSaddle, corraline, cosmonaut, DreamFlyer99, formflier, free'n'clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, Love is Not Enough, maxen, maxsterling, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, woodsposse, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Think About It...The basic premise of cognitive therapy is that the way we think about events in our lives (cognition) determines how we feel about them (emotions). ~ Jeffrey E. Young PH.D, Reinventing Your Life
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Success rates of DBT  (Read 2565 times)
hotapollo

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »

Thanks for your views.
Steph, Im happy to know that you are success story in here and would certainly seek your advice.
IS there any Book or online program of self-DBT?
My wife is very motivated right now to change and learn and I do not want to let is pass off to another incident of madness and then wish I had taken some steps to help her.

An0ught.
Thanks for placing my position in perspective.
We actually had a discussion where I mentioned to her that we both need to work on ourselves on differnt paths, indvitual to each other.
She has actually enrolled herself for a mind and a thought awarness program for the next weekend. Which is very good! But she is very excited right now and I dont want her to waster her time on some personality development program where she may think she is better but may not actually address her core problem.
She has agreed to let me spend a day apart with my freinds and she with her freinds/ work etc. where we do not need to be with each other.
We have a deep enmeshment issue, which has actually been working in my favor and has actually kept her in this r/s and has avoided her acting out like earlier for fear of loosing me. But I need to loosen up that now so that she is independent in her thinking and actions.

I will look up the book that you have proposed and purchase it online. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to look it up before "accidently" handing it to her.

In the meanwhile I have got my wife to realise that she HAS a problem and she WANTS to work on it for the sake of this r/s. But Im now not sure how to proceed. I Stay in a place where access to good therapists who are qaulified in DBT and BPD patients. In this scenario what can I do?
Will the book suggested by you help her?

Is it possible for someone to read a book on self- DBT and has it helped?
Auspicious
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »

If she's that willing to work on herself, resources like BPDRecovery.com may be helpful to her.

Regarding DBT ... I know it sounds "extreme", but can she travel somewhere to get it? Stay with family soemwhere? Anything?  BPD is a serious illness; think of this like finding a cancer center or something.

Have you read the Lessons?

hotapollo

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »

I think BPDrecovery is a good site. But then Im stopping myself short of calling her a "BPD"!

I agree that BPD is a serious illness and I want to make sure she is in safe hands. There are quite a few therapists where I live, but Im not sure if anyone practices in BPD.
I guess ill have to individually talk to each one and see if they can administer it.
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic