Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 30, 2014, 09:26:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwaminalivednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: Aveyron, Aussie JJ, caredverymuch, free-n-clear, lever, NorthernGirl, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can two or more siblings each have BPD?  (Read 2820 times)
rich5a

« on: May 12, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »

can two or more siblings each have bpd?

blackandwhite
Distinguished Member
Administrator (Retired)

Back to my old colorful self

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:24 AM »

Yes, it's possible. There isn't definitive research yet on the factors that lead to BPD or the co-incidence among families, but research suggests that there is often a family connection; the circumstances, both genetic and environmental, that may lead to the development of BPD could affect more than one sibling.

B&W

What they call you is one thing.
What you answer to is something else.
                           --Lucille Clifton

PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »

Yes, I can't remember the exact statistics, but if 1 sibling has bpd the chances of another sibling also having BPD or another cluster B personality disorder is much higher than the general population. There are definite inherited traits as well as environmental upbringing that can make a person more susceptible to developing BPD. Siblings typical tend to share both components of nature and nurture so it is a double whammy. However, there are plenty of siblings of borderlines that don't develop BPD - there are a lot of factors and not just one singled out cause for BPD. 

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

rich5a

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »

The sister of my xbpdgf is immersed in Christianity, extremely. I dont know her well enough to see bpd traits...
I was curious about bpd within families.
Thanks
jaleo2000

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »

Absolutely, my UBPD/NPD mother has a sister with UBPD and a half sister with UNPD and possibly UBPD (she is the most covert and high functioning of them all, an excellent emotional blackmailer, and the princess and the waif in one).  Of her two brothers from her FOO one of my uncles has ADDHD and is very avoidant (don't know enough to call him disordered, don't think so) and the other uncle has OCD and might have APD.  My grandfather was UNPD, and I am sure the legacy continues on up the tree. I have taken to examining the old family fotos and am probably projecting a crazy eyed look in some of my forebears.  I completely believe there is a genetic component and a relation to ADD.  I myself am so verbally impulsive that I was examined for ADHD (at the tender age of 43) but no, I am just really impulsive. 
jdtm

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »

Interesting - I always suspected anxiety disorders and BPD were often co-morbid, but I never considered ADD/ADHD.  We're always learning ...
bpdlover

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:48:36 AM »

Opposite with my ex. She is always going on about living up to her Christian parents expectations. Her sister seems ok.
CodependentHusband

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:55:02 AM »

Interesting - I always suspected anxiety disorders and BPD were often co-morbid, but I never considered ADD/ADHD.  We're always learning ...

I've read that there is a high correlation, and that BPD can be misdiagnosed as ADD or ADHD (not necessarily co-mormid, mind you)... In fact, my wife, prior to her BPD dx, has stated that she thought she might have ADHD.

"Chaos is for cowards"
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family