COMPARISON: BiPolar Disorder vs BPD

<< < (12/12)

hergestridge:
Triss: Lithium is also used to used for treatment of BPD. I asked this question elsewhere on this forum and got a reply with a link and all. My wife has a combination of seroquel + lithium.

There has been some debate over wether my wife is bipolar or has BPD, but the meds she's one should be doing effect regardless of which.

lemon flower:
thx hergestridge. currently my ex takes seroquel but to get lithium he needs to see a psychiatrist which he refuses at the moment.

also he was told by someone that taking lithium makes everything you eat taste different and smell strange   

can someone confirm this ?

hergestridge:
Quote from: triss on March 08, 2014, 03:22:37 AM

thx hergestridge. currently my ex takes seroquel but to get lithium he needs to see a psychiatrist which he refuses at the moment.

also he was told by someone that taking lithium makes everything you eat taste different and smell strange   

can someone confirm this ?

My wife hasn't had that experience. The only thing she's had (and I've under that's common) is thirst and craving for sweet drinks.

Thing with mood stabilizers is that is makes you kind of dumb I think. Lithium has been effective in some ways but she's been even more prone to ignore her behavioral problems now.

spemat:
I can speak from my experience.  I am diagnosed with bipolar I disorder and ADHD and sort of PTSD (it's agreed that it is there between my psych nurse).  My manias last several months and are followed by long periods of apathy.  I am consistent in my moods though.  I tend to feel like my body is running on adrenaline and some points and almost dead (yet still hyperactive out of sheer antsy urge, ADHD).  I can't wind down during some episodes.

I deal with delusions and hallucinations.  My whole system literally changes... . I can smell better, taste better, want to take on everything and love everyone, sometimes paranoia, like schizophrenia paranoia but they're consistent with me.

My mom and brother both have BPD, my brother is also addicted to a few things and not sober so his is different than hers.  With them, just based on my gut feeling, it was set off or emotive in nature.  It is like being possessed with me but it is almost like they are overburdened with emotion and want others to feel the way they do.  When I am manic and people try to tell me to calm down, I don't understand their problem and think they are jealous of me or they they are manic or something.  I find that I get argumentative but often with people that are more apt to feed into it not knowing that I won't stop and my mom and brother can seem to defuse and whatnot for some period.  One seems emotional.  If I take meds for bipolar I disorder (Lamictal and sometimes Klonopin) and ADHD (Dexedrine).  I stay stable for years as long as I stop myself at times and eat healthy and take meds but even then, I go off, sometimes due to conflict or a death or something or just because I need meds raised.

EaglesJuju:
BPD and BiPD seem somewhat similar.  

The difference is there is a baseline of stable normative behavior in BiPD.  There are manic, depressive, mixed, and hypomanic episodes that last up to a week or a few days.  One of the episodes tend to follow another, for example a major depressive episode followed by a manic episode.  

Certain diagnoses of BiPD will be based on their latest episode. The periods of the cycling of the mood can be consistent, for example someone with BiPD can have seasonal manic episodes.  Essentially, it is a temporary spike in their mood and they will eventually go back to their baseline mood.  

On the other hand, with BPD there is no baseline. PwBPD have a persistent pattern of behavior.  A person with BPD can reflect instability with their mood but it tends to last a few hours and rarely less then a few days.  

There is an association between antidepressants and rapid cycling.  To my understanding, there has to be 4 periods of either manic, hypomanic, depression, or mixed episode within 12 months to be have a rapid-cycling specifier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page