Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 04:07:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aspergers and BPD  (Read 2833 times)
Smugly

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »

Sorry - I posted before I had finished! 

... .  hereditary conditions and it certainly has nothing to do with parenting.  I believe parents of those with BPD should also take comfort in the fact that they did nothing wrong as parents, as when enough research is done into the origins of BPD i think they will find the same genetic link.  My SIL had a normal loving childhood with parents who gave their children all the opportunities they could.  She still suffers from BPD and blames my MIL most especially for being the way she is.   
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
mamachelle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »

Very informative posts. Just adding a bit in here. I've spent the past year immersed in BPD , autism, dbt, and schizophrenia literature. This thread here is some of the best and most validating real word stuff. Thank you all!

The autism dx is based on observation and also parental questionnaires as well as cognitive testing . If one of the parents normalizes the behavior as in my NonH ... .  It skews the data. My Ss15 (mom is BPD and brother Ss10 is bipolar) got the pdd-nos and bipolar and hypotonia and learning disorder dx but did not get an aspergers like traits addition until the neuropsych had me complete some key questions like " do I think my son will ever be able to live independently? ". My nonH and extended family buried collective heads in the sand for years and blamed it on a speech delay and SS mother not talking to him enough !

The world and schools are so much more supportive if autism dx than BPD.  I was told there was no DBT for kids in the entire large metro area because it is only for suicidal teens and older.

So I went DIY and trying to incorporate it myself.

All for now, obviously more education of treating and dx ing professionals is needed.
Resiliant

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »

I just had to bring this one up again before the next sweep!

This is one of my favorite threads, and so much of this has resonated with me.

My heart breaks and goes out to Reality, her son was about the same age as my son.

I have so much more to say but right now, no time so I'll be back.

R

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest