July 31, 2014, 12:21:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: an0ught, livednlearned, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: BacknthSaddle, corraline, cosmonaut, DreamFlyer99, formflier, free'n'clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, Love is Not Enough, maxen, maxsterling, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, woodsposse, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Think About It... Defending our boundaries is more than a response in times of conflict - it's a lifestyle. Learn how to get in touch with your values, define and communicate boundaries of those values, and defend against boundary busters. ~ Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A turn for the books... a little suspicious... but need help...  (Read 263 times)
happygolucky

« on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

My DD psychiatrist is going to phone me today apparently... My DD phoned my 3 times at work to make sure that I would be home for the phone call today. I need to sit by the phone and wait...She has mentioned that it is life and death!
My DD is across the country... homeless and in hospital for a few weeks while they get her medication right.
Been through this before... it is a place to stay before she works out what to do to move on.
We have been told that she is buying a car and this is what she will live in when she moves on.
Meanwhile... DD will not speak to my husband, has made threats against us and lied about being pregnant so that I will go and see her.
I know that she is hurting badly... but... I cannot help her... I cannot solve her problems. I cannot go and see her. I am not prepared to put her up in a motel room with me as basically I am frightened of her unpredictability. I just won't put myself in that position. This is the nature of her crisis... do something wrong, get in trouble, call for mum's help, cry that she needs to see me, then when I stick to my guns, she gets over it, moves on with some guy, we don't hear from her while she is getting what she wants, then it gets bad, she does something wrong... then we go through all of this again. DD knows that she is required to take her medication but she will not comply with that either... it seems that the drugs and alcohol do a better job... but at some point she needs to come down... and that's when I cop it all.

I an writing this... wondering what to do... should I ring the crisis care line in my state and have a chat... maybe they could verify where she is and contact her doctor
But... I am waiting next to the phone... my husband say's that I should not answer it... because it will be the same old story and we have no control over the situation... I am torn... this morning.

It was interesting yesterday... DD saying that she wished I was dead and hung up only to ring back again. I have not had any conversations where I can validate her feelings, all she does is rant and then I can't even have a rational conversation with her.

Any thoughts appreciated
Happygolucky
happygolucky

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »

I had the phone call...

I gave a brief history of what has been going on...
I actually think that this psychiatrist listened to what I had to say.
Oh boy! I actually heard empathy... from him

I now hope that with some of the history... things can be put in place for DD.
The trouble is you can't make them do anything... They have to want to do it...
One positive thing... DD did take herself to hospital to get help...

Happygolucky
Battle Weary

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:40 PM »

Happygolucky,
While I haven't been through what you have, I would have taken the call too on the off chance the P was really trying to understand the situation by getting some history from the family.  It sounds like this is what happened.  I am pulling for you and her--perhaps this will be the time it turns around.
Please Welcome New Parents to our Community
See a new name or one that you don't recognize?
Every day we have new parents showing up here and trying to find help and a shoulder to lean on.

Having a child suffering from BPD can be very challenging.

Please check-in to their thread - it does make a difference.
thinking

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »

They listened  smiley It's a start. I actually watched something on youtube from a Dr. in Boston who specializes in BPD. He runs an rtc. He was saying that when a child is hospitalized (any age) they should not have visitors. It re-enforces the negative behavior. So use that piece of advice from the experts and don't feel bad for not running to her. Run to her when things are good, not when things are falling down.
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic
What is BPD - Child
End the Cycle of Conflict
Validation Skills
Empathy Skills
Parental Alienation
Dialectal Dilemma (audio)

Book Reviews
Endorsed Books
Other Staff Reviews
Member Reviews
Articles - New
Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde
Diagnosis of BPD
Treatment of BPD
Series: My Child
Series: My Significant Other
Series: My Parent/Sibling
Series: My Failing Romance

Articles - Archive
Symptoms of BPD
A Clinical Perspective
Supporting a Loved One
Helping Him/Her Seek Treatment
Treatment of BPD
Leaving a Partner
Depression
Codependency
Sexual Addiction
Healthy Relationships

Content - Messageboard
Top 50 Questions
Top Workshops
About Us
The Mission
Professional Endorsements
2,000 Member Testimonials
Policy and Disclaimers
Blog

Messageboard
Directory
Guidelines
Appeal Moderation
Help-Technical
Manual

Donations
Become a Sponsor
Your Account

Other
Domestic Violence Crisis
Suicidal Ideation

EMERGENCY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
images/mb/panel_parenting1.jpgimages/mb/panel_parenting2.jpg
index.php?topic=114267.msg1125531#msg1125531index.php?topic=114267.msg1125530#msg1125530index.php?topic=114267.msg1125528#msg1125528index.php?topic=114267.msg1125526#msg1125526index.php?topic=114267.msg1125525#msg1125525