Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 21, 2014, 11:13:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: Aussie JJ, BacknthSaddle, caredverymuch, contradancer, formflier, free-n-clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing
Please Welcome New Parents to our Community
Every day we have new parents joining and trying make sense of it all. Just making a single post a day to newcomers will make a huge difference in peoples lives. Look for the CD designation in your "unread posts since last visit" or go directly to the Newbie board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's better to be overweight than suicidal? Right?  (Read 1885 times)
almostvegan

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »

I hope I did not come off sounding crass about  weight. I personally work for a weight loss company and lost a considerable amount of weight.( over 30 pounds) I worry about my daughter and finding a dress not at all because of my perception of her but bc of her own! All her friends are thin. Her younger sister as well as myself. I'm afraid she won't find a dress that " makes her look thin" and that in itself will depress her. Believe me when I say she is beautiful. Size isn't an issue for me but it is for her. I constantly show her photos of beautiful plus size people and remind her that her weight gain is likely a result of her medicines and has no bearing on her character or value. My aunt, who practically raised me and who my children loved was close to 300 pounds and she was gorgeous to us.
I hope I wasn't misunderstood here.
Gamegirl: you are an inspiration. I'd love to hear more of your successes.
Peace to you all

lbjnltx
Distinguished Member
Emeritus

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »

just to clarify my reason for saying "no" to concerta...one of the possible side affects is psychosis...my dd15 has struggled w/this in the past and i in no way wanted to take that risk.

lbjnltx

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
heronbird

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:35:49 AM »

But a lot of the meds side effects are suicidal thoughts, how ironic is that. I was concerned about that, thats why I  prefer her in rtc when they introduce new meds. Anyway, my dd has had no side effects from meds. Im the one who put on the weight haha. No excuse, just the stress of it all. I have also lost over 30 LBs now at last.

The psychosis has gone or eased off since my dd has been on quitipine for 6 months, so I am pleased about that.

Its such a good idea to help your dd if she is putting on weight. But its not easy. I hope it works out ok. Is it a case of because the meds are just introduced and when she gets used to them she can settle. My dd always gets extreemly tired for first three weeks or so.
A couple comments - yes, it is better to be overweight than constantly suicidal.  You have to weigh the benefits with the risks when taking meds.  I gained weight when I started meds for bipolar, but I also gained a stable life.  Weight can come off.   Death is forever. 

Is she the one with the issues about weight or are you?  I got married at 200 pounds and they made a dress to fit me.   She'll find one for your brother's wedding.  And I lost all the weight I gained. 

Also, oddly none of the meds she is on are weight gainers.  The problem people usually have is that they lose weight on these meds.  Concerta is essentially speed. It supresses apetite.

Perhaps she should have her thyroid checked.

PS - to dpeak to the side effects issue.  I have been on meds for 22 years and am extremely healthy.  No medical problems whatsoever.  No cognitive issues.   I have two biological children and went of meds for both pregnancies.  I adopted a third child.  I work.  I have a normal life because of the medication.  Will I be a little wonky at 70?  Who knows, but I do know that I would have been dead at 25 were it not for the medication.

keep strong and look after yourself

Fall Fund Drive
Hi guys. Thanks for all that you do everyday to help others and to make BPDFamily a healing place.
On behalf of all of those that will benefit in 2015, we thank everyone for doing their part and "paying it forward".
heronbird

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 02:36:57 AM »

Sorry, still havent worked out quoting very well grin But just wanted to say what a good point that was by gamegirl

almostvegan

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »

Heronbird: to clarify no the meds aren't new. It's been about a year on prozac with no weight gain. Only after adding abilify in July did she start to put on weight.  She always comPlaons she's hungry even after eating tremendous meals. For example this morning she had a huge bowl of vegetable stew with quinoa a big cup of tea and was still hungry after.
heronbird

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »

Sorry, am I getting confussed, is it the ablifly then? as that is a newly introduced med if she only started it in July, well quite new.

Oh gosh, that sounds like my dd, she eats like she hasnt eaten for weeks, like a cave man a bit, then shes hungry again. but she is tiny because she lives on her nerves I guess. and maybe some people are more likely to put on weight naturally, like me. I bet I would if I was on anything or depressed. So these meds make you so hungry by the sound of it.

Gosh hope you get some help with it  Doing the right thing

INFORMATION ABOUT THE 'PARENTING A CHILD, TEEN, or ADULT' BOARD

Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment. It is also our objective to evaluate and improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family role model. For information and an overview please click here :

peaceplease

Home Board: CD-BPD Child

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »

heronbird - Yes, it is the Abilify.  Concerta is a stimulant and should decrease appetite.  And, Prozac was actually given for weight loss at one time.(for the off side effect)  And, as I mentioned, the P at the facility where I once worked prescribed Topomax to help with appeitite.  It was amazing how it helped these girls.  Of course, they had a plan with the nutritionist, too. 

My uBPDd,(prescribed by her pcp) being the exception to the norm had the opposite effect on her appetite.  So, although, some meds have a s.e. of decreased appetite, there is always an exception.  Wierd, huh?

almostvegan - I understand how you are concerned about your dd's weight. If she is botherd by it, then I can understand how you would feel bad about it.  Please try to not make any comments about her size.  Let her be the first to mention tat she is not happy with her size.  If she has mentioned it, you can ask her doctor for any suggestions.  Some are sympathetic and will work with you. But, there ar some that are not so sympathetic and will tell you to just move away from the table.  I undertand how hard it is.  As, I mentioned in a previous post, I gained significant amount of weight when I was on prednisone.  I totally can empathize with the carb cravings.  And, my dr. just told me to wak away from the table.  In that mometn, I just wish he could have experienced my appetite, and myabe he would change his opinion.

On the topic of weight and girl's self esteem ---- NOt, that I am referring to you, almostvegan.  But, this is about my exMIL -- She is always commenting on my niece's weight.  I get so angry with her when she does it.  Whenever she comments on her weight, I remind her that she has a big frame, and she carries it well.  Seriously, she is a BEAUTIFUL plus size girl.  In fact, if I was in the modeling recruit business, I would definitley recruit her.  She is a stunning beauty.  My exMIL just sees her weight.  I would be furious with her when she mentioned my dd's weight.   I always had to to damage control from her remarks. Devilish

Perhaps, you can ask her dr. if he has suggestions.  Meanwhile, look for a nice plus size dress.

GameGirl

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »

I hope I did not come off sounding crass about  weight. I personally work for a weight loss company and lost a considerable amount of weight.( over 30 pounds) I worry about my daughter and finding a dress not at all because of my perception of her but bc of her own! All her friends are thin. Her younger sister as well as myself. I'm afraid she won't find a dress that " makes her look thin" and that in itself will depress her. Believe me when I say she is beautiful. Size isn't an issue for me but it is for her. I constantly show her photos of beautiful plus size people and remind her that her weight gain is likely a result of her medicines and has no bearing on her character or value. My aunt, who practically raised me and who my children loved was close to 300 pounds and she was gorgeous to us.
I hope I wasn't misunderstood here.
Gamegirl: you are an inspiration. I'd love to hear more of your successes.
Peace to you all

Thanks.  I also wanted to mention that meds like Concerta were not an option for me for my ADHD symptoms, but I have done very well on Straterra.
griz

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »

Although it is certainly better to be overweight than suicidal, these drugs have in some respects made my daughter worse.  My daughter started on Lexapro and abilify. The abilify made her sick so they changed her to seroquel XR.  As soon as she started the Seroquel we started to see her apetite increase.  It was almost unbelievable.  She was becoming distraught about the fact that she couldn't stop herself from eating.  The Dr. then changed her to Lithium which had the same apetite increasing effect.  In 6 months my daughter gained 42lbs.  She became even more upset with herself and felt like on top of her depression and anxiety she was now "fat and worthless".  Her words not mine.  Finally the doctor changed her to lamictyl which is suppose to not have the weight gaining effect.  It has been 3 months and she has been working out and not one pound has come off.  My heart just breaks for her.  She is 16 years old and has struggled with BPD for 2 years now and she is trying so hard yet this is really holding her back.  We encourage her to eat healthy and we tell her that it is more important that she is feeling better, but her response is just that being  "fat" depresses her  so how is she better.  Someone told me that it could be the lexapro that is making her gain weight.  Has anyone ever had this problem with lexapro.

"Give everything but UP"
peaceplease

Home Board: CD-BPD Child

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »

Unfortunately, many SSRIs have a possible side effect of weight gain. What about Wellbutrin?  Has she tried that one?  And, as I mentioned in previous post, Topomax helped many decrease appetite.  But, then my dd had the opposite effect.  I know that I gained some weight when I was taking Celexa.  Really, everyone is different.

2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
Alex86
antifragile
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bobbyvp
bpdfamfan
captain4464
catclaw
chooselove
chump
claudiaduffy
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
doubleAries
Emelie Emelie
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
HappyChappy
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Hope26
imataloss
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
joolz29
jthorpejr
KarenDH
kc sunshine
kiddfei
kidsteele
Kwamina
Leelou
lever
Lmls
Loveofhislife
MammaMia
maxen
Memorial Donation
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
qcarolr
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Reforming
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
seahorse
Should I stay or…
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
Theo41
thereishope
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
twojaybirds
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
winston72
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
images/mb/panel_parenting1.jpgimages/mb/panel_parenting2.jpg
index.php?topic=114267.msg1125531#msg1125531index.php?topic=114267.msg1125530#msg1125530index.php?topic=114267.msg1125528#msg1125528index.php?topic=114267.msg1125526#msg1125526index.php?topic=114267.msg1125525#msg1125525