April 20, 2014, 09:01:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Today's Feature: WORKSHOP: Do you know the art of WiseMind?  Learn more
Moderators: DreamGirl, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: an0ught, heartandwhole, livednlearned, pessim-optimist, Surnia, Waverider, winston72
Ambassadors: crumblingdad, DreamFlyer99, growing_wings, Kwamina, learning_curve74, maxsterling, maxen, Mutt, peaceplease, scallops, Turkish
Guidelines: Terms of Service, Abbreviations
  Home Blog   Boards   Help Login Register  
What is this?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is better DBT or Schema therapy  (Read 836 times)
Rhymes w/Orange
Formerly bpdhope, truthwillsetyoufree

« on: February 15, 2012, 01:50:20 AM »

Hi
If given the choice between DBT or Schema therapy, which one would you choose for your pwBPD (male specifically, if it matters)?
Rhymes w/Orange
Formerly bpdhope, truthwillsetyoufree

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

Anyone haveany thoughts about it?
CaptainM
Emeritus

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »

I'm afraid I can't provide any direct insight into Schema - but my ex went through about 6 months of 2 x weekly sessions of DBT and there were definitely improvements in her impulsiveness and her ability to cope with day-to-day life without falling off the rails (it also helped with her anger control).

Unfortunately once she decided to scale back the treatments (and eventually stopped them) she quite quickly regressed (although the impulse control and some of the better coping mechanism stuff seemed to stick).

So whilst I can't contrast with Schema, I can recommend DBT from my third hand experience.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: