Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 02, 2015, 06:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Current Feature: The challenge of having a borderline parent read more
Administrators: DreamGirl, Mutt, Rapt Reader,
Moderators: EaglesJuJu, Kwamina, livednlearned, Rise, Turkish, Waverider   
Advisors: clljhns, formflier, maxen, NorthernGirl, Ripped Heart, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing
Video: Validation -- encouraging peace in a "BPD" family Alan Fruzzetti Ph.D. provides an in-depth explanation of validating and invalidating communications and the importance of creating a validating environment for the entire family. This is a "must see" for any family that has a family member who has a highly sensitive personality or who may be suffering from BPD.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about consoling?  (Read 221 times)
Mike76

« on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »

I am in consoling and my wife is not,  I started consoling with my first consular almost a year ago now, left them for a new consular after about 3-4 months.  I left the first consular for a few reasons: scheduling conflicts, my wife knew of this consular and once told me if she ever needed to talk to one she would talk to them(she changed her mind),  I feel the consular told me to leave my marriage to easily and there was nothing I could do. (Told me this several times)

My new consular I like and I do feel stronger when I tald to them...

My experience :  I feel like all I do is paint my wife black and list all the crazy stuff my wife does when I talk to them.  I also get ask what I want to do...  He is helping me with change, (ie setting boundaries although we do not call it by that name),  I have ask more than once "What am I doing wrong?, I am human I must be making mistakes", I have never got a answer... 

Few of my concerns: we never talk about BPD,  he has never encourage my wife to attend, and I told him last session a friend and doctor told my wife she should think about consoling.  When I told him this he gave me a reference for someone other than him.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

eeyore

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »

does your counselor have experience with BPD?  To me this makes a BIG difference. 

Wanda

Person in your life: Romantic Partner

living one day at a time, one moment at a time...

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »

I went to a Therapist many years ago but my husband did also but not for BPD, Most therapist  can't diagnoise BPD due to the person with BPD has to be diagnoised  first.
I was told he did have some type of personality disorder, and i needed to figure out which one my therapist and i went through lots of personality symptoms signs non fit till we go to BPD. i read The first book i hate you don't leaveme  fit my husband to a tee.
so from there i was told that i needed to learn tool and skills ways to deal with him, and i beleive they knew he had BPD i beleive he does but he isn't diagnoised due to he  beleive he doesn't have a problem. i asked his therapist if he could just tell him what he has and i was told good chance he won't be back he wanted to make sure i learned all i could first. and so i did. he was told and  never came back... 

Letting go of what was or what you thought was, and accepting what is, is all part of the piece to the puzzle  we need to move forward.

united for now
Emeritus

Person in your life: Romantic Partner

Talking about solutions create solutions

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:03 AM »

YOU are in counseling - not your wife.
YOU are the patient - not your wife.

Your counselor is working on YOU, not your wife. They are working to help YOU make better decisions and to help you understand the dynamics of your relationship. Their role isn't to give you any answers. It's up to you to decide how you want to live your life. You live according to your own values. Not someone else's.

And some counselors don't want to see both partners, to maintain an impartial attitude. Thus why he gave you a referral for her to see someone else.

Change your perceptions and you change your life.  Nothing changes without changes

eeyore

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »

YOU are in counseling - not your wife.
YOU are the patient - not your wife.

Your counselor is working on YOU, not your wife. They are working to help YOU make better decisions and to help you understand the dynamics of your relationship. Their role isn't to give you any answers. It's up to you to decide how you want to live your life. You live according to your own values. Not someone else's.

And some counselors don't want to see both partners, to maintain an impartial attitude. Thus why he gave you a referral for her to see someone else.

I agree with you UFN.  I also think it's helpful to the non to see a counselor who is familiar with BPD because otherwise I think some aren't able to help the non sufficiently.

2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
aeoma
Alex86
All4BVM
antifragile
Aurora7
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
Being Mindful
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bluetooth
bobbyvp
Bookworm77
Boss302
bpdfamfan
captain4464
Carebearx2m
careman
Caresaboutsomeonelikethis
Cat Familiar
catclaw
catnap
caughtnreleased
cehlers55
chooselove
Chosen
chump
claudiaduffy
cleotokos
clydegriffith
Cmjo
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
Dire Wolf
doubleAries
draptemp
Dutched
Emelie Emelie
emoinferno
enlighten me
F150
findingmyselfagain
flowerpath
foggydew
ForeverDad
forget-me-not
Free2Bee
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
GeekyGirl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
Grey Kitty
HappyChappy
HappyNihilist
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Heshie
hithere
Hope26
hope2727
howcanI?
imataloss
In Pain
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
jjclark
Johnjm
joolz29
jthorpejr
JulesC
kaer
kappa
KarenDH
kc sunshine
Keep
KeepOnGoing
kiddfei
kidsteele
kj1234
KQuestionsItAll
Kwamina
landofoz
Leelou
lemon flower
lever
Linda Maria
lipstick
Lmls
Loveofhislife
Lucky One
maid
MammaMia
maric
maxen
mdg2101
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
Memorial Donation
mggt
michel71
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
NewWays
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
outside9x
overcomer
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
picturelady
Pingo
PinkieV
Pou
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
propunchingbag
qcarolr
qkslvrgirl
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Recooperating
Reforming
ReluctantSurvivor
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
Scarlet Phoenix
schwing
SCM
seahorse
SES
Should I stay or...
sirius
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
stargazer3
StayOrLeave15
stupafly
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
swiftkick
Take2
Theo41
thereishope
Tiepje3
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
tuum est61
twojaybirds
ugghh
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
White_Lily
winston72
Witchway
yeeter
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

index.php?topic=56206.msg913187#msg913187