Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 26, 2014, 08:38:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: free-n-clear, lever, Moselle, NorthernGirl, tristesse, Ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Highly Recommended Book ... One of the main ways we keep ourselves involved in addictive, negative and hurtful relationships is to pretend that this negative present moment isn’t happening. In this book, Margalis Fjelstad, PhD., shows that the only way out of an addictive relationship is to change how we function, what we are willing to put up with, and to develop the courage to make changes.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: its insanity  (Read 3082 times)
rich5a

« on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »

Its baffling...and still very painful. I can read and read but still the burden doesnt lift. I understand there is no future with her...it is a dead end, the only way to win is not to play. The last time I saw her, we went to dinner. Italian. A very nice cozy restaurant, not too crowded with good food. Not that it mattered to me  I could be anywhere with her when it was good and we were grooving which was typically only hours at best. Anyway the night was clicking and we were laughing and talking and I was truly having a wonderful time. Desert was on the table, rasberry mousse, expresso, cappucinno and things were great... laughing so much, really I love her.  I was facing a large window and I suppose I glanced up and looked out the window which I may have? She pounced. "YOU WANT TO GO HOME" "I SEE YOU LOOKING OUTSIDE BECAUSE YOURE WORRIED ABOUT THE TIME"! on and on she goes, like fingernails on a chalkboard...the fantastic evening is tainted with the absurd...again. "what are you saying babe" I respond? " please stop" I am enjoying myself and want to stay with you...etc. She continues to dysregulate and rage. She Leaves me there. I pay the $140 bill
and walk out alone. The irony..the whole place could feel the love radiate between us before the BPD meter expired and all hell broke loose.
The severity of symptoms must vary amongst pwBPD. There was never more than 12 hours before the inevitable and outrageous accusations hit. After insatiable love making and tears in my eyes proclaiming love...I momentarily saw her vulnerability in her eyes. I would whisper " I LOVE YOU" hold her so tight..I could never get close enough and wanted to crawl inside of her. No matter how I loved her...the result was the same. hours later...more accusation and hate. I dont know..it is so freaking sad.  I know I couldnt continue always on the guard...it only becomes more bizzare...the whole thing is absurd. They are incapable of trust...After i am crying and loving her...she responds..you dont love me...You only want to f--- me for free! You think I am a whore...etc..over and over...Who says that? No matter how you console, confirm, preach,plead,cry,love,spend, give...The result always is the same.                   
avoidatallcost

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I can't tell you how many times this very incident was replayed during my year with my BP ex.  The most trivial action on my part would also cause the BP meter to run out only for all hell to break lose.  And no matter how much I tried to calm the situation, the rage would only get worse. 

Such a tragic disorder for everyone involved.
diotima

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »

The best thing you can do when they start that crap is leave the scene. What is done is done though and now it is time for healing. Intimacy is a trigger for them. That wonderful dinner and the intimacy (all intimacy) revs up their abandonment fears. What for us is a moment of delicious closeness is for them utter terror--and there is no reasoning with them because for them the threat is felt as coming from the outside.
Diotima

avoidatallcost

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:49:01 PM »

The best thing you can do when they start that crap is leave the scene. What is done is done though and now it is time for healing. Intimacy is a trigger for them. That wonderful dinner and the intimacy (all intimacy) revs up their abandonment fears. What for us is a moment of delicious closeness is for them utter terror--and there is no reasoning with them because for them the threat is felt as coming from the outside.
Diotima

This is true, and it took several scenes like this before I smartened up and just left at the start of her BPD-like behavior.  The problem with BPD is, just as you learn how to react to one form of craziness, the BP always manages to increase the crazy making in other ways.  They are always two steps ahead of you.  Just when you have learned to deal with one set of insanity, they unleash a whole new load of insanity upon you.  And you just keep taking it, more and more.. you keep thinking "hey I'm getting better at this maybe I'll be able to deal with the next set of crazymaking better."

But you never do.  You just keep taking more of their insanity.. until you think you can't take any more.  But you always do, until the end..

which is when they secure the replacement and get rid of you.  In the most possibly hurtful way that they can of course wink

And so the BPD pattern repeats itself over and over and over again..
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for members with failed or failing relationships that want to detach from their relationship and relationship wounds. If you are still analyzing the decision to stay, please post on Undecided: Staying or Leaving
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
Gus926

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »

The best thing you can do when they start that crap is leave the scene.

This is true, and it took several scenes like this before I smartened up and just left at the start of her BPD-like behavior.  
Which further reinforces the thoughts and fears of abandonment. (Not busting your ba**s or anything, just saying...)

I did this very thing a few times.  When I saw things spiraling out of control,  I would just remove myself from the equation, step back, reevaluate and figure out what happened, and then try to reengage and fix it.  All "normal" behavior to me and, I would think, most adults.

However, to her, it was "You just left...".  I didn't know it at that time, but looking back at those times and remembering the emotion and, if I may, fear in her voice when she would say "You just left...", well...it just breaks my heart that I wasn't able to fix it.  It's a no-win.  By staying it feeds the problem and by leaving it feeds the fear.

Frustrating.
diotima

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:05 AM »

I know what you mean about how heartbreaking it is not to be able to "fix it." No, we can't. The BPD is running on a script and will not examine that script and where it is coming from, and the BPD will keep on doing that as long as no outside help is sought.
Diotima

avoidatallcost

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »

I doubt even outside help can make much of a change.  My BP ex was in therapy and on some pretty good medication, but the disorder still always won.  Despite all the help she sought and received, living with her and her disorder was a nightmare and like living in hell on earth for me.  I can only imagine what she was like and what her previous boyfriends had to put up with before she was in therapy or on medication.

I've also read posts by members here who have mentioned their BP SO's being in therapy and on drugs for 5 or 10 or even more years without things improving much.  I have read that one or two people on the staying board have mentioned that their SO's improved, but I'm not sure whether this is just the calm before the inevitable storm, or whether they have just grown accustomed to taking more and more abuse, or whether the BP's behavior has in fact improved.  Or who knows maybe they just didn't have a "severe" form of the disorder.  Whatever it is, your guess is as good as mine.

This combined with everything I have read from PhD's on this topic and what therapists have written/told me, gives me the impression that there is very very little chance that even therapy or drugs can make much of a difference.  My own therapist told me I was lucky to get out alive.  A surgeon friend of mine, who's father is a therapist and treats borderlines from time to time, told me that her dad hates treating borderlines because they're so difficult and manipulative.  

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:04:07 AM by avoidatallcost » Logged
diotima

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

Avoid: I think you are correct. I do know of a *few* success stories, but they are VERY few and far between. For the most part it is a lost cause. The father of a friend of mine, who is a psychoanalyst, claimed they were untreatable. My T said she no longer wants to deal with them--that she has done her share. A friend of mine, also a T, has gradually limited her practice and excluded them although she does have a couple of them--and one that is a real success after a number of years and much abuse on the part of the BPD. More of her clients are people trying to recover from having been with a BPD. Not  lol That said: my ex falls into the "hopeless" category.
Diotima

avoidatallcost

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »

A friend of mine, also a T, has gradually limited her practice and excluded them although she does have a couple of them--and one that is a real success after a number of years and much abuse on the part of the BPD.

Diotima, does this friend of yours go into any detail about what she thinks of the whole BPD issue?  Does she limit her treatment of them because they are too difficult, or because she can't hear anymore about how much they hurt the people in their lives?   
Rayw

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »

"The severity of symptoms must vary amongst pwBPD. There was never more than 12 hours before the inevitable and outrageous accusations hit. After insatiable love making and tears in my eyes proclaiming love...I momentarily saw her vulnerability in her eyes. I would whisper " I LOVE YOU" hold her so tight..I could never get close enough and wanted to crawl inside of her. No matter how I loved her...the result was the same. hours later...more accusation and hate. I dont know..it is so freaking sad.  I know I couldnt continue always on the guard...it only becomes more bizzare...the whole thing is absurd. They are incapable of trust...After i am crying and loving her...she responds..you dont love me...You only want to f--- me for free! You think I am a whore...etc..over and over...Who says that? No matter how you console, confirm, preach,plead,cry,love,spend, give...The result always is the same."                   
[/quote]

Wow rich ! this is so close to home !happens every 2 weeks for me - rage followed by love - i am banished and sent marching then requested to return as my s/o never wants to feel alone again like that an missed me !
2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
Alex86
antifragile
Aurora7
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bobbyvp
Bookworm77
bpdfamfan
captain4464
catclaw
caughtnreleased
chooselove
chump
claudiaduffy
Cmjo
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
Dire Wolf
doubleAries
Dutched
Emelie Emelie
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
HappyChappy
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Hope26
imataloss
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
joolz29
jthorpejr
KarenDH
kc sunshine
kiddfei
kidsteele
Kwamina
KQuestionsItAll
landofoz
Leelou
Leelou
lever
Lmls
Loveofhislife
MammaMia
maxen
Memorial Donation
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
Pingo
Pou
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
qcarolr
qkslvrgirl
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Reforming
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
SCM
seahorse
Should I stay or...
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
Take2
Theo41
thereishope
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
twojaybirds
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
White_Lily
winston72
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
index.php?topic=136462.msg1331265#msg1331265