Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 19, 2014, 04:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: livednlearned, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: Aussie JJ, BacknthSaddle, caredverymuch, contradancer, formflier, free-n-clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, Love is Not Enough, maxen, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, ziggiddy, ziniztar
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing
Think About It... Whenever we refuse to take responsibility for ourselves, we are unconsciously choosing to react as victim. This inevitably creates feelings of anger, fear, guilt or inadequacy and leaves us feeling betrayed, or taken advantage of by others.~ Lynne Forrest
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a bad person  (Read 361 times)
Darwin2012

« on: February 22, 2012, 04:53:51 AM »

My partner and I were at home when she received a call from a mutual acquaintance, who during the call mentioned what a nice person they thought I was, just being polite I think.  Anyway, this started a "conversation" about how I am really not so nice, and that she is the only person who really knows how bad I am, everyone else just sees the "nice" side of me. This includes friends, work colleagues, family, and even my ex-wife. This is based on the fact that when we argue, and we have been arguing a lot, I say such mean things to her and how I don't treat her as she deserves to be treated.  She then said that she didn't like me and that I should sleep on the couch...I agreed. 

When we were preparing to go to bed, she asked why I looked so upset, seemed surprised that I was still going to sleep on the couch, and she had changed her mind and now wanted me to sleep with her.

I love her, but it's moments like these that I really question what kind of future we have if she actually believes this, and I really think she does. 
jessicapuppy

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:02 AM »

Hi there

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. 

I am just getting to grips with BPD, as the now recently made ex-partner of a man with BPD, NPD and Bipolar, but I believe that this is Projection.

http://www.BPDcentral.com/resources/basics/games.shtml

JP
x
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for analyzing and making the decision to either continue working on your relationship or to leave it. If you have already please advance to "L3 Leaving" or the "L4 Staying" board.
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
Clearmind
Emeritus

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

Darwin2012, criticism is not easy to comprehend. And you are not a bad person - its my understanding that you may be struggling to keep your head above the water line.

Understanding that many folks criticise and it’s usually never to do with the person being victimised. So this is not about you ~ it’s about her fears. Your fears may creep in too – do you believe or even partly believe what she is accusing you of?

When you argue, she sees you as the perpetrator to her intense self loathing. It is projection and it could also be partly feeling invalidated.

Arguing - don't engage

I can also suggest you have read up on fear, obligation and guilt. I found all these to be much of the reason why I reacted the way I did to my SO: Workshop - US: What it means to be in the “FOG”

and we have been arguing a lot

Arguing is invalidating for you both. To stop the bleeding and cycle of conflict – are you willing to try some new ideas?

I say such mean things to her and how I don't treat her as she deserves to be treated.  She then said that she didn't like me and that I should sleep on the couch...I agreed.  

Do you see how you response contributed to things going badly?

Can you share the scenario that lead to you being sent to the couch?

2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
Alex86
antifragile
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bobbyvp
bpdfamfan
captain4464
chooselove
chump
claudiaduffy
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
doubleAries
Emelie Emelie
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
imataloss
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
jthorpejr
KarenDH
kiddfei
kidsteele
Kwamina
Leelou
lever
Loveofhislife
MammaMia
maxen
Memorial Donation
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
qcarolr
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Reforming
Rifka
rj47
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
seahorse
Should I stay or should I....
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
Theo41
thereishope
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
winston72
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
Choosing a path