August 01, 2014, 09:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: an0ught, livednlearned, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: BacknthSaddle, corraline, cosmonaut, DreamFlyer99, formflier, free'n'clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, Love is Not Enough, maxen, maxsterling, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, woodsposse, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: University Survey: Your experiences as a support person  (Read 3708 times)
sandpiper

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »

Posters, and OTH, perhaps it would be a suitable alternative if we could start another thread discussing our responses to the survey?
OTH is right, the thread is entitled 'your experiences as a partner' and as such perhaps our contribution as adult children of the BPD isn't what the study is designed to examine.

Hermione

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »

Rachel, There were two questions about health (health and overall health).  Was one supposed to be a rating of our mental health?  I can pass a physical, but it takes me a week to recover from a family get-together.

My mom is like a box of chocolates.  I never know what I'm gonna get.
Rachel Bailey
Grad Student - Researcher

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »

Hi there,

I am appreciative of all your thoughtful feedback. As this is a developing area of research we are still learning ourselves about how to best capture the experiences of carers/support persons/relatives of a person with personality disorder in a survey format. I understand that some of the questions may not capture your unique experiences, however the use of empirically validated measures prevents me from altering most of the survey without risking the validity of the results.

I hope, however, that you are able to complete the survey as best you can, and that the open-ended questions at the end of the survey provide you with enough space to enlighten us about your opinions and experiences that weren't captured by the standard questions.

I thank you also for the feedback concerning the term "carer/support person". This survey is designed to capture the experiences of carers/support persons/relatives of a person with personality disorder who interact on a regular basis in a supportive relationship. I heard your feedback and have attempted to explain this in the survey as:
'Care/care giving' refers to regular interactions with the person involving tasks to promote the wellbeing and recovery of the relative. Therefore, this could include simply being in a general supportive relationship (rather than "caretaking" in the traditional, practical sense).

Therefore, for those persons who have a relative with a personality disorder who are no longer engaged in a supportive relationship may find some of the questions difficult to answer, yet are encouraged to respond as best they can. Similarly, those who are in a relationship with a high functioning person with personality disorder may not consider themselves "carers" in the traditional sense, yet are likely to be able to respond to the survey in considering the relationship and how it affects you. All opinions and views are valued and I hope that future research will be able to better capture your experiences!

All the best,

Rachel Bailey.

This website is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and their physician.

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

This board is intended for general questions about BPD and other personality disorders, trait definitions, and related therapies and diagnostics. Topics should be formatted as a question.

Please do not host topics related to the specific pwBPD in your life - those discussions should be hosted on an appropraite [L1] - [L4] board.

You will find indepth information provided by our senior members in our workshop board discussions (click here).

Carri1

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 10:23:27 AM »

It took me 2 seconds!  I was asked "do you have a relative with a personality disorder?"
Answered No.  Done!  He's a Significant Other!
Sheeesh
sandpiper

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »

I have come back to look at the responses here and I had trouble finding it, as this post seems to have jumped around a bit. Initially I found it at the message board for adult children, I think yesterday I saw it in 'articles' and today it's in Staying or Leaving.
Not sure what's going on there.
I think that this survey might get a better response over at the parenting board, as this is the demographic where you are most likely to find caregivers who are dealing with a diagnosed BPD.

Rachel Bailey

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 10:15:02 PM »

Hi there Carri1,

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at the survey.

There is a disclaimer at the start of the survey stating:

"PLEASE READ:
For the purpose of this survey, 'relative' refers to the person with personality disorder that may be a family member or significant other to whom you support.
'Care/care giving' refers to regular interactions with the person involving tasks to promote the wellbeing and recovery of the relative. Therefore, this could include simply being in a general supportive relationship (rather than "caretaking" in the traditional, practical sense)."

Therefore, you are welcome to complete the survey - as your significant other would be considered a "relative" for the purposes of the survey.

Kind regards,

Rachel Bailey.

This website is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and their physician.
Rachel Bailey

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »

Hi there SaNPDiper,

Thank you for your comment.

I believe that the thread has moved around due to some confusion regarding the target population of the survey. The survey is not intended for only partners or only parents of a person with personality disorder. Anyone who is in a supportive relationship with another person may consider themselves eligible to complete the survey. This includes parents, adult children, partners/spouses, siblings and significant others (including friends). Further the term "caregiver" is loosly applied in the survey as you need not be a caregiver in the traditional practical sense, rather provide supportive care within your relationship.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the confusion.

All the best,

Rachel Bailey.

Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family
What is BPD - Romantic