Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 12:20:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: As one who has read the book, how would you rate it?
Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques... - McKay M., Fanning P.  (Read 923 times)
BPDFamily
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 01, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »

Self-Esteem
Author: Matthew McKay PhD
Publisher: New Harbinger Publications; 4 edition (August 1, 2016)
Paperback: 376 pages
ISBN-10: 1626253935
ISBN-13: 978-1626253933

Book Description
"Self esteem is essential for psychological survival." With these words McKay starts laying out a simple and consistent framework. Working from the basics of understanding self esteem, linking it to self talk and explaining how the inner critic can be disarmed. Developing compassion for yourself and linking it to dealing with mistakes and criticism are next. Setting goals, planning to get there without defeating yourself and asking for what you want conclude the process. A chapter on core believes helps to develop an overall perspective.

The book balances cognitive behavioral background, realistic examples and even more important includes exercises leading step-by-step in the direction of (re-)building self esteem. In it's third edition where McKay was joined by Patrick Fanning as co-author this self help book is highly readable.

The Authors
Matthew McKay, PhD, is a professor at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. He has authored and coauthored numerous books, including The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook, Self-Esteem, Thoughts and Feelings, When Anger Hurts, and ACT on Life Not on Anger. His books combined have sold more than 2.5 million copies. McKay received his PhD in clinical psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology. In private practice, he specializes in the cognitive behavioral treatment of anxiety and depression.

Patrick Fanning is a professional writer in the mental health field and the founder of a men's support group in northern California. He has authored and coauthored eight self-help books, including Self-Esteem, Thoughts and Feelings, Couple Skills, and Mind and Emotions.

HappyNihilist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:21 PM »

I highly recommend this book to anyone -- even people who don't have low self-esteem can benefit from these techniques. I think it's an especially important read for people who struggle with depression and/or anxiety.

This is one of my personal "life-changing" books. I cried a ton while working through it, which in my world means it's doing its intended job.  The techniques and questions really helped me drill down into myself and identify the roots of my self-esteem issues - and helped me develop my own unique strategy for addressing them. Working through the book was long and draining, but also uplifting and enlightening.

I love the tone of the authors, as well. McKay and Fanning are completely non-judgmental, accepting, and down-to-earth. They also have a gift for expressing complex, difficult subjects in a clear, simple and elegant manner.
Maternus

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »

I bought it today (the German translation). At first glance it looks very promising, especially the chapter about the inner critic - my greatest enemy. Seems like it'll take some time to work through it, but it looks like a good roadmap for the journey I'm on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions