Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 21, 2014, 09:05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, LettingGo14, P.F.Change, Rapt Reader
Advisors: livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: Aussie JJ, BacknthSaddle, caredverymuch, contradancer, formflier, free-n-clear, HealingSpirit, Kwamina, lever, NorthernGirl, OutofEgypt, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Please Donate Login Register  
bing
Please Welcome Newbies to our Community
Every day we have new members joining and trying to find their way through an emotional fog. Just a single post on the days that you log in will make a huge difference in peoples lives. Look for the SO designation in your "unread posts since last visit" or go directly to the Newbie board.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex's birthday today - nine weeks nc that I dont want to break  (Read 506 times)
John70

« on: December 15, 2012, 03:31:27 AM »

I know it's a no-brainer, but I need to hear it - it's the ex's birthday today and we're nine weeks nc. I shouldn't text her to wish her a happy birthday should I? She broke nc on Thurs and I didn't respond. Help please guys, as I'm worried I'll wobble even though I know I have to stay strong and keep my boundary in order to heal and move on. Thanks, and sorry for needing a crutch today...
Surnia
Emeritus

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:42:17 AM »

Hi John

She broke nc on Thurs and I didn't respond.
No, it doesn't make sense to break this for her birthday. Stick with your boundaries.

You can send her a wish mentally when you feel like this and than continue with your daily life.

Surnia

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
John70

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:52:28 AM »

Thanks Surnia. I just need to think of her last two - for each one I hoped the next would see us in a better place. They didn't. Today is going to be a sad one for me but I must keep to my boundary to stay on my path. Contact will set me back, will weaken me, will start the dance again.
Fall Fund Drive
Hi guys. Thanks for all that you do everyday to help others and to make BPDFamily a healing place.
On behalf of all of those that will benefit in 2015, we thank everyone for doing their part and "paying it forward".
Newton

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:40:24 AM »

Knowing what you shouldn't do...and not actually doing it are two very different things... tongue

I appreciate the conflict you are feeling!... Man hug

If you find yourself pressing the buttons on your phone composing a txt to her ...stop...read back your words in this thread out loud (in private or people will think YOU are the crazy one  wink )

You know how things will play out if you txt her...so txting her is YOU hurting YOURSELF  shocked

ps/ no need to apologise for needing a crutch today...it's a triggering day for you...and the fact you posted here rather than txting her shows healing and progress!  Doing the right thing

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for members with failed or failing relationships that want to detach from their relationship and relationship wounds. If you are still analyzing the decision to stay, please post on Undecided: Staying or Leaving
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
John70

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »

Thank you Newton. I guess such days are triggering since they represent shattered dreams and hopes. I reread all of my threads last night as it happens. Keeping on the straight and narrow. Anyway, how I can I wish happy birthday to someone who is really only a fantasy? I'll give myself the present of peace of mind 
ConfusedMichael

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:04:01 AM »

For what it's worth John, I found that resisting the temptation to speak to my ex on her birthday was something of a turning point for me.  I broke off contact with her back in January to give myself space to process our breakup, and although I have tried to reconnect (maybe 4-5 times) since April I have still heard nothing from her since the start of the year.  The last time I sent her a message was the start of September, and when her birthday arrived in October it was a huge strain to force myself not to send another message to her.  After I got past that though I have found it easier.  Not to say that it isn't still hard at times, but it's not as bad as it was.

I hope if you can achieve this little victory for yourself you will find a bit of extra peace as well.

All the best,

Michael
myself

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »

I know I have to stay strong and keep my boundary in order to heal and move on.

I must keep to my boundary to stay on my path. Contact will set me back, will weaken me, will start the dance again.

I've been there, too. One year we'd been broken up, I wrote her on her birthday, no response. It hurt. Next year, we were broken up (she broke us up a lot around holidays and birthdays), I didn't contact her. It hurt. This time around, being NC, I will not contact her again, and it'll hurt some but not as much. The difference is I'm moving on, facing this is how it is, and staying NC. From the quotes above, sounds like you already know your answer. Sorry that it hurts, but for your own good, it's best this way.

redfeather

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »

Welcome!
Then Dont Break It!
 No Contact is for you and for you alone..It is a space we create alone and together with understanding people like you find here and perhaps a very good therapist who understands the machinations of BPD.
It is not punitive towards the expwBPD but a recognition of our coming to understand we must heal ourselves and jump off this  emotionally destructive rollercoaster ride.
At first that NC feels incredibly uncomfortable especially if we are invested in the role of rescuer/knight in shining armour/Glenda the Good Witch etc...
My advice would be fill your time with activities/friends/family whereby you can start to heal yourself and move on.
 Now lets address that moving on part..
It hurts very much especially in first 3-6 months to walk away from someone you have poured so much of your heart and soul into. But to remain No Contact again is not punitive but designed to heal you and me.
Which it did for me.
Once I realized what type of personality I was dealing with I knew what to do even though it hurt...I had to cut bait and run.
Her college graduation came and went and I silently wished her well..ditto her birthday this year also Christmas is coming up always one of my favorite holidays so the attendant memories from last year's spent with her are very strong.
I could make many excuses to contact her but what would be my true motivation? She cannot give me closure..she doesnt care she hurt me, she is not interested in me as a human as shown by her actions not her cheap words.
No Contact in the first 3-12 months is very important to you. It removes the emotion from the situation and you can see the person for who they are (which for the most part is whoever they are mirroring at that point in time)
So No Contact while painful at first lets us go from fairy tale back to real life.
  Empathy
vegasbaby

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

its tempting but so is junk food and we all know how bad that is for us smiley keep string. ul kick urself if u make the big gesture only to get a kick in the balls in return.
John70

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

Well guys, it's 8:40pm - had a good day putting up Christmas decorations and having lots of fun with my lovely little 6 year old daughter  cheesy Just put her to bed and I'm on the sofa feeling well... bloomin' proud of myself! I didn't contact her Doing the right thing Instead, I remembered all the birthdays (hers and mine) that went horribly wrong (mine in July saw me (and I mean literally) on my knees, crying, banging my head on her wall because she locked me in her flat when I said I was leaving because I couldn't take any more of it, any more of her).

A real, heartfelt thanks to everyone who shone a light and showed me the right way to go today - in fact, every day since the summer!

ul kick urself if u make the big gesture

I would have hated myself VB - I've did enough of that in the "relationship"!

It hurts very much especially in first 3-6 months to walk away from someone you have poured so much of your heart and soul into. But to remain No Contact again is not punitive but designed to heal

The odd thing RF is that by not contacting I started to feel punitive but then I focussed on why I was keeping NC. To move, to heal, to distance. For me, not her.

I could make many excuses to contact her but what would be my true motivation? She cannot give me closure..she doesnt care she hurt me, she is not interested in me as a human as shown by her actions not her cheap words.
No Contact in the first 3-12 months is very important to you. It removes the emotion from the situation and you can see the person for who they are (which for the most part is whoever they are mirroring at that point in time)
So No Contact while painful at first lets us go from fairy tale back to real life.
  Empathy

I think my motivation was because it felt a little like I was punishing her even though I know NC is for me. It's also hard letting go of that fairy tale you describe - but it's receding back along its yellow brick road and back to its Wizard behind the mirroring curtain. Sorry if that metaphor is a bit mixed  cheesy

Sorry that it hurts, but for your own good, it's best this way.

Thanks myself - I think I was scared that I'd crumble. Short-term hurt vs more of the agony of the last 2.5 years isn't too hard to work out. Well, rationally it isn't but it's about training my emotional mind to get it too.

For what it's worth John, I found that resisting the temptation to speak to my ex on her birthday was something of a turning point for me.

Michael - I feel that turning point too. I know I haven't finished with it all yet and much work remains to do on me but I'm really not trying to understand my ex any longer. I'm understanding me, or trying to.

I wonder (though not that much since I spent so much time wondering re her motivations) whether she broke 2 months of NC 2 days before her birthday to somehow encourage contact on her birthday. To see if I still felt for her, to see if I would validate her. Well, I'll never know. What's important is that I didn't break contact (have I said that already?  cheesy ) but rather thought about me and why I wanted to. I felt some residual FOG there guys - fearful I'd feel bad and that I'd hurt her, obliged because of the depth and sincerity of the feelings for her that I'd expressed and guilt that I didn't/couldn't stay the course as I promised, as I tried.

I feel relatively peaceful. Immeasurably so when compared to how I'd been feeling since the day we met...

Thanks to you all - you gave me the best   ever!
2015 Community Sponsors
Keeping BPDFamily on the air
We are all appreciative of the thoughtful men and women who provide the support, education, and brotherhood that keep BPDFamily on the air and make a difference in our lives. To all, thank you for this wonderful resource.

123Phoebe
Alex86
antifragile
Aussie JJ
Aussieman
beatup
BlackandBlue
blissful_camper
bobbyvp
bpdfamfan
captain4464
catclaw
chooselove
chump
claudiaduffy
ColdEthyl
Conundrum
corraline
coworkerfriend
Cumulus
dar
Dark star
doubleAries
Emelie Emelie
enlighten me
findingmyselfagain
forget-me-not
freedom33
FreeMeGal
fromheeltoheal
Gagrl
gettin-unstuck
goldylamont
HappyChappy
Harri
HealingSpirit
Heartandsole
heartandwhole
Hope26
imataloss
Inside
Intent_to_learn
jellibeans
joolz29
jthorpejr
KarenDH
kc sunshine
kiddfei
kidsteele
Kwamina
Leelou
lever
Lmls
Loveofhislife
MammaMia
maxen
Memorial Donation
Mike76
Mommy108
Mr Hollande
Narellan
NeedHelpPls
Nope
NorthernGirl
oblivian2013
P.F.Change
pallavirajsinghani
Panda39
patientandclear
Patty
preciousme
Progress Not Perfection
qcarolr
Rapt Reader
raytamtay3
Reforming
Rifka
rj47
rollercoaster24
Ross O
sanemom
schwing
seahorse
Should I stay or…
SistersKeeper
Skip
Soulslider
Surnia
swampped
sweetheart
Theo41
thereishope
TigerEye
ToLiveAgain
toomanytears
trappedinlove
Turkish
twojaybirds
Up In the Air
Vindi
vre
waverider
Whichwayisup
whirlpoollife
winston72
zenwexler
Pay it forward Here

If you made a donation and your name does not appear on this list here , please contact us so that we may confirm that the payment was properly credited to BPDFamily.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Top Spacer
index.php?topic=136462.msg1331265#msg1331265