Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPh gets upset if my kids bring up their dad in conversation  (Read 348 times)
sjm7411

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »

I have a question about whether this is normal guy behavior or more BPD stuff.  I am taking a leap and going with my BPh, my 2 kids (19 & 17 years old) and my father on a weekend trip to Gettysburg.  I can already tell he is getting anxious about it, and is starting to come up with scenarios in his head of things that will upset him, which always happens.  He said last night that he doesn't want my kids to "go down memory lane" about vacations that we took as a family in my first marriage. He said it's rude and inconsiderate for them to say "remember when we did such-and-such with Dad" in front of him, and thinks they do it on purpose to push his buttons.  I don't think they are trying to push his buttons at all - they just aren't thinking that it might upset him.  But he insists that I tell them to stop talking about their Dad in front of him and paints me black if I don't.  I asked one of my girlfriends about this and she couldn't believe it - said he shouldn't be bothered by it, is being insecure and paranoid and I should tell him to chill out.  Well, obviously I know telling him to chill out isn't validating so I won't do that - in the past I've told him he's overreacting and that hasn't gone over well.  It doesn't bother me at all when his daughter talks about her mother in front of me.  It's frustrating that he is so sensitive about these things, but I am wondering if it's just a guy thing and most guys wouldn't want to hear about their wife's past life while on vacation.  I don't want to blame everything on BPD and sometimes I just don't know what's normal and what's not.  
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

tuum est61

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 10 years. Now divorced

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »

... . is being insecure and paranoid and I should tell him to chill out.  Well, obviously I know telling him to chill out isn't validating so I won't do that - in the past I've told him he's overreacting and that hasn't gone over well.  

Hi sjm,

I don't know how common this is but it fits my situation to a "T"  My 3 daughters (21, 20, 15) nor I, can reference anything from their past with their mother without it causing major dysregulation in my uBPDw. They - and I - long ago stopped making any reference.  Any contact she hears that they have with with their mother also causes dysregulation - yet she will ask me frequently about what they are or arent doing with their mother.   I have absolutely no contact with my daughters mother, although I am accused of attending events with her and my girls - and also get accused of sleeping with her!

You know, notwithstanding you say it doesn't bother you for him to talk about his past, it probably does a bit.   Smiling (click to insert in post) The thing is, because you are emotionally well adjusted, you let that feeling go quickly.  There's a saying about us "all being a little bit BPD, but a person with BPD is much more so."  You say you don't want to blame this on BPD, but making an issue about this is a very BPD like thing.  

It is actually positive that your H can still go to do things with your family - it is such a struggle for my W that she simply won't visit my parents - although I still have hope that it can be turned around.  

Despite your gf's comments, your H's feelings about this are real - paranoid or not.  But you don't have to, and shouldn't tell your kids,  to stop talking about memory lane - although it would seem they might get that it would be better to hold back on it - since they see how it causes hm to feel.   We don't need to walk on eggshells around our pwBPD, but all of us us eventually learn that avoiding stomping on them is definitely recommended.

If he brings up his memory lane concerns again, I would try to use some SET.  

Support:  "I want you to have a good time on this trip. I am happy you are going."  

Empathy: "I know that when the kids bring up the past it bothers you.  

Truth:  They are likely will do so again in the future - and maybe on this trip.  You will have to decide whether you still want to go."  

And then be prepared to lather, rinse, repeat.  
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »

tuum est61 hit this one just right, but I've got one thing to add:

If your H is bothered by hearing your children mention their father, it isn't your job to stop them. It is his job to ask them not to mention it.

Training other people to walk on eggshells is worse than just doing it yourself!

But he insists that I tell them to stop talking about their Dad in front of him and paints me black if I don't.

You can't stop him from painting you black. All you can do is refuse to accept all the emotional garbage he tries to dump on you when he does. Yes it does suck.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest