Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
November 01, 2014, 05:16:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Moderators: DreamGirl, Rapt Reader
Advisors: formflier, Kwamina, LettingGo14, livednlearned, maxen, Mutt, pessim-optimist, P.F.Change, Turkish, Waverider
Ambassadors: Aveyron, Aussie JJ, caredverymuch, free-n-clear, lever, NorthernGirl, ziggiddy
  Directory Guidelines Glossary   Boards   Help Login Register  
bing
Highly Recommended Book ... One of the main ways we keep ourselves involved in addictive, negative and hurtful relationships is to pretend that this negative present moment isn’t happening. In this book, Margalis Fjelstad, PhD., shows that the only way out of an addictive relationship is to change how we function, what we are willing to put up with, and to develop the courage to make changes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do BPD think we will always go back to them?  (Read 1247 times)
Iamdizzy

« on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »

Do they think they can just come back whenever they want?

I read a post on here earlier that they send the "HI! How how are you" or something along those lines rather than apologizing. They send out a line to see if we are hooked... Rather than owning up to what they've done.

So... do they think they can just come back whenever? Do they think we could still be hooked if they so bless us by throwing us a hook? (Sarcastic tone)
Ironmanrises

Home Board: SO-Leaving

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »

Yes.
Especially...
If they returned before...
And were allowed reentry.

That is all they need to know.

Congratulations. You lost me.
hopealways

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

Yes they believe we are obsessed with them, that they can come back whenever, and we will take them back whenever.  Prove them wrong. 
hopealways

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »

By the way, all their exes before you have gone back to them, pined for them, so they think you will too.  Mine told me one of her exes slept on her doorstep so she would take her back, another stalked her and followed her to convince her to take him back. Another got engaged to another woman and STILL would email her love songs.  Not me.  I just moved on.
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Are you on the right board?
This board is for members with failed or failing relationships that want to detach from their relationship and relationship wounds. If you are still analyzing the decision to stay, please post on Undecided: Staying or Leaving
All members living with a pwBPD should learn to use the Stop the Bleeding tools - boundaries, timeouts and other basic tools - to better manage the day to day interactions with your partner. If you have questions on any of the tools, feel free to go over to Staying: Improving a Relationship with a Borderline Partner and ask for help. :-)
Iamdizzy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »

Mmmm interesting... We broke up numerous times throughout the relationship but after I had enough, I made damn sure to never contact me again, even our last encounter when I returned valuables to her, I said no more than 4 words. "Good luck in life" last thing I told her.

hit It hurts thinking about that... the way I felt. Anyway, I haven't heard anything from her, not a single peep in 5 and half months . Although she does have my family and friends on Facebook although she was never close to them whatsoever. I'm asking because the holidays are coming up and my birthday, I don't expect to hear anything from her but if I do... it's just for her own interest.
HarmKrakow

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:11:33 PM »

Do BPD think we will always go back to them?

No.

Do they think they can just come back whenever they want?

Yes.
Turkish
BOARD ADVISOR

Home Board: SO-Leaving

Dad to my Wolf Pack

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »

Yes they believe we are obsessed with them, that they can come back whenever, and we will take them back whenever.  Prove them wrong. 

I proved her wrong when she was still "deciding" to leave me (and the children, though of course I would fight for nothing less than 50/50... they may be the only thing that is keeping her on the planet right now, which sux for them, they will find out later). She admitted that I was trying 110%, but that she wasn't sure if she could get the love back. To me that meant "no." She threw out, "what if this happens again in 3 years?" To me that meant "yes." So I proceeded to check if she was lying to me, and she did, then lied to me about lying. I then told her that a relationship was two people, and that it wasn't just her choice if she stayed or left--- even though she has been putting on her friends and family that it was her that stayed so long trying to work it out (me: really? HOW?) for the kids.

So I said, "I think you need to leave. It's done." Things changed after that. She locked her phone, went back to checking her secret email account (a behavior she did before she met me with one of her ex's, she showed me and deleted it at the time to prove that she was over him). That was the boundary I drew. I will never, ever take her back, even though several people think she will want to at some point. Now I know what I am dealing with. She would have to get SERIOUS, specific help for me to even consider it. But no, probably not even then. Just my stupid 1% fantasy. The kids make it hard. If it weren't for them, I'd have already evicted her, or she would have most likely just left. I give a 25% chance of a suicide attempt at some point when her current/new guy leaves her, especially with her winter depression coming on. I need to get her away from me, but carefully and legally due to our children.

I think on some level she knows I will never take her back though. And that gives me some relief, perhaps.

Value yourself for who you are, and not for what you are to others.

myself

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »

Yes, because they have seen us when we're hooked. We have welcomed them back before, despite the pains they caused, the damage that was done. Knowing that we care for them, they play the role of we should be there for them. When we do, they take advantage of it and continue to come and go. Keeping us hooked if we let them.

No, because they also try to sabotage things so much there is no going back. Which is a self-fulfilling way to prove their abandonment fears are true. Even when we had no intention of leaving them until their actions caused us to get away to save ourselves.

Each time through the recycling process there is less and less left over to make something strong enough to be long lasting. Which is where our focus needs to be, building something permanent, beginning with our own health and sense of self.
patientandclear

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

BPD is a disorder driven by shame and fear of rejection.

pwBPD assuredly do NOT assume they can always come back.  That would require a sense of security, and if they had that feeling of security, their relationships wouldn't be characterized by the instability that we know so well.

The tentative nature of those overtures is an indication that they are not confident of being welcomed back.  It's a way to have deniability -- I was NOT trying to get back together! -- if the former partner proves unreceptive.
peas

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »

pwBPD assuredly do NOT assume they can always come back.  That would require a sense of security, and if they had that feeling of security, their relationships wouldn't be characterized by the instability that we know so well.

The tentative nature of those overtures is an indication that they are not confident of being welcomed back.  It's a way to have deniability -- I was NOT trying to get back together! -- if the former partner proves unreceptive.

Nailed it.
Links and Information
Tools
Validation
Ending Cycle of Conflict
Triggering and Wisemind
Values and Boundaries
Becoming more empathetic?
On-Line CBT Program
>> More Tools

Video
What is BPD - Family