COMPARISON: Aspergers/autism spectrum disorder vs BPD

<< < (13/13)

jdtm:
I do not think there is any relationship between personality disorders and autism spectrum disorders.  Our nephew was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was an adult; however, the symptoms were evident from day one.  As far as I know, there has been no research to genetically link the two disorders.  I do know that early intervention is critical for children on the autistic spectrum - unfortunately your cousin did not receive the benefit of this education (the the behaviour of his mother would not help him understand the world; only set his learning back).  Again, this is only my opinion ... .

Beach_Babe:
How comorbid are the two? Mine is diagnosed with both.

misty_red:
I am a female high functioning asperger and I know some behaviour might look like BPD. At least the outcome of it. Aspergers also have problems with object constancy for example, they also often withdraw but with other intentions. I also think I do have some traits of BPD but am very concious about it and don't act on them (I used to grow up in a very toxic NPD and BPD-family). So I think it's possible to "have" both, but don't think it's a comorbidity. Maybe think about it this way: aspergers also have a different perception and might experience some occurrences as more dangerously as non-aspergers do, because of that they might develop PTSD or some eanxiety and stuff and it might look like BPD.

But when both occurs, symptoms of aspergers and traits of BPD, I always know which is which - I don't confuse the one for the other. It feels completely different and that's the point.

Aspergers isn't something you develop. You are born with it. Parts of your brain are neurologically different. The part for executive functions for example. Executive functions have to do with impulse control, BPDs also have problems with impulse control. Maybe that's the reason it sometimes looks a bit like the same.

aubin:
One relationship between the two that hasn't yet been discussed on this thread is what happens when an AS child is being raised by BPD parent. I think many of my aspie traits triggered my uBPD mother when I was a child (and they still do) leading her to think I was being conniving or manipulative when often I was clueless about her feelings. I wasn't diagnosed as a child but instead was labeled 'shy,' 'reclusive,' etc. My aspie traits probably made my mother's BPD worse, which in turn led me to take on some of her BPD traits to compensate for my aloofness. So where comorbidity does exist, I wonder how often it arises because the person with AS doesn't receive the appropriate and needed support.

Not only are BPD and AS near opposites to me; the two are the worst possible combination -- a hypersensitive person who interprets every action against them versus the aloof person who cannot seem to interpret the social at all. Put them together and it's a recipe for constant misunderstanding at best, emotional abuse more likely. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page