Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Never forgiven  (Read 383 times)
lrojas1993

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Engaged, 2 Years

« on: February 17, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »

Everything is fine for maybe a day or two then he randomly just becomes infuriated with me for something I didn't/ did do in the past. He mostly gets livid because I lost my virginity and it wasn't with him but he lost his to me. When he gets in one of his moods he talks about my faults while getting more mad for about an hour and then he just won't communicate/ touch me in any way for probably the rest of the day. He is just so complicated and I never know when I'm going to say/ do something that will offend him and cause him to act as though he literally hates me.  
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

joshbjoshb

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:45:16 AM »

So why do you stay with him?

I am sorry to say but I am having a very hard time seeing people in your situation, very young who for some reason are ready to make a commitment to live with someone who will end up abusing them.

lrojas1993

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »

Because I know he's not like this. He was there for me when I was going through a hard time with my depression, and I'm going to be there for him as well. He's not always like this. My age has nothing to do with this discussion either. I'm not like other "young" people who just want something casual throughout my young adult life, that's just not how I am. He's my best friend and I'm not just saying that, we've been best friends before we even became an item. This is more than just trying to stick with it with some hopeful fling.
hergestridge

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »

Because I know he's not like this. He was there for me when I was going through a hard time with my depression, and I'm going to be there for him as well. He's not always like this. My age has nothing to do with this discussion either. I'm not like other "young" people who just want something casual throughout my young adult life, that's just not how I am. He's my best friend and I'm not just saying that, we've been best friends before we even became an item. This is more than just trying to stick with it with some hopeful fling.

So you think that he's a good guy at heart who just has dysregulative episodes from time to time? I lived under that illusion for so many years. My wife still rejects her BPD diagnosis and clings to her pet theory (bipolar type II). Why? Because it lets her be a good girl who does mean things when she's ill. But BPD people are not like that. It's part of who they are to have a go at you and take out all their frustration and disappointmenent at those they live with. It's in their personality. It's part of who they really are, and they have to un-learn that. Lots of work, it won't grow away.
joshbjoshb

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:41 AM »

It's wonderful that you want to repay the favor he did for you.

But, he must be willing to recognize that he has issues, and deal with them.

If not, it won't take long before you will stop to consider him your best friends. Best friends are nice to each other, not raging on each other.

KateCat

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »

I know he's not like this.

lrojas,

I am so grateful that this online community exists and that younger people like you have the opportunity to post and learn here. Because 40 years ago, when I thought, "I know he's not like this," I had no realistic way of learning that, yes, he was, at least in part, "like this." And would be so 40 years later.

You have the world at your fingers. You have this forum and all its members' stories to read and weigh. You have some real power.

My hope for you is that you keep an open mind; keep observing both him and yourself; and take your time very carefully as you come to know more.

And here is the big, "scoldy" line from an elder: don't have kids with him until you've read widely in the section of this website that offers a voice to the children of personality disordered parents. They too had no voice in the past. And they have a lot to say.

elemental
aka "zencat"

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »

Reasonably ( actually unreasonably)  he is disregulating over something that happened before you became involved with him on that level.

I am curious what his justification is in holding you over the fire for this. Did you have a past break up and found someone else for a while, or did he for some reason feel abandoned or is something happening currently that triggers this event of castigating you for not being a virgin with him?

He sounds like he believes he was entitled in some way to be with you first. Was there a reason he would have believed that or is he just randomly being upset about it?
lrojas1993

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »

I feel that I made some sort of discovery with my fiance that's seems crucial to the reason why he views about my virginity the way he does. A couple nights ago I felt I defused a bomb that would have been really bad. Throughout his childhood his mom and dad were in an abusive relationship that resulted his mom being strangled and himself also being strangled and whipped/ switched on the back by random items. His mom remarried with his current step dad who was mentally/ emotionally abusive to him along with his mom also abusing and started to reject him. When he moved in with me his mom and dad completely ostracized him and make it an issue if he wants to talk because he's lonely. He was also bullied throughout elementary and sexually assaulted. He feels that he is a failure, dumb, ugly and empty. He feels that he has no purpose in life and that when he was a teenager his virginity was extremely important to him because it was his  that no one else can take away from him. My theory was since I took his virginity from him he no longer had anything special for himself since his life was pretty much ripped away by his parents and bullies, and now he feels he has nothing and is nothing and no longer has a purpose to live because he nothing else to give. That's just what I think might be the root.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:12 AM »

lrojas1993,

welcome to the staying board! Dealing with a pwBPD can be sometimes exhausting, infuriating but also rewarding. We respect life choices people are making.

I feel that I made some sort of discovery with my fiance that's seems crucial to the reason why he views about my virginity the way he does.

Excerpt
My theory was since I took his virginity from him he no longer had anything special for himself since his life was pretty much ripped away by his parents and bullies, and now he feels he has nothing and is nothing and no longer has a purpose to live because he nothing else to give. That's just what I think might be the root.

It is tempting and logical to search for complicated explanations - stop please. That sort of reasoning - looking for deep problems - may sometimes yield insights but mostly leads us to deeper into confusion. Reasons have seldom something to do with a specific symptom - it is mainly emotions whether he is aware of it or not. Now behind the emotions may well be reasons in the past but it is best for us to focus first on the near term and getting the emotions back in check.

You are his first sexual partner and he is insecure. There is also a cultural bias to cherish virginity and that is highly appealing to someone prone to black and white thinking. In addition there may be sex related confused emotions and insecurities stemming from childhood abuse - going deep down there may be risky - for the time being let's stick to confused and insecure with respect to sex.

Taking a step back - that is all perfectly normal. What is not normal is that he is not able to get a grip on it. Which is typical BPD - unable to regulate his emotions.

What can you do? Not much except for validating him which may allow him to get a perspective over time.

"Yeah, Loosing virginity can be a big deal. A lot of people think it is pretty important. It certainly is special. And then thinking back, don't think it changed me much. It is confusing."

"It can be an odd feeling to think there was another one before you.<long pause, don't fill>"

"When I was in your position (only if you were) I was also wondering that. Now looking back don't think it mattered but I get that it bothers you."

"Why do men always feel so insecure."

Some part of his emotional problems may well be caused by his past abuse. There are two basic ways dealing with it - dealing with the abuse memories - dealing with the emotional problems from the abuse. The former may or may not be too painful to do at the moment. The latter would be going into the direction of cognitive therapy, quite possibly DBT which is more skill learning based. If he is sharing his abuse story he may be approachable to seek out some guidance on how to overcome it from a professional.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest