Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 11:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does documenting help?  (Read 357 times)
Stuffie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Healthy, new relationship

« on: February 19, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »

I'm wondering if documenting has ever really helped anyone in court. dBPDex is always late for either pick up/drop off, disregards our parenting plan completely and will always demand out of nowhere that I leave work to pick up our child otherwise he will threaten to not return him for days. I'm engaged and have completely moved on with my life. My ex will normally go weeks without seeing our child then out of nowhere he will say that I'm not coparenting and I'm keeping our boy away from him. I really want to go back to court and just abolish the entire plan and get his rights taken away. He has a severe history with drug abuse, he's clean now but who knows how long that will last, his ex wife had a restraining order against him for abuse and battery and he has moved 5 times in the last year.

I've documented EVERYTHING and filed police reports for everything that I can so that there is real documentation for his actions. The officer that completed the most recent report said he thought I had a good shot at getting full custody of my 18 month old son. Thoughts on this? I always assumed it would be very difficult to remove my ex from the picture.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »

I'm wondering if documenting has ever really helped anyone in court. dBPDex is always late for either pick up/drop off, disregards our parenting plan completely and will always demand out of nowhere that I leave work to pick up our child otherwise he will threaten to not return him for days. I'm engaged and have completely moved on with my life. My ex will normally go weeks without seeing our child then out of nowhere he will say that I'm not coparenting and I'm keeping our boy away from him. I really want to go back to court and just abolish the entire plan and get his rights taken away. He has a severe history with drug abuse, he's clean now but who knows how long that will last, his ex wife had a restraining order against him for abuse and battery and he has moved 5 times in the last year.

I've documented EVERYTHING and filed police reports for everything that I can so that there is real documentation for his actions. The officer that completed the most recent report said he thought I had a good shot at getting full custody of my 18 month old son. Thoughts on this? I always assumed it would be very difficult to remove my ex from the picture.

Hello ahobson, your desire seems clear... . is this last point what is holding you back from taking the next steps?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Stuffie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »

Hello ahobson, your desire seems clear... . is this last point what is holding you back from taking the next steps?

Basically, yes. I don't want to put forth thousands of dollars AGAIN for nothing. My ex is definitely not going to be doing any good in our son's life.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »

Basically, yes. I don't want to put forth thousands of dollars AGAIN for nothing. My ex is definitely not going to be doing any good in our son's life.

The drug use is certainly the hardest unknown to deal with... . so best case, you are thinking full custody with supervised visitations? It's frustrating to have him control you like that, demanding that you leave to pick up you son. If you don't see any ill behaviors or mood changes in your son with this "arrangement" can you live with it for now?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Stuffie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »

The drug use is certainly the hardest unknown to deal with... . so best case, you are thinking full custody with supervised visitations? It's frustrating to have him control you like that, demanding that you leave to pick up you son. If you don't see any ill behaviors or mood changes in your son with this "arrangement" can you live with it for now?

I'd be perfectly okay with supervised visitation. It really scares me that my son could be witnessing some disturbing things with his father. The supervision would give me a lot of peace of mind.
marbleloser

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »

Yes,documenting helps.

"My ex will normally go weeks without seeing our child then out of nowhere he will say that I'm not coparenting and I'm keeping our boy away from him."

This is where documentation would come in handy.If you can prove that he is going weeks without seeing the child,you'll have grounds to modify custody and visitation.

You'll need a calendar,and keep a count of when you have the kid,and when he does. Be honest.

Do things on days he's "supposed" to have the kid,like go to a movie.Keep the receipt,document it on your calendar,and take a photo of you and the child at the movie theater(or anywhere else you want to go)

It takes about 6 months of documenting this type of behavior to seek a modification,so be prepared to document for this length of time,at the least.

Honestly,it's best to always document,even after divorce.You never know what kind of accusations might creep up or when you'll need it.

Documentation beats "he said/she said".
david

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »

I found that documenting does help. I also learned that judges do not want to look at hundreds of papers.

What has worked for me is I make a cover sheet that puts all the important information on it. Underneath that is the pages and pages of documents supporting my cover sheet. Typically the judge gives it to ex. She looks at the cover sheet and doesn't want to look at the pages underneath either. She agrees with the cover sheet and it becomes evidence. The rest comes back to me. Since I am telling the truth and ex knows it she doesn't object nor does her atty, since we would then have to look at everything, and that would tick the judge off.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest