Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:23:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do they do this?  (Read 347 times)
Stuffie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Healthy, new relationship

« on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »

My dBPDex drives me nuts. We communicate SOLELY via email. Unfortunately our court order is so vague that it allows him to basically pick one day during the week where he gets our son from 10-2. I work a normal 8-5 M-F job. He works varying days, 24 hour shifts at a time. He demands that I send him which dates will work for me and when I do, he declines half of them because of "work conflicts." Then if I ask him when he is available he tells me that his schedule is none of my business and if I'm unwilling to give him dates to take his son then I'm in contempt of court.   If I tell him that he has to pick our child up from daycare to complete his 10-2 or he can pick him up in the morning before I go to work and just keep him until after I get off, he refuses and states that I'm in contempt because he wants ME to meet him somewhere (not on the court order) even though it conflicts with my work schedule.

He also goes in circles in emails. He will ask for a specific date and if we have ANYTHING planned that day that I don't want my son to miss, I will tell him to choose another date for his visit. I give him dates that my son is available. Since he tends to keep our son longer than the court order states without permission then I definitley don't want my boy going with him on days we have things to do because it's very likely I won't get him back for several days. (I've addressed this with an attorney and we're going back to court in 6 months).

So I have a 15 page email about his pick ups for the month of March and it goes in circles constantly. I suggest a date, he declines, I ask when he's available, he refuses to tell me, I tell him that if he doesn't tell me then I can't just pick dates at random, he says I'm in contempt, he then demands a day that he knows we have plans (like my daughter's bday), then throws a fit that I won't work with him.

UGH. Will it EVER end?
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »

My dBPDex drives me nuts. We communicate SOLELY via email. Unfortunately our court order is so vague that it allows him to basically pick one day during the week where he gets our son from 10-2. I work a normal 8-5 M-F job. He works varying days, 24 hour shifts at a time. He demands that I send him which dates will work for me and when I do, he declines half of them because of "work conflicts." Then if I ask him when he is available he tells me that his schedule is none of my business and if I'm unwilling to give him dates to take his son then I'm in contempt of court.   If I tell him that he has to pick our child up from daycare to complete his 10-2 or he can pick him up in the morning before I go to work and just keep him until after I get off, he refuses and states that I'm in contempt because he wants ME to meet him somewhere (not on the court order) even though it conflicts with my work schedule.

He also goes in circles in emails. He will ask for a specific date and if we have ANYTHING planned that day that I don't want my son to miss, I will tell him to choose another date for his visit. I give him dates that my son is available. Since he tends to keep our son longer than the court order states without permission then I definitley don't want my boy going with him on days we have things to do because it's very likely I won't get him back for several days. (I've addressed this with an attorney and we're going back to court in 6 months).

So I have a 15 page email about his pick ups for the month of March and it goes in circles constantly. I suggest a date, he declines, I ask when he's available, he refuses to tell me, I tell him that if he doesn't tell me then I can't just pick dates at random, he says I'm in contempt, he then demands a day that he knows we have plans (like my daughter's bday), then throws a fit that I won't work with him.

UGH. Will it EVER end?

It's probably best to have the attorney address this in court. My first reaction would be to tell him "I've already documented the times you've kept our son past the allotted time, which means it is actually YOU who is in contempt of the order."

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »

It's good that you are going back to court. I assume this is for a contempt filing?

I think a modification of the order is going to be necessary for you to get any peace. The problem with vague parenting orders is that BPDs tend to change their belief about what the order says as it suits them.

The first thing I would do is find out from your lawyer if there is a meditation program through the court. In the state I am dealing with meditation is actually a free service. The point is to get him to sit down and iron out a parenting plan that actually works for both of you and has no loop holes for him to exploit (though don't tell him that).

If you are going to bring a court action for modification it is always best to walk in saying that you tried the easy way first and that didn't work.

The best part about email only communication is that when you get to court it's very easy to show who is and who is not the reasonable party.

Unfortunately, court is likely the only way things will change.
bravhart1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

We had the same situation with husband's ex.

Trying to go to see co-parent counselor goes like this:

counselor "when can you come in?"

BPD "when can you come in DH?"

DH "any day but Wednesday"

BPD "Oh, Wednesday was the only day I could do it."

DH "ok well, guess it's got to be Wednesday then. What time are you available, morning or afternoon?"

BPD "None of your business what my schedule is!"

DH "ok, how about morning?"

BPD "no not in the morning."

DH "ok, then afternoon"

BPD "no not the afternoon"

DH "well then when are you available?"

BPD "stop bullying me into telling you my schedule! I will not tolerate this abuse. You are all against me!"

therapist "well what should we do to schedule the appt.?"

BPD "Well if DH wasn't so difficult! He's the one who ruled out Wednesdays! You are all against me!"

It would be funny of it wasn't so sad.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest