Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:50:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tell providers without appearing to be biasing them?  (Read 410 times)
momtara

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 11, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »

How do I let my kids' doctors know that my exH is mentally ill, without being seen some day (in the case of a custody evaluation) as biasing the professionals or trying to make him look bad?  He is coming to an appointment next week for our daughter, and I want our doc to know where he is coming from.  But I don't want her to think I'm an exwife out for revenge.

Waddams

Relationship status: Living single, dating wonderful woman now

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

If there's documentation of a formal diagnosis, then just provide the documentation. 

Otherwise, stay quiet and let your exH demonstrate his issues.  The doc will figure it out.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »

How do you think your H's disorder will present itself to the doctor?

I would focus on the behavior, avoid labeling if you feel the need to say anything.

"The children's father feels very different about medicating the kids than I do. We share legal custody. My feeling is that it is better to not medicate the kids unless xyz. For example, when they clear their throats, he will give them this and that. It's important to me that the kids do not take medications unless it is your professional opinion that they need medication. Can someone from your office please call me to let me know what, if any, medications have been prescribed?"

Something like that? Because you can't tell the doc what to do, you can't deny all medications, and you can't micro-manage your ex-husband through a professional. Better to express your views, explain his behavior, and tip them off that he has a tendency to behave a certain way when it comes to the kids' health.

Just know that they will document the conversation. Avoid labeling him, or disparaging him in any way, or issuing any directives.

Breathe.
momtara

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »

Thanks.  Good advice.
ennie

Relationship status: Married (together 6 years)

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »

I agree.  Focus on how his behavior impacts your child's medical or psychological issues, including how this might impact your relationship with the doctor.  And try not to judge your ex for these things, and the doctor will probably understand.  If communication with the doctor in the presence of your BPD ex is an issue (this was for my DH and his ex), then explain that using terms that do not point the finger: "We have a history of high conflict in our marriage, and this makes communication about our child difficult.  I would prefer being able to communicate with you directly without my ex present if that would work for you." 

If you have psychological concerns, I think it is fine to specify what they are, too.  Particularly if your child has been subjected to physical abuse or witnessed abuse.  These are important things for a doctor to know. 

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »

I agree.  Focus on how his behavior impacts your child's medical or psychological issues, including how this might impact your relationship with the doctor.  And try not to judge your ex for these things, and the doctor will probably understand.  If communication with the doctor in the presence of your BPD ex is an issue (this was for my DH and his ex), then explain that using terms that do not point the finger: "We have a history of high conflict in our marriage, and this makes communication about our child difficult.  I would prefer being able to communicate with you directly without my ex present if that would work for you." 

If you have psychological concerns, I think it is fine to specify what they are, too.  Particularly if your child has been subjected to physical abuse or witnessed abuse.  These are important things for a doctor to know. 

Whatever you say, make sure you are prepared to have it read out loud in court.

And strategize. Maybe you look at this as a year long thing. The first time you mention it to the doctor, say that you and your ex have very different ideas about when to medicate the kids. Second time, add more info. Third time, point to your experiences, documented.

Make the doctor a sympathetic partner in your concerns, which is to do what's best for the kids.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest