Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 12:36:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling down and shouldn't be  (Read 346 times)
foggydew

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend
Relationship status: widowed/7 years

« on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »

Charlie has got a new job, has been on a high for the last 2 weeks and is doing really well. I have been able to talk to him about all kinds of issues that he has, and how they affect me and others. It's really good to see him blossoming and hopeful.

Bought him a little gift to celebrate his first day at work... he came to see me, beaming, and told me how great it was to feel needed and wanted and useful.  I smiled and said, more or less, 'told you so'. His answer was that my opinion doesn't count, I just praise him for everything.

I don't. I put up with all his carping, put downs, criticism, controlling behaviour, etc, wait until the time is right and he can accept it, then tell him about the results his behaviour has. His answer is that we are very close, so he can allow himself this behaviour with me.

I don't want or expect thanks, but it would be nice to feel a bit appreciated. In a couple of weeks he'll be going away to work, and I'll miss him a lot, having put so much energy into dealing with him during his last 6 months of unemployment. So, again, glad he's doing better, and I can see it, but... .

Guess I'm just feeling a bit useless.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »

Hi foggydew,

you are not useless, just not in the center of his attention. And that center is tiny - he has a bit a narrow viewing angle, that is just him. Has nothing to do with you  

Excerpt
Bought him a little gift to celebrate his first day at work... he came to see me, beaming, and told me how great it was to feel needed and wanted and useful.  I smiled and said, more or less, 'told you so'. His answer was that my opinion doesn't count, I just praise him for everything.

This is a bit speculation but what I can see before my eyes is you first invalidating him. He comes along and is drunken with success. Then you are calm and are not matching his excitement. He feels invalidated (you are not getting him) and lashes out at you. Which is totally unfair as you have worked so long and hard for this  . Does not mean he does not know this but momentary feelings overwhelm him often.

We usually talk about validating negative emotions and people on the board struggle expressing sufficiently negative emotions to match the pwBPD's negativity. When suddenly presented with unregulated positive emotions that can be quite confusing. Same rules apply - try to match their level somewhat and glide down towards a more balanced stance over time.

Excerpt
Charlie has got a new job, has been on a high for the last 2 weeks and is doing really well. I have been able to talk to him about all kinds of issues that he has, and how they affect me and others. It's really good to see him blossoming and hopeful.

This is really great news  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post). More interactions can help balancing emotions a bit and you have to carry less.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
foggydew

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend
Relationship status: widowed/7 years

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »

Thanks a lot for your analysis. It actually helped a lot this evening, when I had a similar situation... him leaving, saying he couldn't talk to me. I read what you wrote, then went to see him, said I was sorry I hadn't managed to understand what he wanted to say. From being dismissive he became all smiles, thanked me for coming and was pleasant for the rest of the evening.

It's nice to feel understood... . you showed you understood me, took time for me, and I was able to pass it on. Thanks.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest