Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 12:34:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guidelines and limits  (Read 371 times)
misneach

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Married (7 months), Together (1 year)

« on: March 19, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »

I need help with an issue I am having. I need to know what others have done in this situation for balance. I am married to an uBPDh and have 3 children from my previous marriage. Most days my h is very good with my girls... . except the oldest but she's bipolar 2 so they just clash horribly.

My issue is how do I find balance between protection and respect? Here is what happened.

My h and I ran to the store leaving my oldest in charge of the younger two. We gave them a list of chores to be done while we were gone and asked them to bring in the dogs. When we got home the chores were done but the dogs were still outside. It wasn't a horribly cold day and they were in our fenced in yard but the point was they didn't do it. He of course went postal. It was completely lost on him that for once my oldest was being nice and playing with her sisters and that the other chores we gave them were done to perfection which never happens.

He grounded them for a month... . from everything. Small background story on Z, my oldest. She is bipolar 2 and the last few years my honor student has went from straight A's to almost straight F's. She has daddy issues... . big ones. She hates my h. Blames him for every mistake her father ever made which is enough to fill the grand canyon a million times over. It's not unusual I know and we handle it. However, after threats of suicide, a run away adventure, failing grades, physical and emotional violence with her sisters, and some cutting behavior... . she is finally on an up swing. Our days aren't perfect but they are better. She smiles, she laughs, and biggest of all she hugs again and says I love you. Big change.

For 12 years I have battled this child. For 12 years I have raised all 3 virtually on my own. I am far from a perfect parent but I am a darn good one. Constantly he tells me I'm a bad parent. Constantly he screams how I let Z walk all over me. Constantly he tells me how to do it right. Ummm... you have an 18 year old daughter you barely ever saw and she refuses to talk to you. Yes, please tell me again how to be a parent? I try to take this in stride but people... . it takes a lot to keep my mouth shut.

Back to the question. I want my girls to understand that respect isn't about the other person; it's about their character. We show respect to people because we are respectful not because they deserve it. My children need to show my h proper respect and learn to abide his authority but where do I draw this line? For not bringing the dogs in he grounded them all for a month. No tv, no electronics , no friends. They are 12, 9, and 8. This is hardly reasonable. A week at most seems like more than enough and too much in my opinion. I want them to respect him but I also think he is completely unreasonable and in the end what they get is completely up to me and I feel this way because of his disorder.

Please someone tell me how to navigate this very tricky area. It is their spring break and I refuse to make them sit in the house doing nothing all vacation. We have plans and it isn't like they tried to blow up the house or hold up a bank. How do I get him to see that Z doesn't walk all over me, I have just learned how best to handle her and direct confrontation isn't it? How do I get him to respect me as a parent? Just because I don't do it his way which is usually illogical doesn't mean it isn't done right. How do I balance respect and reality without damaging his ego and his authority with my children. Let's face it... . those with BPDso are nothing short of magicians... tell me the trick for this one so all involved feel respected.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

HopefulDad

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »

I think this is one of those cases you have to take a hard stance on how your husband interacts with your girls.  Tell him (privately) you have the final say in their punishments.  Tell him you are undoing the 1 month grounding (or have him tell them in order for him to save face).  You can use all the SET in the world to make these points and set the boundaries, but you have to do it for the sake of your girls.  I think you'll have to give up on any hope that he'll understand your point of view no matter how (and how often) you try to explain it.

You have to protect your daughters.  Unfortunately there's no win-win situation here.
misneach

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »

HD ~ I did a lot of thinking on what you said. I believe you are right about most of it but wrong about the win-win situation. I agree I had false hopes and I most certainly came at this the wrong way. I failed to take my children's point of view into account. So here is what I think my solution should be. I welcome all opinions before I implement this into my family this weekend.

First of all I can see how my children would resent having to suddenly subject themselves to someone they barely knew. Their father abandoned them so why listen to another "father" or trust them? He says he'll never leave but then so did their dad. I should have came at that a different way. So here is what I am going to do.

I made a list of all the major behavioral issues that my children have and set guidelines for discipline when those behaviors are exhibited. This weekend (after talking to my husband privately first) I am going to give these guidelines to my kids verbally and then post them on our fridge. The rules and consequences are there in black and white. Also, I am going to inform them that my h has full rights to enforce these rules that I set as their parent. This still gives my h room to be the authority figure within guidelines that I myself have set. It also tells my children whining to mom will do no good as the punishments were decided by me to begin with. Creating solidarity in the parenting plan that is terribly lacking now since we always disagree about punishment although never in front of the children. That seems win-win to me. Granted he won't like it but it's better than totally losing face and authority. Gives opportunity instead of restriction.

It won't stop his unrealistic behavior at the time of his blow up but it will give him a structured opportunity to renegotiate and take the instability out of it for my kids. They will simply have to "wait" for their real punishment to be given when he cools down. Might also take some of the pressure off him?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
HopefulDad

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »

HD ~ I did a lot of thinking on what you said. I believe you are right about most of it but wrong about the win-win situation. I agree I had false hopes and I most certainly came at this the wrong way. I failed to take my children's point of view into account. So here is what I think my solution should be. I welcome all opinions before I implement this into my family this weekend.

First of all I can see how my children would resent having to suddenly subject themselves to someone they barely knew. Their father abandoned them so why listen to another "father" or trust them? He says he'll never leave but then so did their dad. I should have came at that a different way. So here is what I am going to do.

I made a list of all the major behavioral issues that my children have and set guidelines for discipline when those behaviors are exhibited. This weekend (after talking to my husband privately first) I am going to give these guidelines to my kids verbally and then post them on our fridge. The rules and consequences are there in black and white. Also, I am going to inform them that my h has full rights to enforce these rules that I set as their parent. This still gives my h room to be the authority figure within guidelines that I myself have set. It also tells my children whining to mom will do no good as the punishments were decided by me to begin with. Creating solidarity in the parenting plan that is terribly lacking now since we always disagree about punishment although never in front of the children. That seems win-win to me. Granted he won't like it but it's better than totally losing face and authority. Gives opportunity instead of restriction.

It won't stop his unrealistic behavior at the time of his blow up but it will give him a structured opportunity to renegotiate and take the instability out of it for my kids. They will simply have to "wait" for their real punishment to be given when he cools down. Might also take some of the pressure off him?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

I think your plan is good, but I also think you have to accept a significant possibility that your husband may not go along with it (or any other plan you devise) long term.  If this is this is the case (what I meant by "no win-win situation", you are going to have to choose:

1. Empower your husband's BPD-induced punishments at the expense of your daughters' mental well being, or

2. Anger your husband by making yourself the final authority on discipline, but protect your daughters from his wrath

To me the decision is easy because in both cases, the pwBPD is dysregulated which is par for the course while the daughters clearly benefit from the 2nd choice.

I hope you do find a win-win situation.  I also hope you make an "if all else fails" choice that benefits your entire family best.

BTW, I've made this choice already in preparation of my BPDw ever reaching the stage your husband has towards our own 3 young daughters.  It's a bit more difficult as she's their biological mother, but I'm not going to let her screw up their heads (like her parents did hers which I think is a big reason she has BPD).
misneach

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »

I agree there is a very real possibility that he will not go along with it right now. He will absolutely see it as an affront to his authority but in the end I will prevail. Right now I stand between him and my kids. Not really a part of any team. They don't listen because they know that mom will "over ride" what h says. But now it is done mostly behind his back creating a horribly incorrect view of him and me and our marriage for my girls.

To be blunt I don't care what he thinks about it. They are my children and if he doesn't like my decisions for them then we were just fine before him and will be right as rain after him. I am doing my absolute best to keep my mentality up that although I would be heart broken if he left and I would miss him horribly, I don't need him and neither do they. I have to come to grips that he won't ever be able (without the help he is unwilling to seek right now) to be the head of our home and it is up to me to stabilize us.

He is my h and they are my children. No one in our home is expendable but that doesn't mean if he can't handle being regulated because of his issues then it's best for us all that he leaves anyway. Ultimately it's his choice even though he won't see it that way.
HopefulDad

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

I agree there is a very real possibility that he will not go along with it right now. He will absolutely see it as an affront to his authority but in the end I will prevail. Right now I stand between him and my kids. Not really a part of any team. They don't listen because they know that mom will "over ride" what h says. But now it is done mostly behind his back creating a horribly incorrect view of him and me and our marriage for my girls.

To be blunt I don't care what he thinks about it. They are my children and if he doesn't like my decisions for them then we were just fine before him and will be right as rain after him. I am doing my absolute best to keep my mentality up that although I would be heart broken if he left and I would miss him horribly, I don't need him and neither do they. I have to come to grips that he won't ever be able (without the help he is unwilling to seek right now) to be the head of our home and it is up to me to stabilize us.

He is my h and they are my children. No one in our home is expendable but that doesn't mean if he can't handle being regulated because of his issues then it's best for us all that he leaves anyway. Ultimately it's his choice even though he won't see it that way.

Sounds like you made that bottom line choice.  Personally, I think it's the right one.  I also hope that things don't come to that.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest