Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:57:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to handle money when SO won't make decisions and claims conspiracy  (Read 359 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:02 AM »

Quick version of my story

We have several properties (rentals and investments) and before I realized what BPD was my wife started claiming that I was sleeping with the tenants and inferring that the purpose of having these was for me to have a relationship playground.

Even claimed I had secret properties... ones she didn't know about.

So... I turned over management to her.  She has apparently done a fair job... . and it did stop those accusations. 

Now she claims I turned them over to her because i was tired of doing it. 

Practically speaking... . I rarely read the mail and occasionally field questions from her on what to do about this house or that place.

Now that I think I know what I'm facing... . I think I made a mistake... . and I know this is costing us money.  However... not sure how to try to take back the reins without getting all that drama back.

I suppose the truth is... the drama stayed... . but the accusations just changed flavors.  So instead of accusing me of doing things with tenants... . now it is friends and neighbors.

Bottom line... . this BPD thing is also ruining the financial/business side of the marriage that we built together.  Looking for advice on how to protect that... .

Probably not reasonable to build it back or expand it... . but hoping to not let it all melt away.

Thoughts?

Wrongturn1

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

FF: As long as you are married to someone with BPD, there will be large amounts of drama and probably accusations you will deal with (actually, even if you were to get divorced, these things would still not go away since she would still probably be part of your life in some form).

So be smart, and take charge of your business matters with the properties.  There may be drama surrounding that, but there will always be drama about something.  And now that the property business is less mysterious to your wife, she might create less drama an accusations about your dealings with those things.

Caveat: of course, if your wife were to commit herself to wellness and seek treatment for the BPD, there is a decent chance she might recover and that you might not have to deal with drama and accusations.  That apparently does happen in some cases.  I'm not holding my breath that my uBPDw will do this however.
Love Is Not Enough

Relationship status: Engaged and living together

Confidence is the gateway to hope

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

So be smart, and take charge of your business matters with the properties. 

+100

Excerpt
Caveat: of course, if your wife were to commit herself to wellness and seek treatment for the BPD, there is a decent chance she might recover and that you might not have to deal with drama and accusations.  That apparently does happen in some cases.  I'm not holding my breath that my uBPDw will do this however.

Me either. My partner has improved dramatically except in this one area. I do not have much hope that it will anytime soon. I see other people on here who have been in relationships for 30+ years and still deal with it! Don't you just give up and get over it at some point? 

Never to suffer would never to have been blessed ~ Edgar Allan Poe
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

Even claimed I had secret properties... ones she didn't know about.

... .

Now she claims I turned them over to her because i was tired of doing it. 

... .

Thoughts?

She will say whatever she can get away with to express herself. So either you have a boundary and not discuss nonsensical claims or you need to validate. The first one is tempting to handle with sarcasm (may or may not backfire depending on her mood and sense of humor). So in increasing riskiness:

You are quite suspicious.

You are crediting me with more sneakiness that I deserve.

Tell me where it is so I can sell it.

Yeah, I'm a secret billionaire.

"Indeed, I'm making loads of money with my secret mind on the dark side of the moon. Have you seen the last account statement?" <duck and hide>

The second is easier to validate:

You are working hard.

You are wondering whether you have to run it forever.

PwBPD are not really good in saying the right thing and it takes sometimes guessing. The problem is what comes out is often invalidating. Not taking the bait is is a key challenge we face. If we would follow the advertised path the relationship would go downhill fast.

The trick is for us is to STOP and think before reacting.

Me either. My partner has improved dramatically except in this one area. I do not have much hope that it will anytime soon. I see other people on here who have been in relationships for 30+ years and still deal with it! Don't you just give up and get over it at some point? 

Drama has it's place but not in my backyard  Smiling (click to insert in post). Drama she creates elsewhere is her problem and her problem alone - no bail out.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

"She will say whatever she can get away with to express herself. So either you have a boundary and not discuss nonsensical claims or you need to validate. "

I really need to get better at validating.  I have become pretty good at ignoring or talking without saying anything.

that's your opinion

sorry you feel that way

etc etc

By nature... I'm a pretty sarcastic guy... . so I try to stay away from that.  Maybe another way of saying it that I am far more impressed with my humor than she is.  Before I realized what was going on... . which has only been a couple months... . I had a long habit of really bad sarcastic jokes.  I figured that some would eventually be funny.

Some even made their way into marriage counseling when she was claiming that by bad jokes were telegraphing  my intentions to do this and that... .

Maybe someday I'll spill the story... . not sure if there is a "guys only" section on here... . but pretty sure that most guys would laugh their asses off and hope that their wives (BPD or otherwise) didn't see it happening... . and all women would say a quite prayer and be thankful they are not stuck with that kind of juvenile humor... .

While most of this BPD stuff really sucks... . I have been able to find some funny moments... .

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest