Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 06:34:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 356 times)
Kabooma

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »

I've been lurking here and at other discussion groups for a long long time.  I start to type my frustrations of my life, but so often it turns into a novel, page after page, of me just complaining about the daily struggles of being married to a BPD wife.

What I'm wondering specifically is that it's occurred to me that I see a distinct difference between the stories of men who have BPD wives, and the women who have BPD husbands.  The most common difference I see is the humiliation/aggression factors- it seems like a lot of BPD men spit, taunt, and physically or verbally abuse/humiliate their SO's, whereas the BPD wives tend to be more manipulative and vindictive on a more psychological level.

So, like I said, is it just me?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

MissyM

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »

I don't know. My dBPDh is very vindictive and psychologically manipulative.  He is very good at convincing people that don't know me that he is the victim.  It is really kind of scary, in that he is a really good liar.  He doesn't choose to be around people that know me because they don't buy his crazy stories.  He has been physically and verbally abusive, all of which he lies about and portrays himself as the victim.  The  vindictive and manipulative behaviors are much more dangerous than the other because he is very convincing.
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:45:47 AM »

Often this is a perception of the partner, eg a woman is more intimated by physical threat, whereas a male is more intimidated by the mental manipulations. These then become the concerns raised fueling the perception this is the way it is. In reality both sexes can display mental and physical abuse. Women can actually lash out physically with contact more than men as it is felt to be less of an evil, and does less physical damage.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Ritchie53

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:46:03 AM »

Very difficult to ascertain. Yes you are correct that the mental manipulation side is more 'in tune' with the female BPD to a certain extent, although each one is different, patterns remain the same. Be wary of anything that really triggers yourself. I was fairly solid in my relationship but my lapse came with social media. During devaluation, she would start posting pictures of herself over time increasing male attention, and also pseudo cryptic messages implying she was about to date other people if we had had an arguement. Once she saw the damage and distress this was causing me I was mincemeat. It increased over time and became her main tool for manipulation. So in retrospect, I should have kept emotionally on the ground - easier said than done when you know deep down they are 'checking out' of the relationship and you are desperately trying to claw back the idealisation phase.

So, watch for patterns, stay firm and try to show that some things do not bother you. Very much easier said than done. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest