Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:08:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What A Change Separation Makes  (Read 343 times)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« on: June 05, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »

I had to deal with uBPDx's extreme anxiety over our babies when they were born. It was what she had internalized from her mother, pretty much. It was such that I was forbidden from bathing the kids for their first 6 months or so, and all sorts of anxieties or superstitions that I won't go into.

Later, if S4 got even a scratch, his mom would blame me for not watching him or taking care of him properly. Naturally, I took on much anxiety myself for this. Luckily, I was able to get her to calm down from over-parenting in this regard.

This last week, S4 came home with a skinned lip, a good bruise in his leg, and decent abrasions on his arm and leg. His mom emailed me that they were downtown and she took him the local college campus (I am surprised she admitted this to me, since that is where her paramour goes... . there really isn't a reason to be down there except for that). If the shoe had been on the other foot? I would have gotten all sorts of criticism and rage based upon her past behaviors. For instance, when S4 was around 8 months old I "let" him fall asleep on my shoulder before his bath time, and in an instant she got so engaged she slammed the refrigerator door hard enough so that all of the contents came out and made a huge mess on the kitchen floor. All because he "had" to take a bath.

The fact that I didn't make a big deal out of this incident, I hope, leads her to mirror my objectivity. Kids are kids. I know I won't get that time "back" but at least she's more "normal" now.

I think... .

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »

Reciprocity is an iffy thing, so don't count on it.  Save this email from her.  Maybe if/when something like that happens on your watch then you can inform her as a "Reply" to this email.  Then if she freaks out you can then at least have her prior email chained to yours.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »

Reciprocity is an iffy thing, so don't count on it.  Save this email from her.  Maybe if/when something like that happens on your watch then you can inform her as a "Reply" to this email.  Then if she freaks out you can then at least have her prior email chained to yours.

That was actually a phone conversation. I minimize these as much as possible, since if she calls (other than for something logistical) or requests a call, I feel it's something that she doesn't want documented. I wish I had done this through email when I found out she had replaced me with her young bf in the kids' eyes which was causing behavior problems with them. That was a phone conversation. I just documented the basics in my journal.

I successfully have dovetailed another request for a call into emails in the past. However, she texted me to talk about papers yesterday, and I thought it was to talk about S4's school coming up, so I called back. It was about her questioning the support amount we served her with. I made the conversation BIFF, and referred her to contact my lawyer's office (which is what he said to do from now on. She doesn't have a L... . yet). I may have to go back to the Legal Board at some point if this drags on... .

What is applicable here is that she asked how the kids were this weekend (I took them out of town, swimming and other activities). I said they were fine, shared a little information, like S4's usual short acting out, D2 stoic as usual, loved swimming... . here I might lose my boundaries because the one person I feel the desire to talk to about parenting is the one person I don't want to talk to. I'm one of the rare low-conflict cases here, but I set firm boundaries back when we were still living together. LC=less potential for arguments or fights. Then she said, "I hope you'll tell me if something's going on with them and that they are ok." I replied that I would (with crossed fingers behind my back), but that they were fine.

They weren't excited about going back with her (they never are), but they were ok with it. I think she's trying to rope her bf into their lives again, more slowly than she did last time which caused them to act out against both of us. There was no reason for her to be on the college campus she said she was at when S4 was running and fell other than to see him. She's fishing for information. I'm not volunteering anything. So the less we talk on the phone, and the less we see each other, the less chance I have of slipping up. I've been going out of town on my non-kid weekends, so haven't had the chance to see her even at my church, where she had started bringing the kids on her Sundays. I checked the Sunday school log this past weekend, and I saw that she didn't bring the kids there when I wasn't there, so I think a lot of her bringing the kids is about seeing me, and looking for my approval of her mothering. Still my Hermit-Waif D32 

Queen and Witch are lurking underneath, though, which is why I'm LC as much as possible. I took care of signing up S4 for school, I'll be out of town this weekend again. It could be well over a month before I physically see her for some reason, and that's fine with me. After the papers are signed (praying), my boundaries tighten more... .

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest