Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 09:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delusional crisis  (Read 383 times)
LovesKevin

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: June 26, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »

My BPDh is threatening divorce and suicide, because my adult daughters have said things that hurt him due to his interpretation of intent, and I don't stop them. Meanwhile, his daughter loved me when we visited her. We have a therapist appointment in 10 days, but he says he won't go because he's triedceverything. I sent the police to check on him, because of the suicide threats. Now he is mad that I supposedly lied to them. We are so close to gettingvthe help we need, and he's throwing it all away. So much drama. Maybe I should ignore it as a true threat?

Have your SOs made threats like this and then backed down? I am so frustrated and worried about the trap he is ultimately building for himself. Maybe my responding is only making it worse. It's really overwhelming,  trying to decide the next best move.  :'( :'(
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »

Hi LovesKevin,

dealing with suicide threats can be scary, exhausting and leaving you emotionally drained  . There is limited things you can do - check out our general safety material here: https://bpdfamily.com/discussions/search-info3.htm. As important as it helping are boundaries and taking care of yourself. You did not cause this and you are not responsible for him - you already took a big step involving the police - of course if you have further immediate concerns you may have to take other steps.

Have your SOs made threats like this and then backed down? I am so frustrated and worried about the trap he is ultimately building for himself. Maybe my responding is only making it worse. It's really overwhelming,  trying to decide the next best move.  :'( :'(

The best you can do in a crisis is often not to make it worse. A typical instinctive misstep many make is to invalidate the distressed person. We want to make them feel better and we know the situation is not as bad as they make it - however the pwBPD does perceive the reality in a different and opposite way and our kind words make matters worse. Validating negative emotions takes guts as we have to spell out things we may fear ourselves, which are uncomfortable or are not what we feel but know the other side feels. He is in a crisis mode and for him it is the end of the world as he knows it - and who are we to dispute that - it is important for him to know that others know that he feels this is a total disaster, mega crisis etc... . He probably also feels that the upcoming session is scary (and for that reason declares it hopeless etc.). Again it is important not to dispute the hopeless but to express insecurity, fear of the upcoming session to enable him to regulate his fears.

Excerpt
My BPDh is threatening divorce and suicide, because my adult daughters have said things that hurt him due to his interpretation of intent, and I don't stop them.

Don't think "because". This was simply a trigger which brought to surface a lot of unprocessed emotions. In real life our emotions are going to be excited sooner or later - the key is getting back to a balanced state. The strategy when dealing with a pwBPD is not avoiding triggers (aka walking on eggshells) but to enable the person to better regulate through validation, more respect and independence (boundaries).

The LESSONS contain pointers to workshop on validation and boundaries.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
LovesKevin

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »

I read the lessons you mentioned. It really helped give me perspective to undersfand better what he is going through. I see some errors I have made. I am strong, and I have the heart for this. I am so afraid he will give into his feeling hopeless and take one of the solutions he sees, divorce or death. It is so frustrating to see him trapped by thoughts and feelings that seem to me to have much simpler solutions, like calling his therapist/coach or using the DBT tools he's supposed to be learning in his skills group. I've been trying to avoid the argument,  trying to avoid disagreeing, and simply say "Let's wait until we meet with the therapist. " That is still a week away, and now I see how that was invalidating to him, because he is in full crisis. I'm working hard to just be validating now, and hang on for the ride until then.
LovesKevin

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

This forum is so helpful. It's keeping me sane in the middle of the tornado.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest