Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 08:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about a lesson  (Read 423 times)
purplicious

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: living together 2 yrs

« on: June 30, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place.

Here is the part of the lesson I have a question on.

PERSPECTIVES: The do's and don'ts in a BPD relationship

« on: September 02, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »

This workshop is to discuss the Do's and Don'ts for adults staying in a relationship with a person with BPD.

Strength: It takes a great deal of strength and emotional stability to be in a BP relationship and not be emotionally injured by it.  A person in a weak emotional state, who feels wounded/abused, or depressed is likely to be consumed by the relationship, confused by the intense rages and idealization, and finding their self worth in decline.  If you chose this path, you've got to be very strong and very balanced.

My question is, what if you are in a weak emotional state because you have been in the relationship? How do you heal yourself while trying to be strong?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

corraline

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »

Hi purplicious

One of the things that started me on track to feel better was to start taking care of myself.  I started to feel healthier and stronger.  It was just little things.  My nervous system was ravaged and my self esteem had plummeted.  I needed me .

Here is a link about self care.

What does it mean to take care of yourself? It is a great perspective piece.

You may find some ideas there that will help you build strength and with that find more balance.

Its all baby steps at this point... .   You are worth it.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »

Everything takes a long time. One of the first priorities is healing yourself. It is not easy but is of the highest priority. It does seem like an insurmountable mountain, but it can be tackled one step at a time

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
purplicious

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »

Thanks so much for the information! I will start reading that asap. I know its going to take baby steps and on most days I want to try I want to fix me so we can have an us!
purplicious

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »

Corraline,

Wow its so much info! So of course there r 50million questions.

It talks about stop thinking of them first. Here is a lil bit I pulled from the lesson.

It's the mindset.  I'm almost trained to think if her first.  I didn't reailze how bad it was until recently.  She wouldn't even have to ask me to do something for her, just mention it and I volunteer.  This is a small example of the big picture, but, the other night, we were watching TV and the kids were being typical loud little boys, and she said in just regular conversation "I think it's about time for baths".  And I just said, "Yep, let's go" and got up and hurded the boys upstairs.  On my way it hit me, she didn't tell me to do it, she didn't even ask me to do it, I just did it.  Like a trained dog.  Conditional response or something.

You've got to get out of that mindset, which is easier said than done, because it is like a conditioned repsonse.  You can do it without really even thinking about it.  You need to return your first thought to being about you, and not "what will he/she do, think, react, etc."

Question.  How am I suppose to do that? Even tho I think of her all the time she accuses me of never thinking about her. So if I stop trying to think of her will that not make it worse. Or worse to get better is what its about?

These are all so hard. I've been trained well the last two yrs.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

Question.  How am I suppose to do that? Even tho I think of her all the time she accuses me of never thinking about her.

Isn't this her problem that she gets upset about being in a relationship with someone who does not put her first all the time?

A validating response could be: "I don't think about you all the time. I do think at times about myself, my problems and at times about other people too. I do think about you a lot.".

So if I stop trying to think of her will that not make it worse. Or worse to get better is what its about?

These are all so hard. I've been trained well the last two yrs.

Don't think about a PINK ELEPHANT!

Can you do that? It may well happen that you start seeing a big pink mammal in your mind right away. Our brain is not wired well to do things "not". Simply take good care of yourself and take ownership of your perspective first and foremost. This in combination with boundaries will already go a long way.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
purplicious

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »

Corraline, 

So basically she has a right to be upset and not like it but I also have the right to do stuff for myself? Just because she isnt happy doesnt mean I have to change to make her happy its her decision to be unhappy?

Thank you so much!
corraline

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »

Her feelings are her feelings, yours are yours.    Its not your job to make her happy.  Her feelings of happiness are hers. When we start to focus on ourselves and give ourselves permission to feel our feelings and not judge ours or theirs we can feel more of a sense of our own self.  It will give you more clarity about what is theirs and what is yours. You can start to feel stronger in yourself.

hope that makes some sense. Smiling (click to insert in post)
waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »

Question.  How am I suppose to do that? Even tho I think of her all the time she accuses me of never thinking about her. So if I stop trying to think of her will that not make it worse. Or worse to get better is what its about?

It all part of Neediness, neediness is a process and can't be sated by meeting that need. It just moves on.

An analogy.

Think of neediness as a river flowing by. You are attempting to stop that river flowing by tipping in your personal water storage in. The river keeps flowing, may even flow faster as you tip more water in. Eventually you will have no water left, and the river still flows.

A river needs water and it will drain it from everywhere around. Only a drought will stop a river from flowing. Preventing neediness requires others around to stop giving, not just you. You alone cant stop it as you cant control what others do, but you can prevent your own storage being drained.

It is very difficult, and goes against our instincts, to not feed neediness as it pulls a lot of emotive strings.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
purplicious

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »

It all part of Neediness, neediness is a process and can't be sated by meeting that need. It just moves on.

An analogy.

Think of neediness as a river flowing by. You are attempting to stop that river flowing by tipping in your personal water storage in. The river keeps flowing, may even flow faster as you tip more water in. Eventually you will have no water left, and the river still flows.

A river needs water and it will drain it from everywhere around. Only a drought will stop a river from flowing. Preventing neediness requires others around to stop giving, not just you. You alone cant stop it as you cant control what others do, but you can prevent your own storage being drained.

It is very difficult, and goes against our instincts, to not feed neediness as it pulls a lot of emotive strings.

Ty! I love getting all this information!  Im trying hard to understand everything.  I see more n more the things I've been doing to enable or add to the stress. Hopefully I can start putting into practice what I've been learning.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest