Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:21:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very surprising observation  (Read 359 times)
Cat21

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: July 03, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »

My uBPDh's older sister has a lot of power over my husband; she always has. I suspect that she also has BPD, and is probably largely the biggest influence in terms of my husband's traits. But that's a story for another time...

A few moments ago, she called husband to reprimand him for not returning her phone call on HIS birthday (yesterday). The conversation continued as they discussed an upcoming visit of mutual family members. These family members will be in town (where we live) for a work event, and conveniently, we have a few nights available during that week, so we'll be able to spend time with them. His sister became upset by this, as she has been trying to nail down a time for she and her kids to come visit us, but my husband "never responds to her texts." This is not true; he has told her numerous times to pick a weekend and we'll make it work. (Our work schedules are not 9-5; we rarely have 'free' weekends.) This argument spun out over the span of 20 minutes, with my husband being the logical voice and his sister completely dysregulating- interrupting him, talking over him, hurling insults, and completely fabricating lies. He even used the same language with her that I use with him! He was calm and direct and told her that it wasn't productive for them to argue, and he hung up the phone. I was actually very surprised. How can it be that he is capable of being rational in a disagreement with her, but is not capable of being rational with me?  I even heard him say, "You're projecting your own feelings of insecurity onto me". He was right- she totally was!

Has anyone else experienced this role reversal?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »

I haven't personally witnessed this but it makes sense.

My exgf has had some fairly demanding jobs and has coped with them very well. Now you would expect that because of how they are with us they would crack under the pressure but they don't seem to.

Its as if the pressure allows them to detach from their inner struggle and focus.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »

Hi Cat21,

My uBPDh's older sister has a lot of power over my husband; she always has. I suspect that she also has BPD, and is probably largely the biggest influence in terms of my husband's traits. But that's a story for another time...

A few moments ago, she called husband to reprimand him for not returning her phone call on HIS birthday (yesterday). The conversation continued as they discussed an upcoming visit of mutual family members. These family members will be in town (where we live) for a work event, and conveniently, we have a few nights available during that week, so we'll be able to spend time with them. His sister became upset by this, as she has been trying to nail down a time for she and her kids to come visit us, but my husband "never responds to her texts." This is not true; he has told her numerous times to pick a weekend and we'll make it work. (Our work schedules are not 9-5; we rarely have 'free' weekends.) This argument spun out over the span of 20 minutes, with my husband being the logical voice and his sister completely dysregulating- interrupting him, talking over him, hurling insults, and completely fabricating lies. He even used the same language with her that I use with him! He was calm and direct and told her that it wasn't productive for them to argue, and he hung up the phone. I was actually very surprised. How can it be that he is capable of being rational in a disagreement with her, but is not capable of being rational with me?  I even heard him say, "You're projecting your own feelings of insecurity onto me". He was right- she totally was!

Has anyone else experienced this role reversal?

I think this type of conflict is very common - a lot - not all - of our partners come from families with issues and have siblings or parents that are at least conflict prone.

What you are describing is imho. actually a very good sign. Your husband is emulating some healthy conflict behavior he picked up from you. I found that these conflicts with external parties - theirs or ours - often present opportunities for exercising different behavior and contain teachable moments. A validating comment in your situation could have been "She was too upset to listen properly. Better to talk another time. Well done hanging up after tried a few times to get through.". When our partners adopt healthier behavior with others chances are that they will at time also do the more difficult step of applying them to something that is much closer to them i.e. us. Also healthier conflict behavior helps to build self esteem and reduces the overall level of conflict in their and thus our life. Especially for learning boundaries standing together and going together through the (e-)motions can be helpful. Unlike validation where there is a win-win boundaries are often a win-lose and that makes it hard to have open communication during a conflict.

It does feel weird to observe and it is important to remember that intra relationship conflicts are emotionally more charged and in addition our ability to observe might then be warped too.

We don't talk much on the board about this transfer of skills to the pwBPD as the focus of the Staying board is squarely on what we can control i.e. ourselves. But when you read stories of members that have been here for a longer while it crops up between the lines. This is one of the reasons we should all be trying to use the tools as well as we can - we are important role models in the medium to long term.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »

Agreed! 

This is good news.

As my family continues to make baby steps in the right direction... .I am trying to look to the future to helping uBPDw deal with "high conflict" in her family.

The usually say it loudly (code for yelling at each other) and then move along.  However... .nothing seems to get solved or decided.  So... they always seem to be circling each other trying to figure out who is up or down on the power scale.

Luckily for me... .my uBPDw seems to care the least about this drama... .however she is still involved.

Cat21

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

Thanks formflier and anOught!

I did validate him for ending the convo; I said something like, "You did the right thing. She wasn't listening and clearly needs some time to cool down." Then he said, "She's trying to use guilt to make me feel bad. I know that- I do it, too!" I smiled and said, "Gee, really?" Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest