Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 06:08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's practice Radical Acceptance together?  (Read 1229 times)
ziniztar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« on: July 19, 2014, 03:04:41 AM »

As I know many of us struggle with the issue of radical acceptance, and I'm on the verge of diving into the topic, I decided to share my journey with you. I hope other will join in practicing radical acceptance as it does not come very natural to us.

In Tools: Radical Acceptance it states:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=89910.0

When faced with a painful situation, you really have only 4 options:

1 Solve the problem.

2 Change how you feel about the problem.

3 Accept it.

4 Stay miserable; continue to be a victim.

I've had numerous fights the last weeks with my dBPDbf, and a big allmost breakup talk yesterday. He's in therapy and becoming aware of the inequality of our relationship and feeling miserable for it. He wishes someone else for me (I hate it when guys do that). He mentioned: "I think we're destroying each other by staying together."

And he's right. It's been ugly. In the first few months of a relationship you're fine with whatever the other does. Everything is fantastic. Then you start to see the parts you don't like and accept them for what they are. But in a BPD relationship, things won't get normal. Accepting takes a lot more work. I've noticed I've been consumed in option number 1, 2 and 4. I started out with 1 and 2, but if the problem wasn't fixed or he kept poking long enough and I couldn't keep my altered view of the problem, I would switch to 4 again.  

What about you? What is your reaction to painful events? 1, 2, 3 or 4?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:41:10 AM »

1 Solve the problem.

3 Accept it.

What is your reaction to painful events? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

This is good, ziniztar Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I use all of the above when faced with a   (what the ... .?) event.  This is basically how it goes for me:

Starts out with #4 -  I am thrown for a loop.  Something just came out of left field that I wasn't expecting.  It is when I do my best venting with a friend who experiences similar.  I get validation that what has happened is whack.  It is very short term.  My own mini-AAAARGH!

2- Change how you feel about the problem. 

If it's not a deal-breaker then I have options.  I can do a, b, c, d etc... .  Respond according to my values.  Don't sugarcoat, nor pile on.  If it makes him feel uncomfortable, so be it.

3-  Solve problem

The problem gets solved by living my values.  He has the freedom and the right to live his life however he chooses to live it.  Same here   We're equals.

4- Acceptance

He is who he is and does what he does.  Trust myself that I will act in my own best interest, with respect for him and the relationship.

Triptoes

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »

Great topic! And something I really need to work on right now. Let's see.

Excerpt

1 Solve the problem.

3 Accept it.

What is your reaction to painful events? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

My default option is none of the above, but option number 5 - try to sweep the problem under the rug and throw yourself down to keep it there for good or my version of option number 4 - which for me entails some heavy, heavy defensiveness and side-stepping in (futile) hopes that someone or something else will fix the problem.

Needless to say, these strategies don't really work for me all that well.

When I deal with things succesfully, first step is what is stated here as number 3 - acceptance. Accepting that there is a problem, that it exists and I need to address it in some way or form. Sometimes this is obvious, but with some things I still need to make this a more concious effort - to be fully aware of my feelings and when something is happening that is not in line with my values. Only then I can move on.

I guess after that to me comes number 2 - changing the way I view the problem: from impossible to managable. From "I can't deal with this!" to "okay, let's see what I/we can do now". In the case of our relationship problems, from "he is doing/talking/acting all wrong!" to "we are two uniquely different people with different ideas, feelings and expectations - I need to communicate mine and listen to his". And in terms of general life-direction issues, from "I am doomed" to "I write my own story, I will choose which path I want to choose".

And after that there is time for trying to find a solution. Maybe we find one, maybe we don't. Maybe choosing the right thing will be difficult. Maybe the solution is a compromise that annoys the hell out of me. Maybe the solution will be just to accept my partner as he is. Maybe the solution is to focus on what I need. Maybe through calm discussion we find middle ground and can genuinly both be satisfied with the result. Maybe - and this is also an important option! - I feel too unsure to choose between two difficult options, so I choose to live with the discomfort longer, until I know for sure.

Working on this process every day lately. Sometimes doing better, sometimes worse. But I'm proud of myself already for trying. Smiling (click to insert in post)

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »

Good information, ziniztar  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Radical Acceptance is probably the very first thing I go to in my head when things get hurtful or confusing to me regarding my BPD loved ones. I try to click over to that tool when I feel myself getting confused, hurt or forlorn for the relationship, and remind myself that this is how my loved one feels and thinks. It is what it is. And that relationship is not going to be exactly what I'd always hoped it would--or this person's life will never be what I'd hoped it would. I can choose love, if I decide to work with them and see what I can do to keep the relationship healthy.

So, to that end, I guess my go-to strategy tends to be:

1. Solve the problem (for me, anyway, by taking my feelings out of it if possible)

2. Change how I feel about the problem.

3. Accept it. Radically.

And, yeah... .I've been where everyone else has been at one time or another (at Triptoes' option #5   ) when things seemed too huge to tackle (all that was prior to my finding this site and learning what I've learned here). I've also found, like 123Phoebe, that "the problem gets solved by living my values. He has the freedom and the right to live his life however he chooses to live it. Same here... .we're equals... ."

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »

The thing I keep in mind is that these options are fluid. But you need to start with one of them or you just default to 4.

2 & 3 are often counterintuitive and not always easy to come at, and areas where it is all too easy to throw up you arms feeling like a failure or a fraud. To get past this you have to accept that these options are not natural, that you will fail and in fact will say and go through the motions before any of it becomes ingrained.

Choosing a path, no matter what it is, is important, as choice is empowering and default thinking is our undoing.

Good provoking thread Zinzitar

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Emelie Emelie

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:45 AM »

I'm on the leaving board (sadly) but popped over here to see how you all are doing.  My only option is #3.  I can't solve the problem, I can't seem to change how I feel about it (heartbroken), but I refuse to stay miserable, become a victim.  (It's going to take me a long time to get past miserable however). 
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »

1 Solve the problem.

3 Accept it.

I think I pick different combinations of the 4 approaches above depending on the situation.  Something like an edict from on high at work that I don't like might be a simple 4 then 3.

Right now I am working on some issues regarding my SO's daughters I have done 4 then 3 then 4 again now I'm working on 1 but might have to go to 2 to be successful at 1 and if not successful with 1 I go back to 3... .I feel like I'm inventing some strange dance step! Smiling (click to insert in post)

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
ziniztar

Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »

Thanks for the thumbs up  Smiling (click to insert in post) I'm hoping it will insipire more of us to look at this tool. When I first got onto the site and read about it I found it a little vague, and kind of an open door. Now I'm a bit further down the path I see how me not accepting his behaviour is hindering progress for the both of us.

A few bits out of the replies that inspired me:

Trust myself that I will act in my own best interest, with respect for him and the relationship.

choice is empowering and default thinking is our undoing.

Triptoes, I have to commend you for your honesty and self-awareness. I chuckled a little bit when you described #5. What I do think is that acceptance always comes last. If you start with 1, 2 or 4, and the problem isn't solved, changing the way you feel about the problem doesn't help, or you feel yourself victimized... in the end the situation will only get better if you accept it. Kind of like Rapt Reader proposes.

EmelieEmelie, I'm sorry to read you left the staying board. Is it you who decided to leave? I think there is a distinct difference between feeling miserable and feeling & acting like a victim. I believe that people that take responsiblity for their own lives feel miserable but accept it is part of the path they have chosen themselves. It makes it easier to grieve if you're realizing that even though it feels bad now, you know it's the right choice and you are taking good care of yourself. I wish you all the best  .

I've decided to start practicing small. When I was trying to learn to say no (always saying yes got me into issues at work  Smiling (click to insert in post)) I didn't practice on my boss immediately. I started saying no to people asking me in the streets to buy their news paper. I said it to people asking me for directions as I live in quite a touristy city. Even though I didn't know these people it was quite the excersize to overcome the guilt I already felt towards them. Slowly I started to bear the feeling and was able to say no to more important people where I felt I had something to lose. 2 years later it's not an issue anymore  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post).

So. This week, I'm practicing to radically accept any bumps I get into at work - even though there are big deadlines and it will be a stressed, messy time. What about you?
itgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: 4 years living together

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »

RA for me this week is to accept that when my partner is going through a hard time (flu, PMS, depressed) she is constantly looking for things I do wrong. 

Like yesterday I trained the dogs for two hours.  I made so much progress that I took a little video to show her how the dogs behaved.  She spotted at the end of the video that the dogs leads were close to one another. Not commenting at all at their good behavior. 

I was a little hurt by it but then realized that she is not capable of giving me what I want at this time.  She is too empty and hurt inside.  That was more sad for me then me wanting a pat on the back.  I decided to show the video to my sister next time I see her and move on with the evening not being bothered.

Small acceptance but huge difference in the outcome of the evening.

I picked option 2 and 3  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »

We might also want to incorporate that being at #4 is ok "right now".

If we realize that this is an issue and it can't stay an issue long term.  This might be a situation where you haven't totally worked through values and boundaries... .and so for the time being you are going to let a situation continue with no attempt on your part to change it.

So there is education and thinking going on... .but no action that is perceivable by the pwBPD.

Is this a modification to 4... .or does it need to be a new number 4... .and 4 slides down to 5.

Thoughts?

Thanks for this ziniztar Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

This is a topic I have used some... .but need to work on more.  Especially the change my attitude about it...

Wouldn't it be easier if everyone else changed to suit me? Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »

Wouldn't it be easier if everyone else changed to suit me? Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    

Isn't there a name for people who think like that?  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

ziniztar

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »

RA for me this week is to accept that when my partner is going through a hard time (flu, PMS, depressed) she is constantly looking for things I do wrong.  

I can see why you would want to achieve this. But make sure you take little steps. It can also make you feel hopeless if you just simply can't. As waverider mentioned, part of the RA Is also that you accept that sometimes you can't RA.

Are there any other, smaller things you could practice on this week that are not related yo our SO?

I had a good excersize and experience Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) work this week. I found out about some very unrealistic and unvoiced expectations Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) my client. Usually this would cause me to get very frustrated and angry. I took a deep breath and realized they are only human and me getting angry does not help the situation in any kind of way. It actually helped me to perform better, professionally, and to solve the situation quicker.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Just wanted to mention that I've had quite the  Idea in my Dealing with loneliness thread on the Taking Personal Inventory board. I realized which part of my resentment that kept me away from RA is actually inflicted by myself and therefor under my own direct control to be changed. Perhaps an inspirational read for anyone who is open to take his own personal inventory... I feel very energized after having written that last post   Smiling (click to insert in post).

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 06:07:00 AM »

Make sure you dont confuse acceptance with understanding. You may understand this is what she is doing, but do you accept it and not let it bother you? That is the hard bit about acceptance, if it still bothers you then you have not yet reached acceptance.

This is why acceptance is more of an evolution than a simple choice. We often have to role play it before it really develops. Even then complete acceptance often evades us.

ziniztar

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:38 AM »

If we realize that this is an issue and it can't stay an issue long term.  This might be a situation where you haven't totally worked through values and boundaries... .and so for the time being you are going to let a situation continue with no attempt on your part to change it.

So there is education and thinking going on... .but no action that is perceivable by the pwBPD.

Is this a modification to 4... .or does it need to be a new number 4... .and 4 slides down to 5.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are: I don't agree with you. Allowing for #4 to be OK will keep you in #4. I get that it will help you to not worsen the situation if you don't get mad at yourself for ending up in #4. I think there's a difference between feeling like a victim and acting like one. As long as you don't act like one, I'm ok with it . Luckily for you, you don't need my approval, you need your own  Smiling (click to insert in post).
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »

Thoughts?

My thoughts are: I don't agree with you. Allowing for #4 to be OK will keep you in #4. I get that it will help you to not worsen the situation if you don't get mad at yourself for ending up in #4. I think there's a difference between feeling like a victim and acting like one. As long as you don't act like one, I'm ok with it . Luckily for you, you don't need my approval, you need your own  Smiling (click to insert in post).

Interesting... .

So... .what is... .or how would you describe the category where you know you shouldn't be "there"... .but you haven't quite figured out a way... .or the proper way... .to get to one of the other options.

Might not be apples to apples... .but for a long time I knew that for lack of boundaries I was getting run over pretty hard.  I also... luckily... .figured out early on from education that making a move and backing down was worse than doing nothing at all. 

So... .there were several weeks... maybe longer where I consciously choose to let status quo stay... .because I knew I had things to figure out.

That is where I'm coming up with staying at #4 "right now". 

but I'm mixing radical acceptance and boundaries... .that could be confusing.

Thoughts?

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »

I think what you are getting at there is putting things on the back burner whilst you asses what to do. That is not really 4 as you are no longer feeling victim, or being miserable. You are planning your future and feeling hopeful.

I took the approach you tackle everything at one and so applied a sliding scale to issues. Essential core issues got immediate boundaries and while i dealt with all the conflict that ensued due these changes, other things went on the back burner for now, and some where simply accepted as not that big a deal in the big picture.

You can't address everything as there are 1000s of little issues, many of which turn out to be symptoms traceable back to core issues.

Of course it is still a big task and it takes a lot of time and practice to get out of the "why me" poor victim mode.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »

I think what you are getting at there is putting things on the back burner whilst you asses what to do. That is not really 4 as you are no longer feeling victim, or being miserable. You are planning your future and feeling hopeful.

I took the approach you tackle everything at one and so applied a sliding scale to issues. Essential core issues got immediate boundaries and while i dealt with all the conflict that ensued due these changes, other things went on the back burner for now, and some where simply accepted as not that big a deal in the big picture.

You can't address everything as there are 1000s of little issues, many of which turn out to be symptoms traceable back to core issues.

Of course it is still a big task and it takes a lot of time and practice to get out of the "why me" poor victim mode.

Yep... I'll  go along with that.

When you say core issues... .is that the core issue for you... .the person that wants to do the boundary... .or the "root" of the problem?

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »

When you say core issues... .is that the core issue for you... .the person that wants to do the boundary... .or the "root" of the problem?

Whatever makes you feel sick inside, rather than plain injustice or frustration. This would cover the major biggies such as abuse, serious disrespect and other such malicious behavior.

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »

Whatever makes you feel sick inside, rather than plain injustice or frustration. This would cover the major biggies such as abuse, serious disrespect and other such malicious behavior.

So... .for me... .being informed of a decision with my kids versus discussing an issue and coming up with a joint decision is a "core issue". 

Before when I was informed... .I felt I had no real power... .because it put me in the position of trying to argue her out of her position... .

Does this sound like a core issue to you... .or is that a process issue. 

And in that case maybe the core issue is respect for me as a father.

Thoughts?

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »

So... .for me... .being informed of a decision with my kids versus discussing an issue and coming up with a joint decision is a "core issue". 

Before when I was informed... .I felt I had no real power... .because it put me in the position of trying to argue her out of her position... .

Thoughts?

If it really eats you up inside it is. It is not always about what would normally be regarded as fair or justifiable. The idea is to stop you getting wound up. So we address those triggers first.

We are far more affective in dealing with all this if we can be objective in our thinking, that is always tainted if we are wound up like a spring ready to snap back

I used to get in this state when she used projection on my kids who were just going about their business and found themselves suddenly the subject of blaming and finger pointing as a result of her having issues about something. Before I discovered BPD I had no idea how to combat this. That was a core issue for me, as it was bringing out aggressove protection instincts (totally ineffectively)

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:12 PM »

Thoughts?

If it really eats you up inside it is. It is not always about what would normally be regarded as fair or justifiable. The idea is to stop you getting wound up. So we address those triggers first.

We are far more affective in dealing with all this if we can be objective in our thinking, that is always tainted if we are wound up like a spring ready to snap back

I used to get in this state when she used projection on my kids who were just going about their business and found themselves suddenly the subject of blaming and finger pointing as a result of her having issues about something. Before I discovered BPD I had no idea how to combat this. That was a core issue for me, as it was bringing out aggressove protection instincts (totally ineffectively)

Yep... .then it is a core issue for me. 

When she changed this behavior... .it meant the world to me.

There is still a little nuance I would like to change... .so that if she gets asked can we do something by kids... .her response is that she will discuss it with me and then we issue a decision. 

There is still some... "it's ok with me... but lets check with Dad" going on."  That  still leaves me the odd man out... .having to argue a decision away.

I'd say we are about 90% there on this issue

ziniztar

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »

I'd say we are about 90% there on this issue

Then I guess that other 10% are RA, for the time being?

I'm happy to read you've already accomplished so much together  .

I have a different question. I know my dBPDbf is getting treatement and his top scroring schema is that of 'detached selfcarer' which sounds really good but in real life means he's allowing himself things a healthy grown up wouldn't allow himself. Too much alcohol, too much work, too much distractions and ways to soothe himself that are conflicting other goals (e.g. a stable relationship, studying for a test he needs to get a promotion at work). It makes him very selfish, overly (dangerously) positive, out of sync with his own feelings and detached when with others. It is what drives me nuts as my need to feel connected is not fullfilled even though he pretends to be there. 'Together but alone' would be a good description.

Either way. I know he knows this about himself, he's even actively using it as an explanation (I hope not excuse) for his behaviour. I know he is working on this. It is one of the things that hurts me the most and what I would not want to tolerate in a future relationship. Then here is the main question: when do you radically accept, and when do you provide intermittent reinforcement? If I accept certain behaviour now, knowing that he can't do any better now but hoping that he's changing it... will I not send mixed signals if I no longer wish to tolerate this in the future? It kinda feels like there is a (justified) expiration date on my acceptance.

In the mean time, radical acceptance is what I'm practicing at home. I have a roommate that I am not all too happy about anymore (I notice I want to live by myself, or with my dBPDbf, but not with someone else) and whenever I feel frustrated about him I try to channel that into ... .well I guess a combination of changing how I feel about the problem and radical acceptance. I know I've chosen to be in this housing situation and that a few months ago this was the best option there was. I know this house gives me a lot of freedom (close to work = no traveling) and that any other option at the time would have been worse. I radically accept that this is my situation now and that his presence while I wanted to be alone is something I have to live with, at least until the end of our lease contract.
waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 01:40:12 AM »

Intermittent reinforcement is when you concede on an issue after having previously made it a boundary. Then when you try to enforce it, or other boundaries in future they believe if they push hard enough you will cave, hence making it harder in future.

This is the main reason you have to absolutley sure of a boundary before you make it so that you dont do this.

Acceptance, particularly on a "for now" basis is simply a way of of avoiding constant battles on many fronts and getting nowhere with any. It is all a part of proceeding forward a bit at a time in realistic steps.

Often addressing more basic issues helps to ease the underlying cause of other flow on issues.

eg Once you can reduce unnecessary conflict somewhat you will lower natural defensiveness, which will include such things as projection and automatic denials.

Your own levels of acceptance ad tolerance will change throughout this process.

ziniztar

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »

Yeah... ok. And calling once a day has nothing to do with a boundary. It is a desire but focused on each other, not myself. A boundary would be ... if he's not contacting me I will write in my diary, listen to my boundary playlist and do my toenails. My nails will be shiny as hell Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).

PS it really works, I have a playlist with only-me numbers that remind me of all other other relationships or crushes I've had and how I've overcome them. It's instant Perspective Smiling (click to insert in post).

In this situation what I have to accept is that he has a coping style focused on not being alone = planning lots of activities + ADHD (despite his medicin) = chaos in our week schedules. His fear of engulfment and control won't allow him to set a fixed day in the week to see each other. If I can accept this for now, set a healthy boundary for myself in case of extreme weeks... we could make it.

Thanks.  
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:14 PM »

I have a different question. I know my dBPDbf is getting treatement and his top scroring schema is that of 'detached selfcarer' which sounds really good but in real life means he's allowing himself things a healthy grown up wouldn't allow himself. Too much alcohol, too much work, too much distractions and ways to soothe himself that are conflicting other goals (e.g. a stable relationship, studying for a test he needs to get a promotion at work).

Very interesting... .how did you come by this information?  Please give more details!

ziniztar

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 03:34:20 AM »

I have a different question. I know my dBPDbf is getting treatement and his top scroring schema is that of 'detached selfcarer' which sounds really good but in real life means he's allowing himself things a healthy grown up wouldn't allow himself. Too much alcohol, too much work, too much distractions and ways to soothe himself that are conflicting other goals (e.g. a stable relationship, studying for a test he needs to get a promotion at work).

Very interesting... .how did you come by this information?  Please give more details!

Hey formflier. Schema therapy is the standard approach to BPD here in my country and has been quite renowned I think for it's effects? You can find more info here: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_Therapy

I was talking about the Detached Protector (under identified modes). The Impulsive child is big with my dBPDbf as well, his Angry one has toned down a lot lately. I haven't seen it for quite a while  . I know how he scores on them as I know him and recognize the behaviour, and also because I found his test results lingering around on his table a few weeks ago and I couldn't stop reading when I realized what it was.

He's working a lot these weeks and going to summer camps, gone for days in a row. When I was on the phone with him last week he said "Yeah ok I know that this is the Detached Protector mode full on but hey I can't change everything at once." A few months ago, when he was extremely upset because had had forgotten something (completely blown out of proportion), after 10 minutes of sadness, wining and a little bit of rage he said: "My T says I am in the Hurt, Abandoned Child mode and that I should think how my Healthy Adult would handle this."

Those are not TLC's, those are Huge Changes... .that's what keeps me going. He's fighting, so he deserves it for someone to stick around (as long as I can keep it together personally ).

Oh, and if anyhting... I get into an Abandoned Child mode as well. Guess that's room for therapy in the upcoming weeks.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 04:05:36 AM »

Good stuff!  Thanks for the information.

And I'm very glad you both seem to be making some huge changes!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

yeeter

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »

Great post.

For me, #2 and #3 are the same thing (because not accepting it is really #4).  And #4 isnt much of an option (at least not one that I would consciously choose)

So solve it.  Or change how I feel about it (acceptance is a part of this).  This is an especially good option when I dont CONTROL the outcome.  In fact, its the only option in this case.

Given there are many problems that cant be 'solved' (some can, but some cant), and even more that cant be solved by me alone (the only thing I do control), then by definition a lot of acceptance going on and I have to get good at it.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »

Yeah... .good day to be thinking about radical acceptance for me.

I'm still struggling with "being happy" about our new money situation.  I won't really know if I'm happy until taxes are filed this year.  If it actually gets done by my wife... .then things should look good for the long term.  If it doesn't... .then I am faced with having to "rescue" or "fix" a situation that she caused (took money and started making independent decisions).  I don't want to do that... .(the rescue)... .I think I'll let natural consequences play out.  

Or I can try to step in... .which causes conflict.  I'm really enjoying no conflict.  

So... in a situation where waiting is really the only viable pathway... .what do you do when you are having trouble with patience... .there is a good question... .!   Smiling (click to insert in post)

ziniztar

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »

Given there are many problems that cant be 'solved' (some can, but some cant), and even more that cant be solved by me alone (the only thing I do control), then by definition a lot of acceptance going on and I have to get good at it.

Good one!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

then I am faced with having to "rescue" or "fix" a situation that she caused (took money and started making independent decisions).  I don't want to do that... .(the rescue)... .I think I'll let natural consequences play out.  

Acceptance doesn't mean you don't act! It means you accept the situation as it is, not fighting what you don't control.

Let's take an example. Fruzetti talks about a thermostat that is being changed in his video on validation.

Let's say that it's very cold in the house and you see that as a problem because you were born in Aruba and can't take any temperature below 25 degrees Celcius. The thermostat is broken and stuck at 17C!

You can then:

#1 Solve the problem: call a technician to fix the thermostat.

#2 Change how you feel about the problem: being cold really isn't the end of the world and I still have a house to live in. Puttings things in perspective.

#3 Accept it. Still see it as a very nasty thing (the cold), but accepting that you can't fix it and will be cold.

#4 Stay miserable: sit and pouch on the couch until someone else is going to fix the thermostat or offer you a sweater.

Perhaps it would be a good exercise. What kind of (simple, tangible) example problem could everyone personally think of and what would the four responses look like?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest