Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: birthday ruined  (Read 375 times)
dog_star

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »

I just need to vent for a minute. my dBPDw is on the second day of rage. today is her birthday but now it looks like it is garbage... . with all my efforts, cake dinner etc.  so lame and sad. I guess I will finish the cake anyway... .
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »

dog_star

I feel for you. I have had a few of those why did I bother birthday celebrations, too. It's not you. That you made the effort is what speaks volumes. I am sorry that your wife can't hear it. Hope you get to enjoy the cake, anyway.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »

Did the fact that it is her birthday have anything to do with the rage? It is a common trigger

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
maxsterling

Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »

I've learned that a birthday or holiday is almost guaranteed dysregulation.  Remind yourself it isn't you or anything you did,, and no way you can fix it.  Why is it hard for them?  From what I have observed:

- They are expected to be social, and this causes anxiety in many pwBPD.

- They hear from people whom only contact them during holidays.  They sense these people as "phonies", and often they would rather not hear from those people.

- They notice when people forget their birthday.  And there will always be one or two and if not they anticipate there will be one or two and are grouchy as they expect this.

- In their mind, all their birthdays have been bad, so they expect another bad one.

- They are getting older, and that brings on the shame of having done nothing the past year.

-  They didn't get the gift they wanted.  But they didn't even know what they wanted, so don't put this on you.

My mom has a few BPD traits (but probably not enough to be diagnosed), and growing up my dad would get so much anxiety over my mom's birthday and Christmas. He'd worry so much about what to get her.  And he would get her some very thoughtful things, and she would completely reject them.  Didn't matter if it was jewelry, clothing, some useful gadget, or something handmade.  I felt bad for my dad, because the next year the anxiety would be worse for him.  I remember one year he made reservations at a nice restaurant, had the restaurant reserve a special cake for her, and had it all planned out as a surprise.  By late morning, she noticed there was no birthday cake in the house, and proceeded to bake her own cake!  So my dad had to spill the beans that he had planned a surprise dinner for her.  But she kept baking her own cake, anyway, went out on her own for fast food for dinner, and my dad had to cancel the dinner reservations.  Gee, after recalling that story, maybe my mom is BPD!

MommaBear

Relationship status: Divorce in progress

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »

I've learned that a birthday or holiday is almost guaranteed dysregulation.  Remind yourself it isn't you or anything you did,, and no way you can fix it.  Why is it hard for them?  From what I have observed:

- They are expected to be social, and this causes anxiety in many pwBPD.

- They hear from people whom only contact them during holidays.  They sense these people as "phonies", and often they would rather not hear from those people.

- They notice when people forget their birthday.  And there will always be one or two and if not they anticipate there will be one or two and are grouchy as they expect this.

- In their mind, all their birthdays have been bad, so they expect another bad one.

- They are getting older, and that brings on the shame of having done nothing the past year.

-  They didn't get the gift they wanted.  But they didn't even know what they wanted, so don't put this on you.

My mom has a few BPD traits (but probably not enough to be diagnosed), and growing up my dad would get so much anxiety over my mom's birthday and Christmas. He'd worry so much about what to get her.  And he would get her some very thoughtful things, and she would completely reject them.  :)idn't matter if it was jewelry, clothing, some useful gadget, or something handmade.  I felt bad for my dad, because the next year the anxiety would be worse for him.  I remember one year he made reservations at a nice restaurant, had the restaurant reserve a special cake for her, and had it all planned out as a surprise.  By late morning, she noticed there was no birthday cake in the house, and proceeded to bake her own cake!  So my dad had to spill the beans that he had planned a surprise dinner for her.  But she kept baking her own cake, anyway, went out on her own for fast food for dinner, and my dad had to cancel the dinner reservations.  Gee, after recalling that story, maybe my mom is BPD!

I can relate to this.

I'm not a regular on this board, but I wanted to post here.

Don't know what made me look on this board. Guess I wanted to try and remember what made me leave my xhwBPD.

He ruined ALL of my birthdays, and every one of his were never good enough.

I threw a massive, MASSIVE party for him the year before I left him. 60+ guests, catering, the works. I saved up for over a year to pay for it.

He didn't like the guest list, it wasn't "A list" enough for him. The gifts were disappointing (he said he didn't want "anything", and he spent the entire night drinking with his dysfunctional family, only to get up drunk and announce that he wanted to thank his mother for putting him through school. He said it angrily, and later told me it was a response to an argument he was having with his sister.

He never thanked me, or the other guests, or anyone who helped work on the party.

Just some thoughts. He and his family ruined weddings, our honeymoon, holidays, pretty much every major event in our lives.

Last week I had a small weekend getaway with the new man in my life (also recovering from a failed marriage with a spouse who has a pers d/o).

In one weekend, I felt as though I had more of a honeymoon with him than ANY time I had ever spent with my ex.  

I'm not writing this to discourage anyone, but just to put in my 2 cents. I know what it's like to try and make the person you love happy, to work hard and have so much anxiety, only to be let down because they live in a state of expectation and not appreciation.

So ask yourself this ... .are your expectations so unrealistic? And if they were met, would you be appreciative? I believe you all would be, just as I would, when I was married to my xhwBPD. I mean, you weren't expecting anything selfish, just to be able to give something meaningful to someone you love.

Think about it. Selfishness kills relationships.
dog_star

Relationship status: married

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »

thank you everyone.  it is much appreciated.

Did the fact that it is her birthday have anything to do with the rage? It is a common trigger

I do not know how much her birthday was a factor. she also was mad becouse I had attempted to get her to go to her T appointment the day before.  she did not go. sometimes I think I maybe on the wrong board.
startrekuser

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »

I remember my uBPD wife's first birthday after we were married.  I got her a painting easle b/c she's into art and painting.  She screamed at me b/c she said she was expecting something romantic like jewelry.  Buying her gifts hasn't been the same since them.  I always find it stressful.
takingandsending

Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »

Ditto, startrekuser. I have pretty well given up on ever getting her a present that satisfies her, and I get very panicked/anxious when I am on the spot to do it. Although occasionally, to be really fair, I have lucked into some that she actually felt appreciated. I should try to focus on those experiences, outnumbered as they are. For the longest time, I bought into the whole insensitivity thing, believed I was just somehow not seeing what was so obvious to her, but even I caught on after a decade of getting beat up for it. Kinda sucks.

Cat21

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 02:28:01 PM »

Yep. This year, my uBPDh and I had an arguement on his birthday. This was the first time he ruined the actual day. Thanksgiving, too. Literally on the walk to his sister's house, he was calling me horrible names and then proceeded to give me the silent treatment for the next few hours. I can hardly wait for this year.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest