Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 07:19:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I share possibility of BPD with his siblings?  (Read 407 times)
flowerpath

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« on: July 24, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »

The siblings of my husband know about his behavior, which I they interpret as simple anger/temper tantrums/choice.  Can someone give me advice on whether to/how to share the possibility of this being a mental illness with his siblings? 
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

flowerpath

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »

Excuse me - which I believe they interpret as anger/temper tantrums/choice
flowerpath

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »

I think I should have posted this on the sibling board.  Sorry!  Learning the ropes here.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:59:35 AM »

I think I should have posted this on the sibling board.  Sorry!  Learning the ropes here.

That is an interesting idea; I'd also be curious what the take would be on the Coping & Healing Board to such a thing... .

But, the idea of my ever talking to my Husband's siblings regarding his BPD traits (their Mom has full-blown BPD and is textbook High Functioning BPD) actually never entered my mind as the topic of the day (so to speak). I've spoken with my Sister-In-Law about her dealings with my Husband's oldest brother, and she doesn't see these traits in him. I've spoken with my 2 other Ss-I-L (my Husband's younger sisters) about their own BPD traits, and then as a side topic, my Husband's behaviors that are similar. All of these conversations, though, have come about in relation to their Mom and the torture she puts everyone through on a regular basis 

Now, as the topic of the day, I've spoken with my 4 younger sisters about my Husband's symptoms and behaviors, and we've all commiserated on subjects where we share the problems. We've listened to each other where the other Husband is worse with certain things, and congratulated where things are better. For one of us, or all of us  Being cool (click to insert in post)  We are a close-knit family (I'm the oldest of 6; just one brother), and we females have always been open and honest and sharing of our lives and experiences--good and bad. Only one sister knows that my Husband's--and hers--behaviors could be considered a mental illness, and that's because her Husband is way worse and I've given her the "Stop Walking on Eggshells" book that helped me so much, so we are on the same page in knowledge of the disorder.

I guess it all depends on the relationship you have with your Husband's siblings. And if what you say will be held in confidence if you have fears of him finding out about such a conversation and if he'd feel violated or betrayed in some way. I know that the stuff I've shared with my Ss-I-L and sisters will never be shared, so I'm free to be honest with all of them and pick their brains when I need advice, as they pick mine when they need it. Not sure any of this helps you out, but maybe the Coping & Healing Board will glean better fruit for you 

flowerpath

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »

Rapt Reader, that is helpful, and after giving it some thought, I think that talking with them about it would probably serve no purpose. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest