Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:06:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi... checking in  (Read 445 times)
Chosen

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

Hi family,

Some of you newer members may not know me because I haven't checked in for a long time.  Just thinking of you all today and thought I'd give you an update on myself.

Things have been great lately; uBPDh and I are not without ups and downs, but nowhere near the frequency & magnitude of the past.  Strong, abusive language and threatening actions are all but gone now.  I even have a little bit of space to act up/ forget to validate/ be a bit rude (not on purpose, of course) without having things completely blow up.  I can say I'm no longer walking on eggshells.

H is going through a bit of a tough time at work.  He's feeling insecure but he is less needy these days.  Still needs my validation, but doesn't sink into that downward spiral as much.  I still try to be aware of his needs and know when I need to just listen and validate- and sometimes I still fail, but at least I'm not living in fear of failing, because H may sometimes get disappointed that he doesn't have the validation he need, but he doesn't immediately attack back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, two years ago I didn't think this was possible.  I thought I would always need to live in fear and didn't know how I could continue.  Then I came here and it was steep learning curve.  I had to break out of my comfort zone, set boundaries to protect myself, and still things were moving slowly over the course of a year.  It took a full year before things were solidly looking up, and now we have a mostly "normal" marriage, something that was unimaginable to me before.

So hang in there if you're feeling a bit hopeless today.  Keep trying after you've given yourself a pat on the back (and a little break), and know that things do improve.  It's probably unfair why some relationship require so little work and ours require so much, but at the end of the day if there is any improvement at all, your efforts will be worth it.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »

Hi family,

Some of you newer members may not know me because I haven't checked in for a long time.  Just thinking of you all today and thought I'd give you an update on myself.

Things have been great lately; uBPDh and I are not without ups and downs, but nowhere near the frequency & magnitude of the past.  Strong, abusive language and threatening actions are all but gone now.  I even have a little bit of space to act up/ forget to validate/ be a bit rude (not on purpose, of course) without having things completely blow up.  I can say I'm no longer walking on eggshells.

H is going through a bit of a tough time at work.  He's feeling insecure but he is less needy these days.  Still needs my validation, but doesn't sink into that downward spiral as much.  I still try to be aware of his needs and know when I need to just listen and validate- and sometimes I still fail, but at least I'm not living in fear of failing, because H may sometimes get disappointed that he doesn't have the validation he need, but he doesn't immediately attack back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, two years ago I didn't think this was possible.  I thought I would always need to live in fear and didn't know how I could continue.  Then I came here and it was steep learning curve.  I had to break out of my comfort zone, set boundaries to protect myself, and still things were moving slowly over the course of a year.  It took a full year before things were solidly looking up, and now we have a mostly "normal" marriage, something that was unimaginable to me before.

So hang in there if you're feeling a bit hopeless today.  Keep trying after you've given yourself a pat on the back (and a little break), and know that things do improve.  It's probably unfair why some relationship require so little work and ours require so much, but at the end of the day if there is any improvement at all, your efforts will be worth it.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Thanks for the great update.  Hoping to follow down your path! 

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

Good to hear from you Chosen  . You've come a long way since the days of locking yourself in the bathroom... Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

This is the bit I got to when I felt like I was over the hump and you can take your feet off the gas pedal and take a few short cuts, and the sky doesn't fall around your ears like it used to. I guess H no longer feels intimidated and needs to put you in your place anymore by guilting you into the "bad wife" role.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »

Hello, Chosen.

I am so happy to hear that you are no longer walking on eggshells. And thanks so much for this encouragement.    I am in the throes of it right now, and just wondering how to look for improvement rather than live in fear. That you walked this path and have come out smiling means worlds to a lot of us.  Thank you from one still treading lightly.

Grey Kitty

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »

Chosen! I'm delighted to hear such good news from you!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Things are (fairly) up for me as well. My wife's recovery from BPD seems to be surviving a serious test right now. She is facing grief (lost a loved one last fall), and came down with severe depression and anxiety. For a while there, she was less functional than her uBPD ever made her. Now she's on some medication, and made some huge progress... .and hit somewhat of a plateau on this--it feels like she is half-way to normal/healthy.

The amazing part is that she is owning her own feelings and limits--not trying to transfer it all into being my fault, or all the other old BPD-ish tricks. Truly amazing!

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »

The amazing part is that she is owning her own feelings and limits--not trying to transfer it all into being my fault, or all the other old BPD-ish tricks. Truly amazing!

Once you can learn to reduce your part in uneccessary conflict it is amazing to see the defensiveness come down. If you can get to the state where you can openly discuss the real issues without blaming, that is validating for them, and helps your own acceptance levels tremendously

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
ziniztar

Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:54:14 AM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  that is wonderful to hear!

And thanks for your encouraging words, I hope to be able to do this some day. My bf is in good therapy so I got that going for me which is nice ( Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Being cool (click to insert in post)), but it also sometimes paints a picture that everything is normal. Relapsing then turns into a very painful activity as I didn't see it coming.

Thanks again and I wish you all the best  
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:23:09 AM »

Hi Chosen

Excellent Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Good things come to those who have the patience for perseverance. 

Yay!
Love Is Not Enough

Relationship status: Engaged and living together

Confidence is the gateway to hope

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

It took a full year before things were solidly looking up, and now we have a mostly "normal" marriage, something that was unimaginable to me before.

Thanks for the update!

Same here. I never believed my RS could ever function normally. It has been amazing to watch my gf transform into a more mentally stable person. I am glad I stuck it out.

I really like your closing comment. We all have to stop and appreciate our smallest achievements. They help us to make it through the tough days.

Keep up the good work!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Never to suffer would never to have been blessed ~ Edgar Allan Poe
ziniztar

Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »

I think Rapt Reader calls them TLC's, Tiny Little Changes  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post).
Love Is Not Enough

Relationship status: Engaged and living together

Confidence is the gateway to hope

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »

I think Rapt Reader calls them TLC's, Tiny Little Changes  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post).

You are correct. Thank you for reminding me of that!  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Never to suffer would never to have been blessed ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Chosen

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »

You've come a long way since the days of locking yourself in the bathroom...

Indeed, waverider.  No need to lock anything for a long time... .  Being cool (click to insert in post)  It feels good to have that freedom and to enjoy being with somebody!

And you know what, TLCs accumulate into big changes... .but then again, change starts with us.  I'm glad I stuck with it even when it didn't seem to work, because the work I have put into my relationship paid off.  It was a really steep learning curve and I'm still learning every day (aren't we all), but I believe I have gone through the toughest of times already.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest