Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extreme ways of adapting - do we all share this?  (Read 994 times)
an0ught
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »

Hi ziniztar,

you probably meant validating the valid (and ignoring the rest if it does not matter) which you did. We often deal in real life with a mixture of valid and invalid that is partly open to interpretation and the point of view we take. This gives us a lot of leeway how to respond. We can choose to respond to the invalid part and it is worth being aware that invalidation is a strong signal that turns our attention to it. We can also choose to respond to the valid part.

If he was gone for 20 days and perceived only two days as good (having possibly higher standards than you) then it is what it is. Not a great month. No point denying it. Which you did not and it was highly appreciated Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

He may be factually inaccurate but on the sentiment that you both did not have many excellent days and would like more great days you can agree. Admitting that things are not the best is a good basis for improvements.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

DreamFlyer99

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 30+ years

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »

So glad to have run across this topic--now I can put my Extreme Adaptor certificate up on the wall next to Extreme Enabler and Co-dependent.

Great discussion! And more food for thought.
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »

I have adapted in all sorts of extreme ways. I look back on some of the things that I have done and wonder, "Who the heck is that person? That certainly couldn't be me. I would never do those things in a million years." But, it was me and I did those things and I struggle with feelings of self loathing as a result.

DreamFlyer99

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »

Oh good ol' self-loathing... .been there, probably have a certificate for THAT I could put up on the wall with the others!

Vortex, so much of what happens to us in a relationship with a loved one with BPD ends up being traumatizing for us. I'm working too toward forgiving myself for not being true to who I am, for "not knowing." These relationships can make us "the frog in the kettle" where as the water is slowly turned up the frog just as slowly adapts, and before you know it, frog legs for dinner!

We are gaining knowledge here in the safety of the community, and we won't allow ourselves to be boiled slowly again, right? So as we move forward we will slowly forgive ourselves because of our new understanding. 
ziniztar

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »

So glad to have run across this topic--now I can put my Extreme Adaptor certificate up on the wall next to Extreme Enabler and Co-dependent.

Great discussion! And more food for thought.

You have quite the number of certificates up there don't you  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

And the frog in the kettle, such a good example. I think the frog should forgive itself for staying as there is not immediate threat right? So I agree with you Dreamflyer that we should work towards forgiving ourselves that we got into the situation. It's a good thing to learn to be kind to yourself. Whenever I hear myself talking badly to myself, I'd like to think of "what type of advice would I give to my best friends in this situation?" and then start talking in that way.

The adapting is something we do because we fear something, feel obligated or will feel guilt when we don't. It is important to examine what is exactly driving you to be able to change this. I fear distance, fear being alone or having to deal with things alone if I don't. The stupid thing is that I can perfectly be single and still feel okay doing lots of stuff on my own. I'm trying to incorporate those two people now - the happy single version and the relationship version. Hard work, but getting there.  
DreamFlyer99

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »

So great that you're headed that way, Ziniztar!

And yes, I am very Learn-ed in all the things that do not help one get along in life. 

You're right--the frog should definitely forgive itself. The frog thought it was simply having a nice spa day.

For quite a while I thought "what do I have to forgive mySELF for? I'm the injured party!" And then I started realizing all the things I was judging myself for not knowing/seeing/changing etc. And calling myself names, something I hated when my h did it.

Enlightening.

I wonder sometimes if what hangs us up on "who am I" of like you say, the happy single person or the relationship person is that we don't mind whichever one WE got to choose. Someone you're in r/s with choosing for you to be "single"? Not so fun.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest