Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 08:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: success after devaluation?  (Read 358 times)
Vexed

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Sperated 3 months

« on: August 02, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »

My exBPDgf broke up with me 2 months ago, dated 3 different guys in that time and never stopped contacting me.  The last 6 months of our 2 year rs was pretty bad as far as the devaluation and things she said to me. 

Recently she has been waffling about getting back together, finally I decided I didn't want her back after she said some horrible things to me when I refused to take her on vacation for her birthday.  I'm guessing she sensed this as 2 days later she called, which was bad timing for me as I began to calm down and answered her call.  She wants to start over, she said she's sorry (basically first time ever), she's opening up with real feelings (very rare), and saying all the right things.  My stance was I might be willing to try if she begins in depth therapy (she admits she has issues, but doesn't think she is BPD).

Now I was optimistic for a minute, but I can't get over the 3 guys in 2 months, and I don't trust her at all.  I actually did up until the day she broke up with me. 

My question is, I've been devalued, is it too for me even with therapy?  Is there any coming back from that stage, even if she got better with therapy?  Anyone have a similar story that can tell me the ending?

Thanks for reading and good luck.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:29:34 AM »

My exBPDgf broke up with me 2 months ago, dated 3 different guys in that time and never stopped contacting me.  The last 6 months of our 2 year rs was pretty bad as far as the devaluation and things she said to me. 

Recently she has been waffling about getting back together, finally I decided I didn't want her back after she said some horrible things to me when I refused to take her on vacation for her birthday.  I'm guessing she sensed this as 2 days later she called, which was bad timing for me as I began to calm down and answered her call.  She wants to start over, she said she's sorry (basically first time ever), she's opening up with real feelings (very rare), and saying all the right things.  My stance was I might be willing to try if she begins in depth therapy (she admits she has issues, but doesn't think she is BPD).

Now I was optimistic for a minute, but I can't get over the 3 guys in 2 months, and I don't trust her at all.  I actually did up until the day she broke up with me. 

My question is, I've been devalued, is it too for me even with therapy?  Is there any coming back from that stage, even if she got better with therapy?  Anyone have a similar story that can tell me the ending?

It's never too late!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

As you now understand... .there will be lots of challenges and nothing is guaranteed.  It sounds to me like that another way of saying you don't trust her... is that you now realize how big a deal this is... .and how big a hold the traits of this disorder have on her life.

It's good that you can talk about therapy and help for her.  Lots of people here never even get to that stage.

The place that I want you to put your hope and focus... .is YOU!  Because you can change you.  That will change the dynamic in the r/s.  And it is likely that those changes my help her to change as well.

What do you think your next step is?  Do you go to individual therapy?

Vexed

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »

The place that I want you to put your hope and focus... .is YOU!  Because you can change you.  That will change the dynamic in the r/s.  And it is likely that those changes my help her to change as well.

What do you think your next step is?  Do you go to individual therapy?

Yeah, I plan to continue to better myself, I know I need to improve my self esteem, and I from reading this forum I know if I can do that if I lose her again ill probably be able to see it as a positive.

My ultimatum for her was she starts therapy now, she has never been against it but has put it off with excuses, and I have been lax about telling her to go, as when times are good I'm not thinking about it and when times are bad telling her she needs therapy is just a recipe for enraging her.

So she's willing to go, and I need to go individually as well.  I'm wondering if we should do couples  sessions as well?

I now realize there is a 0%, of this working out without therapy.  Until recently I thought she wasn't half as bad as some of the stories on here.  But I've lost almost all hope and this is my last shot/resort.   I don't know what the chances are with therapy, probably slim, and I don't know if she will actually try or just show up and play might games, but I'm willing to give it one last go.

I feel she has gotten worse and has some new bad habits (promiscuity), while my boundaries have tightened. So I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.  Thanks for the support.
bruceli

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

The greater the challenge the greater the pull.  Even if it's all true and she goes to treatment and stays with it.  Are you willing to go through the long time it takes to do so.  Perhaps years?
Vexed

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »

The greater the challenge the greater the pull.  Even if it's all true and she goes to treatment and stays with it.  Are you willing to go through the long time it takes to do so.  Perhaps years?

Yes.  I can say I was, 100%.  Am I still? Im not sure yet, and absolutely not if she breaks up with me again.  I'm not going to let her penetrate my wall again for a long time.  But I think the question is will she be able to stick it out until (if) she gets better since I have been devalued, sure I'm white now, but I'm guessing I will be turned black sooner and much easier now.  I don't know if I can deal with the idea of her having sex with other men during our breakup now, but i certainly won't if it happens again.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest