Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 01:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Constantly testing me on his freedom in the relationship  (Read 466 times)
ziniztar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »

It's only until today that I've realized this: my dBPDbf is constantly testing his freedom in the relationship. When he's out he'll ask me things like:

- until when is it acceptable for you to wait?

- until what time am I welcome? (please note the annoying question as me giving a time also entails he is no longer welcome at a certain time in the evening )

It drives me NUTS as I don't want to be the parent and tell him at what time he has to be in. But everytime I express him my desire, need, wish, whatever, he'll act like a small child that doesn't get his way. He makes me feel I am keeping him in on a Saturday night and act all victimlike. When he asks me what time to get home after work and I say 'just come home after, I wouldn't really like it if you would go alone to that party' he will answer very ressentfully 'yeah I already figured that and will come home immediately'. Please bear in mind I've offered him to go to his work and go to the party together - so it's NOT the party I'm withholding him. It's a very self-destructive mode and no answer from my side will be good.

Anyone any thoughts on boundaries I could create on these? When he acts like this it makes me feel very

- undesirable, he will always place other people, things and activities above spending time with me

- parentified, as If I'm the grown up having to make his decisions, I hate it
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »

It's only until today that I've realized this: my dBPDbf is constantly testing his freedom in the relationship. When he's out he'll ask me things like:

- until when is it acceptable for you to wait?

- until what time am I welcome? (please note the annoying question as me giving a time also entails he is no longer welcome at a certain time in the evening )

It drives me NUTS as I don't want to be the parent and tell him at what time he has to be in. But everytime I express him my desire, need, wish, whatever, he'll act like a small child that doesn't get his way. He makes me feel I am keeping him in on a Saturday night and act all victimlike. When he asks me what time to get home after work and I say 'just come home after, I wouldn't really like it if you would go alone to that party' he will answer very ressentfully 'yeah I already figured that and will come home immediately'. Please bear in mind I've offered him to go to his work and go to the party together - so it's NOT the party I'm withholding him. It's a very self-destructive mode and no answer from my side will be good.

Anyone any thoughts on boundaries I could create on these? When he acts like this it makes me feel very

- undesirable, he will always place other people, things and activities above spending time with me

- parentified, as If I'm the grown up having to make his decisions, I hate it

Hi ziniztar,

I wonder if he's testing your boundaries, not so much his freedom Smiling (click to insert in post)

Something that might help for him to receive what you're saying easier is to keep it neutral, so maybe switch it around by saying, "I'm not sure, hmmm... The party starts at 7:30, so... .  How long do you think it will take for us to get there?  Maybe if we leave by 6:45"?

Stay away from the landmines   Telling him in so many words that he's already thinking about not going together, puts the thought in his mind that maybe it's not such a bad idea

Be confident and believe in yourself and him!
Cat21

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

Hi ziniztar,

I wonder if he's testing your boundaries, not so much his freedom Smiling (click to insert in post)

I've dealt with this issue as well, Ziniztar, and Phoebe- that makes sense to me! I hadn't thought about him testing my boundaries until very recently. My uBPDh rarely goes out with his friends anymore because he insists that I won't let him. This is not true; most of the time, I don't even know he's been invited to do something social. He uses me as a scapegoat. In fact, a few weeks ago, a friend of his told me that they (some of his friends) think I have him on a short leash because he never goes out anymore. I took the opportunity to set the record straight- in front of my husband. Whenever my H is invited out to do something social, he always asks for my "permission". It drives me nuts, too! In addition, when I go out with my friends on my own, he'll say something like "Have an awesome time and don't worry about being home too early! You deserve to have a good time. I just wish you gave me the same respect when I'm out with my friends". *Bang head against wall*

ziniztar

Relationship status: I chose to end the r/s end of October 2014. He cheated and pushed every button he could to push me away until I had to leave.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »

Cat21, I'm rereading this post and remember I had to laugh a lot when I read your *bang head against the wall*. I can really relate to the feeling. Sometimes it can be funnyish, mostly it's not.

123Phoebe, thanks for that insight. I think I'm doing better already, although I have to add his testing has ended for now. I know it will probably return but hey, we'll see when we get there.

Got a 2nd T session today and heard it will be covered by insurance for the first few sessions - yay. Makes me feel very calm in my head Smiling (click to insert in post).
pallavirajsinghani
Distinguished Member

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Married TDH-with high cheekbones that can cut butter.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »

Well, how about this:

Him:  "I am going out with friends.  Until what time can I stay out?"

You:  "Honey, you are an adult.  You do whatever you want to.  It is my responsibility to handle my own emotions and my own reaction to your decisions."

To me this defines adulthood and mutual responsibility.  Neither of you is now being put in the potential role of a parent-child/victim-victimiser/controlled-controller/abused-abuser.

Both are responsible for their own decisions, actions and feelings.   

Easier said than done... .however thought process similar to this is a good beginning I think, towards a mutually satisfying relationship.

Humanity is a stream my friend, and each of us individual drops.  How can you then distinguish one from the other?
ziniztar

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:09:11 AM »

Okay... I can see that working and I understand the process. However, in a healthy relationship people also listen to each other's needs right? How does that fit into the mix? In this particular example he had been gone for over a week and I really wanted a quiet night together before diving into another workweek.

I should just let him do what he wants and hope for him to spend time with me?

And if that's not enough, end the r/s?
hergestridge

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:45 AM »

These days I post on the leaving board, but I just thought I'd chime in, because this rings a bell. Every time my wife would be going out with friends (or rather with her work) she couldn't stop talking about how difficult it was going to be for her to come home early, how impossible it was going to be find a cab and how she was possibly be going to have to spend the night somewhere. She was talking about this weeks in advance. She was talking about this as if I had asked her to come home early, which I had not.

It always ended with me losing my patience and telling her that she could come home any f*king time she wants, to which her standard reply was that it all was "beyond her control". Due to social norms she was expected to go to the party and for practical reasons she had to come home late or possibly the next day! It was like a fixation which she insisted on discussing.

In hindsight I think she was trying to make room for anything that could happen. If the party would be fun she wanted to stay the night and if it was boring she wanted to come home early. She was seriously fixated with the "having fun" (an almost mythlogical state in her world), and in case that "fun" would occur she would not let anything get in her way, definately not something as boring as family, considering her psychiatric medication, her relationship or her health.

Sometimes I tried to argue with her. That I basically never drink and I always come home early in consideration to her. Nothing in the world made her more angry, and when I said that she always resonded that I ":)idn't want her to have fun".

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest