Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 06:59:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black/White Thinking ... An Analogy With America's Got Talent  (Read 367 times)
maryy16

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 10, 2014, 01:35:52 AM »

I know my H has always had the black/white thinking about people, but it really hit me as how distorted his thinking is while watching America's Got Talent with him. We watch the show together every week.

There is one particular act on the show that my H really liked.  The first two performances were really good and my H said very complimentary things about the act. (White thinking).

Well, the third performance by this act was not quite up to par... .not bad at all, just not as good.  While i said " yea, that wasn't her best, but she's still really really good", my H's comment now was "She sucks!" And when the act was voted through to continue on to the next round, his comment was "She doesn't deserve to go on. She's no good" (Black thinking)

It really hit me then that he CANNOT and is truly UNABLE to see that good people can have an off day.  He cannot understand that just because somebody makes a mistake or messes up, that they are not bad people.  I used to think that his black/white thinking of people was due to the fact that he takes everything personally, but the girl on AGT has nothing to do with him.  His thinking is more distorted than I thought. 

I'm not really looking or advice because I know this is part of the condition, but while I actually do understand his feelings a little bit better, it makes me sad because I realized just how difficult BPD is to treat because of their oh so very distorted thinking about everything.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »

Thanks for posting this!

Is there a chance that your H was simply having an off day, too?  Or that he's free to have any opinion he wants on any given day and it doesn't have to mean much of anything?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or dismissing your analogy, these are the types of questions I have to seriously ask myself.  Am I being judgmental about this?  

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, while someone else might disagree... .

Well, I hope the girl nails it next time around Smiling (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest