Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 02:52:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens after the rage if I don't respond?  (Read 385 times)
cookiedough21

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 12, 2014, 05:23:23 PM »

I hope this is the correct forum.

After 7 years of attempting to "co-parent" with my BPD exwife I stopped. About a year ago I set up very firm boundaries. I do not text or call her or answer her texts or phone calls. I only communicate through Our Family Wizard. I have been "low contact" for that year as well. I will only send a message if I have to per our court order. Recently I had to email information as our order stated. I had not emailed my ex anything other than very short replies for the last 4 or 5 months. Things like, "I cannot switch weekends."

Since I have set my boundaries I have had fewer and fewer rage episodes from her. This email, however, sparked something. I woke up the next day to about 10 long, nasty, ranting manifestos accusing me of everything under the sun. Of course I want to respond to all the false allegations but I know that will only bring more rage and anger my way and will not accomplish anything. I have decided I will not respond since the emails are all about her feelings and her anger.

I have never not responded when she rages like this before. (I was a slower learner.) If I do respond she will escalate and I will have her screaming in front of my house or yelling at the next exchange. I have been through this many, many times.

My worry is that if I don't respond she won't get her "release" of emotions and she will take it out on my son. Does anyone have experience with this? What happens to the rage if it goes unacknowledged?
Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »

My worry is that if I don't respond she won't get her "release" of emotions and she will take it out on my son. Does anyone have experience with this? What happens to the rage if it goes unacknowledged?

Good for you for setting your boundaries and sticking to them! It's unfortunately impossible to know what actually set her off, so it's equally as impossible to know what will happen next. I'm the step mom of two kids with a BPD mom. In my case, not reacting to rages goes one of two ways: 1) It's something that's actually bothering her or is somehow related to something that is actually bothering her and so it'll just get brought up again. Usually in an equally nasty way. Or 2) The blow up has nothing to actually do with us (since there is so little communication this is the more likely scenario in my case) and she just pulled a bunch of old rage out of where ever inside herself and starts flinging accusations. Fight with a boyfriend? Then my DH is a useless uninvolved father. Problems at work? Then my DH doesn't send child support quick enough and should know the children need things. Nothing has anything to do with the other, but she needs to take her feelings out on someone.

If you are unavailable then it'll be someone else. That means family members, children, and friends. But at least in my case, I don't think that my DH making himself an available target has ever helped the kids. She will take things out on them if they are available. But by not engaging he saves himself a lot of grief and the kids might hear "Your father doesn't even care." Which is something they know isn't true. But what they don't hear is, "Your father said awful things to me that I'm going to tell my lawyer!" Which we know is something they've had to hear when she's managed to force confrontations.
david

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:55 AM »

I stopped replying to rages a few years ago. My main fear was she would take it out on our two boys. I don't know what happened but our boys didn't say anything different or new. It took ex quite some time to lessen her attacks towards me. I still get some but nowhere near the amount as before.

We just finished up a custody eval and she had mini rages there which was very helpful for the kids and me. My ex left in 2007 so I figure I will always be a trigger.

Matt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

Yeah, I agree - the way you are communicating with her is excellent.  (This board is called "co-parenting" but if your ex has BPD co-parenting probably isn't the best model.  Most of us find "parallel parenting" to work better - pretty much what you're doing.)

I also think you're right not to respond to her raging e-mail point-for-point - engaging will just feed her rage and drag you down into the mud.

If there is an authoritative third party involved, like a parenting coach, mediator, or guardian ad litem, I would probably copy the e-mail to that person, without comment, just to let them know what is happening, so they could take whatever action they thought appropriate.

And if you find yourself back in court for any reason, like if you decide to ask for a change of custody, that e-mail should be Exhibit 1.

Is your child in counseling at all?  The reason I ask is that someone who sends crazy e-mails like that might be doing who-knows-what when the child is around her, and a good counselor can hkeaelp a child figure out how to deal with a difficult parent.

Also, make sure you are listening very carefully if your child talks about her mom;  you don't want to pry into all that goes on at Mom's house but if the child talks about it at all make sure she knows you are listening to her and that she can tell you (and the counselor) anything that happens.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest