Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 08:32:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article about the characteristics of healthy relationships  (Read 353 times)
Pingo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Separated

« on: August 10, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »

Excerpt
Characteristics of a Healthy Intimate Relationship

The goal in an intimate relationship is to feel calm, centered and focused. The intimacy needs to be safe, supportive, respectful, nonpunitive and peaceful. You feel taken care of, wanted, unconditionally accepted and loved just for existing and being alive in a healthy intimate relationship. You feel part of something and not alone in such a relationship. You experience forgiving and being forgiven with little revenge or reminding of past offenses. You find yourself giving thanks for just being alive in this relationship. A healthy intimate relationship has a sense of directedness with plan and order. You experience being free to be who you are rather than who you think you need to be for the other. This relationship makes you free from the "paralysis of analysis" needing to analyze every minute detail of what goes on in it. An intimate relationship has its priorities in order, with people's feelings and process of the relationship coming before things and money. A healthy intimate relationship encourages your personal growth and supports your individuality. This relationship does not result in you or your relationship partner becoming emotionally, physically or intellectually dependent on one another. An intimate relationship encourages the spiritual growth of both relationship partners ~ James J Messina, PhD

www.livestrong.com/article/14688-establishing-healthy-boundaries-in-relationships/

Excerpt
So, considering that boundaries have a core purpose in civilization, an individual’s lack of personal, psychological boundaries isn’t really a true lack—at least, it’s not a lack in the philosophical sense of something “missing.” Instead, this apparent lack is really a refusal to defend one’s own dignity. And it’s a refusal based on hatred. That’s right. Hatred: a hatred of the self that results from living always in fear because of having been abused as a child. Unable to make sense of senseless abuse, a child, using the full effort of imperfect childhood logic, arrives at the only “logical” conclusion: “It must be my fault. I’m just a worthless person. I deserve condemnation.” And there you have it: self-hatred engendered by fear that is engendered by abuse.

Now, if you didn’t hate yourself, you would be able to take proper care of yourself—and that includes having healthy boundaries to protect your dignity. And if you had healthy boundaries to protect your dignity, you could, like in the example of the oxygen mask, take proper care of others. And taking proper care of others is an aspect of love.

To re-establish healthy boundaries, then, endeavor to stop refusing to defend boundaries. You can do this simply by starting to refuse to hate—and that includes refusing to hate yourself. ~ Raymond Lloyd Richmond, Ph.D.

www.guidetopsychology.com/boundaries.htm

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this quote is from, which book?  It is like foreign to me, I have never had a healthy intimate relationship, I don't even know how to.  Reading through this thread was very helpful, I made a list of my core values and realised that my uBPDex has none of these core values.  We had much in common as far as interests but I think one major problem was the lack of similar values.  Yet early on in our relationship I thought he did have the same core values.  Either I was projecting or he was mirroring, probably both.  
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

DreamFlyer99

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 30+ years

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »

We do have a really good article here that when I read it I saw just how far off my own marriage had gotten from the ideal. Here's the link:

Article 15: The Characteristics of Healthy Relationships

I hope this helps!  
Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »

Thanks you so much for this DreamFlyer99, reading through this article makes me see how many unhealthy traits I have as well.  So much to work on!  I'm going to print out that quote that I was trying to find the source from and tape it to my mirror so I can read it every morning.  I don't want to ever have my eyes closed again!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest