Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:17:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't understand  (Read 1354 times)
vortex of confusion

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »

I read your thread and wanted to send you a virtual hug. I just discovered this forum and have been reading, reading, reading. I would recommend reading as much as you can on this site. The Lessons have lots of stuff that could be helpful. As I read through stuff, I am getting a lot of light bulbs. I am also having a lot of sick feelings because it is making me see my own role in the dysfunctional dance.

I also want to offer words of support about the confused sexuality. My spouse of 16 years decided that he was bisexual. I am not going to go into details but I am the one that arranged the experimentation. I thought that maybe, just maybe, he would be happier if he was able to do some experimentation. He now says that he isn't gay or bisexual.

Somewhere on these forums somebody pointed out that for them, feeling equals fact. If he wants to have kids with you in that moment, then he states it as a fact. If he changes his mind ten minutes later, than the facts change. That has been the most difficult thing for me navigate. How can he say one thing one minute and then say or do the total opposite ten minutes later? It is rough.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:10 PM »

Somewhere on these forums somebody pointed out that for them, feeling equals fact. If he wants to have kids with you in that moment, then he states it as a fact. If he changes his mind ten minutes later, than the facts change. That has been the most difficult thing for me navigate. How can he say one thing one minute and then say or do the total opposite ten minutes later? It is rough.

Learning to deal with the idea that a stated "fact" is indeed not actually a lie but merely a transient fact, that may not stay true is difficult to accept, but you need to. It is easier to think of then am as delusional or misguided rather than outright lying.

Learning not to make many important decisions on these "facts", but likewise you also have to stop being eternally suspicious, and just take everything as interesting otherwise you drive yourself nuts

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
jchart

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »

Thank you maybeso that really put things into perspective but what do I do now in this particular bump? We had the incident and I shoved him. He has no put all of his emotional pain on that moment and is going to extremes about it. Granted violence of any sort is not the answer to any problems and I've accounted for snapping against all of the accusations and name calling but what now? He claims he is leaving but is still here. Claims he is going to take my son from me. Part of me wants to run knowing this is the BPD talking but he won't see it. When it happened and after I told him about BPD and he listened and said I was pinpointing some very valid things about himself but then an hour later he flipped again and said no way. Everyone else needs to get help. So I don't know where to go from here with him and to get past this.
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »

I think the lesson here is about how provocative this r/s is for both of you.

you can't control him, only yourself. stop engaging in trying to fix something. Focus on here and now things you need to do to stay out of engagement with him.

He is upset b/c you reacted and physically pushed him. My attitude would be that I should not have pushed him and I would extend an apology. as for all the threats... .him leaving, calling police, etc. I would just let him know that I understand he is upset ... .it makes sense that he would be upset.  But do not argue about his threats.  No justifying arguing defending ...  less is more. Less talk is always preferable ... .esp. when things are heated. He hasn't acted on his threats so just drop it... .you can't control him anyway.

Have you spoke to your therapist about what happened. You should have a safety plan in place. A plan about how to disengage and leave even of temporarily.

Please do your best to stop engaging with his dysregulated states... .this is how things often to get out of control and people get hurt

talk to your therapist ASAP.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest