Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:27:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do they all compare you to other people  (Read 395 times)
workinprogress

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 23, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »

One thing that I used to get drawn into with my wife, was her constantly comparing me to other guys.

She would say things like, "he's a doctor, he must make so much money."

"He is tall.  He is funny."

I always felt myself cringe at these statements.  Primarily because she never gave me any compliments at all. 

One other thing about the money comparisons that bothered me was one day, she and one of her friends told my kids that they should marry for money.

Do you all receive similar treatment?
hurting300

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:52 AM »

Yes my ex girlfriend did it to me all the time. She made very inappropriate comments. So i started doing it and she hated me for it.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
Caramel

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »

Hi workinprogress

Yes, my BPD/NPD ex did that to me all the time. And made it look I was weak and jealous if I said anything.

He  compared me with his female friends and ex's.

"She is an excellent cook. She is very smart. She is so hot. She is so cool to hang out with. She is very kind. She is great dancer, etc etc."

When I started going out with him I was very confident. By the end of our relationship I did not know who I was anymore. Just a shadow of my former self. I was constantly trying to catch up with his standards, to be as good as all those other people.

Now I know that was his way of gaining control over me, to hide his feelings of unworthiness by highlighting my insecurities. Brainwashing, manipulating, comparing, accusing, blaming to overcome his fear of abandonment.

When he left me 6 months ago, I was left with zero self confidence. It took me a while to gain my confidence back and see the abuse I endured in that relationship. Don't believe whatever they say to you. Don't let her or anyone else define you. If they are not happy with who you are, they can leave. If they are still hanging around and giving you crap, chances are the problem is with them not you. Healthy people do not walk around making others doubt themselves.

YOU ARE GOOD. YOU ARE GOOD. YOU ARE GOOD.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
Forestaken

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »

My Xw did it.  The worse was that she compare her lifestyle to her sister-in-law (her brother's wife).  Both her brother and his wife worked as lawyers.  I am in IT, she didn't work in or out of the home. 
Chasing_Ghosts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »

Yes my BPDex would constantly say "why cant you be more like ex" or "ex used to be this way why cant you be." She even had her exs and hers supposed failed wedding date on her ring finger while he had her name and face tattooed on him. Would always bring it up as some subtle slight to me. My point being they always wanna keep us on our toes so were ever vigilant to serve their needs. I also believe they hold on to certain good attributes in every ex(as they live through memories and the past) and want to project those onto us... When we dont meet those standards they throw these statements at us. Right after our last recent breakup mine said "if you keep pushing youre gonna blow it like ex"... its endless just like the pain they both cause and feel.
Zon

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »

Most definitely.  I am compared to the best qualities of my brothers and cousins.  Hard to compete with a conglomerate of perfection.

I'm not like other people, I can't stand pain, it hurts me.  -- Daffy Duck
elessar

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »

rather than compare directly, she would always try to make small comments as to why can i not be this or that, or do this or that. it is very slow way of destroying your self-esteem, this constant nit-picking. as if I am not good enough for her. well maybe thats why she left so many times  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
enlighten me

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »

Both exs did this.

Everything from he used to get me a rose every week, he was one of the richest men in Britain, he was a racing driver and the only person I felt safe being driven by, He was so well endowed that it was uncomfortable, he was so talented (musically or artisticly). You name it they where all better than me in some way.

I don't know if this was to belittle me and put me in my place or to make me jealous and try harder.

Whatever their reasons behind it all it did was P me off and made me want to do my own thing and not be compared to anyone.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest