Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 16, 2024, 11:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Put down a boundary... Feeling wierd  (Read 553 times)
Aussie JJ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »

OK!,

I put in place a boundary that I have discussed with my P for ages and tried in different forms however today followed through.  (claps please)

Medical, I followed through, ignored her attempts to distance me from appointments, attended and then highlighted a history to the doctor of advice not being followed.  When she tried to correct me I simply stated, that is untrue, I'm sorry you feel that way.  Blank stare, void of emotions.  Boundary in place. 

Now awaiting the kickback.  Feeling strangely empowered yet very scared, the backlash is always massive with these things from her. 

AJJ. 
catclaw

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:16:02 AM »

Wow, that sounds really good! Congrats on this one!   

I hope the response won't be too extreme... .We all know that a sh**storm will follow, but try to focus on your success right now. You have all right to feel empowered!

That medical appointment-thing is one we have yet to come. Would you keep us informed?

Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »

Great job! (applause from the peanut gallery!) Probably feels a little weird because you're a little out of your comfort zone.  Keep doing what you're doing.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Aussie JJ

Relationship status: apart 18 months, 12 months push pull 6 months seperated properly, 4 months k own about BPD

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:12:18 AM »

It is so disappointing actually that I am proud of this, shows how much power she still has over me... .

Oh well!
Panda39

Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:07:13 AM »

AussieJJ,

Be proud not disappointed.  You are learning new skills and implementing them, you are growing and moving forward, you are asserting yourself and in a BPD relationship that is not an easy thing. You are reclaiming your power.  By setting a boundary you show that she doesn't have complete control over you! 

I'll say again keep doing what you're doing  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Each little step, each new thing you learn, and each new thing you act on are most definitely things to be proud of.  You're doing great  Smiling (click to insert in post)

catclaw

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »

AussieJJ,

Be proud not disappointed.  You are learning new skills and implementing them, you are growing and moving forward, you are asserting yourself and in a BPD relationship that is not an easy thing. You are reclaiming your power.  By setting a boundary you show that she doesn't have complete control over you! 

I'll say again keep doing what you're doing  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Each little step, each new thing you learn, and each new thing you act on are most definitely things to be proud of.  You're doing great  Smiling (click to insert in post)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have EVERY RIGHT to be proud of yourself! It's a process... .You did one step to the right direction.

Heartandsole

Relationship status: Living Apart planning to divorce

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

Visualize yourself as a naked tortoise and she is a fire breathing dragon.  Each boundary you communicate and enforce gives you one tile for your shell... .  soon you will have Armour to duck inside where there is peace and control and a respite from the verbal onslaught and jabs with her sharp tongue.

Congrats AussieJJ!

Here is what I imagine she's thinking:  What was that... .oh sh!t he has spontaneously generated a backbone overnight, I am loosing control   this is a huge  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) for me, I better bring my   out and   on him and put him back in his place.

!

Stay strong brother.  Build your shell strong, it will serve you well.   

Peace and 

-H&S
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »

Visualize yourself as a naked tortoise and she is a fire breathing dragon.  Each boundary you communicate and enforce gives you one tile for your shell... .  soon you will have Armour to duck inside where there is peace and control and a respite from the verbal onslaught and jabs with her sharp tongue.

I really like this  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Congrats AussieJJ! Keep at it. Soon enough it will feel second nature. The first step is always the hardest.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Lmls

Relationship status: Living apart for 17 months

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:44:40 AM »

Hi Aussie JJ,

Just wanted to say as somebody who has taught mindfulness, that your description of the appointment sounds like you were really grounded. Keep focusing on the positive feeling you gained from the behaviour and are now experiencing, and touch where in your body you feel it.

Hope this helps.

Aussie JJ

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 05:12:39 AM »

Thanks all,

I have noticed with a few posts aome things that really resonate with me.  In regards to the mindfulness, it is helping immensly, I actually felt myself getting angry when the doctor was confirming it was a phone appointment, I controlled it ook a breath and stayed as nuteral as I could be.  I have to be careful of this as I can now feel it happening, a good thing and working through that helps me a huge amount. 

about the escalation!  It has happened in two forms, sullen sulky look of death when our son has said, "I had a good day daddy" etc lately.  I have been making sure I am totally focusing on him and ignoring everything else when with him.  Over the last 2-3 months these and many small things are really paying off, I can see my relationship with him is alot better than it ever would have been if I hadn't gone through all of this.  Sounds weird however I know its true. 

On the other extreme she has started very very subtly flaunting her replacement infront of me, letting me know he is in the car with a happy mood etc and being all cheerful.  This has really set off my triggers but using my mantra of I can always walk away I have taken the power out of this as well.  She was really happy the other day, I apologised and said I had plans had to go.  She asked what looking confused, I picked up a packed bag and said, going camping, bye.  Walked off, into the car and off I went.  In truth I wasn't going camping however I have things like this planed so that I can make like I am doing something and walk away.  Sort of pathetic but gives me the power to walk away. 

Anyway, I thought an update was in order!
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »

I have noticed with a few posts aome things that really resonate with me.  In regards to the mindfulness, it is helping immensly,

I'm happy to hear mindfullness is working for you  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Over the last 2-3 months these and many small things are really paying off, I can see my relationship with him is alot better than it ever would have been if I hadn't gone through all of this.  Sounds weird however I know its true.

That is the truth. Keep at it with your son and be consistent.

On the other extreme she has started very very subtly flaunting her replacement infront of me, letting me know he is in the car with a happy mood etc and being all cheerful.

My ex did the same and flaunted bf and would smile directly at me. She's back to her emotional baseline of happiness and it hurts like hell to see this when we are knee deep in pain. I'm so sorry. You know that the exterior is different than what happens behind closed doors. More than meets the eye.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Aussie JJ

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:50 AM »

I am sort of at the stage of still wanting to help her however accepting that I can only control my actions. 

Really happy so far with the solicitor, he has predicted her escalations so far and he keeps saying "I accept it will happen, don't worry, its predictable." 

Basically boundary's in place and learning how to enforce them.  Still have anxiety however understand it now and naming and shaming my own emotions with worry and doubt and knowing I cant control her is awesome. 

Really big couple of weeks for me in that respect. 
Panda39

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »

Basically boundary's in place and learning how to enforce them.  Still have anxiety however understand it now and naming and shaming my own emotions with worry and doubt and knowing I cant control her is awesome. 

Really big couple of weeks for me in that respect. 

Good for you  Smiling (click to insert in post) Keep walking out of that FOG!  I know it's not always an easy thing to do but you sound like you're doing great... .just one foot in front of the other  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Lmls

Relationship status: Living apart for 17 months

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »

Aussie JJ,

I just read your earlier post and something came to mind. it was a Mindfulness quote that says something along the lines of "Between reaction and response is a gap. Within that gap is your power"

I think you are working this out naturally and intuitively for yourself. Keep, trusting your own instincts.

If you are struggling with shame try reading Beren Brown, Daring Greatly. She also did a TED talk, available on YouTube on subject on shame and vulnerability.

Hope the next couple of weeks go well for you Aussie JJ.

DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

"Between reaction and response is a gap. Within that gap is your power"

I really, really like this idea.

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

Aussie JJ

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »

Hi all,

Update on this, I have sort of got this one down.  (frightening really) and I am met with the death stare and a few others im implementing boundary's on is really really like wow, I can do this. 

Essentially, I have told her what it is (J_DE'ed it) Not argued but Justified my position, defended it and explained it to her.  Now I am just following through.  She went so cold hard death onh me the other day when I was already waiting in the doctors office.  Just said, what are you doing here.  I responded, "enforcing my boundary where I wont allow myself to be isolated from medical decisions about our son, how are you going today?"

Some of the other stuff about redirection and what not is really helping me here to essentially end the conversation's when they do happen.  I have read a lot on narcissism (to deal with some of my mums tendencies *SIGH*) and I am also using those techniques with exBPDgf.  Similar to the FOG (Fear Obligation Guilt), fogging a conversation is where you sort of don't commit or run from a concept just be vague with the person.  I have done the, I will have to think about that, sounds interesting let me go through it and get back to you, I can understand I'll have to read up a bit more on this issue.   All of these things when my boundary's are getting pushed.  I then follow through on the boundary enforce it and ignore the reaction, I had her tell me the other day that we had discussed this and agreed that XYZ was better.  I replied, no I said I would think about it and get back to you, I have thought about it, I am sticking to my boundary as that is in son's best interests. 

She just looked at me like death.  The fact that I am giving her no validation is very good as there are no misconceptions when she does something like this.  Then when she sees me basically just keep my boundary's in place it causes a huge amount of stress for her.  I hate that, not very strong on that hate word but I do hate causing that pain.  I can see it however I am as gentle as I can be with these things and use redirecting the conversation to stay away from emotional topics etc to avoid this pain for her.  I don't think she sees how hard it is for me to do this or recognises it. 

This mindfulness stuff is powerful when you get better at implementing it, should be taught in schools etc IMO.  With the quotes, there was one in a Buddhist book I read that went, sort of like.  If I place a hot stone in your hand and it burns you can be angry at me when I do that.  If your angry at me in a day, a week or a year that is your problem not mine. 

I am angry however accept it, forgive her for it and move on.  Very powerful not being angry, even more powerful forgiving and just being. 
Moselle

Relationship status: Divorced

Every day is a gift. Live it fully

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »

Congratulations AussieJJ.

I recognise the emotion and pain about where you are.

Just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done on the boundary. Also on your compassion for her pain.

Mine is on a 4 day silent treatment because I defended a boundary. So I recognise the backlash you describe as well.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest