Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 07:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything you say can be hurtful to BPDp  (Read 466 times)
startrekuser

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: September 03, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »

Does anybody else find that when discussing a relationship issue with a BPD that everything you say is hurtful?  With my wife, if I don't add "loving" statements to everything I say, she feels hurt.  Everything is spun into me being hurtful.  She tells me that if only I had approached the issue <her way> she would have felt so wonderful and loving towards me.  Her way is always so expressive and something I never would have thought of in a millions years.  I'm not a very expressive man, even for a man, so I feel like she's expecting something from me that is not me.  It sounds more like something a woman would say.  Of course, if I don't say things the way she expected to, she is hurt and says "why didn't you say it this way"?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:02:27 AM »

Does anybody else find that when discussing a relationship issue with a BPD that everything you say is hurtful?  With my wife, if I don't add "loving" statements to everything I say, she feels hurt.  Everything is spun into me being hurtful.  She tells me that if only I had approached the issue <her way> she would have felt so wonderful and loving towards me.  Her way is always so expressive and something I never would have thought of in a millions years.  I'm not a very expressive man, even for a man, so I feel like she's expecting something from me that is not me.  It sounds more like something a woman would say.  Of course, if I don't say things the way she expected to, she is hurt and says "why didn't you say it this way"?

Have you read the lessons on communication?

Instead of "adding" loving statements to what you say... .what would be a different way of approaching the communication?

Hint:  You have already pointed out that this might not be "natural" for you... .

AnnaK

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »

I also used to feel my bf is requesting way too much from me, but often after some time I am becoming more willing to adjust. Similar requests. Take a timeout and consider it - including some partial compromise - initially without any specific intention to change, like in a research mood. It includes doing the googling and the relevant readings.

After all, if it indeed makes her feel better, why not give in an inch?
DreamFlyer99

Relationship status: married 30+ years

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

Startrekuser,

I too found it true that I couldn't really say stuff "right." I think so much of that comes from a pwBPD feeling constantly "unheard." (whether or not that's true.) That's where the communication tools come in handy, like the SET one-- support, empathize, truth. It softens and makes palatable the way we speak to someone run by a constant fear of abandonment.

I do find that sometimes it doesn't make a difference how I say things, that's also dependent on my husband's mood, like with anybody on a bad day. Overall though we can make a difference.

When she asks you "why didn't you say it this way?" what are the basic points she's making in what she says? Is it kindness, being heard, or what seems to be the theme?
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »

I had this drama early in my RS, it was before I knew anything about BPD.

Focusing on accepting others as individuals who express ourselves differently is a better way to live than saying what is deemed "appropriate" and hence never being really sure how real that expression may be at any given time. Using this principle my partner now accepts me as being less expressive.

Of course it helps to learn to phrase things more expressively. It is making the effort that is more important than anything, the previous point is about not allowing the benchmark to be moved, and taking some pressure off you.

Being constantly "hurt' can also become a means of guilting you, so at the end of the day as long as you are doing your best it is not completely all your problem

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
MissyM

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »

I understand how hard it is to communicate with a BPD.  I am really practicing Radical Acceptance that I do have to communicate differently.  The way I communicate works with the other people in my life but doesn't work for my dBPDh.  for a long time I was stuck in how unfair this was.  The truth is it is unfair but that doesn't help me or change anything.  I am going to do a 12 week course for partners of BPDs that will start in October, to help me with my communication skills.  The truth is, my dBPDh is emotionally sensitive and that isn't going to change by me getting upset about it.
DreamFlyer99

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »

What a great course MissyM! I hope it's as good as it sounds. Smiling (click to insert in post)
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 06:22:24 AM »

I understand how hard it is to communicate with a BPD.  I am really practicing Radical Acceptance that I do have to communicate differently.  The way I communicate works with the other people in my life but doesn't work for my dBPDh.  for a long time I was stuck in how unfair this was.  The truth is it is unfair but that doesn't help me or change anything.  I am going to do a 12 week course for partners of BPDs that will start in October, to help me with my communication skills.  The truth is, my dBPDh is emotionally sensitive and that isn't going to change by me getting upset about it.

Can you tell us more about this course?   Who puts it on? 

Anyone else taken something like this?

MissyM

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

I found the information through researching Fruzetti.  My dBPDh and I are working with a DBT therapist that is using The High Conflict Couple.  Our therapist communicates with someone on Fruzetti's team.  The link to Family Connections  is www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com/family-connections/

They have these courses all over the US.  You just need to contact them and find out if they have one in your area.  I am looking forward to doing this.  My dBPDh got defensive about it but I just told him I wasn't asking his permission, that I was just letting him know I intended to take it.  He seemed to accept that.
DreamFlyer99

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:16 PM »

Sounds great! Be sure to share how it goes. There will be many many interested people here waiting to hear! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »

For a long time I was stuck in how unfair this was.  The truth is it is unfair but that doesn't help me or change anything.  I am going to do a 12 week course for partners of BPDs that will start in October, to help me with my communication skills.  The truth is, my dBPDh is emotionally sensitive and that isn't going to change by me getting upset about it.

That is so wise, and true, MissyM  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

I, also, will be looking forward to your thread about that 12 week course, once you take it  Being cool (click to insert in post)

CantMakeSenseOfIt

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »

I find this is very true.

If I approach it by trying understand her perspective, she closes down with negative statements like "it's all bad" or just walks away.

If I approach it by expressing my perspective, she says I don't understand her. I can say "Are you feeling X and Y and Z right now?" And by knowing her, she will be feeling exactly those things... .She'll either become a two year old and take off saying "you don't know me!" or come back with some BS random thing.

If I approach it by trying to be objective, I get a blank stare. Literally, a blank stare like I didn't say anything.

I'm so sick and tired of having her brutal statements be "just me being honest" and "just the way I am" and "you just don't know how to take me" but when I say anything at all, it's yelling or tears or divorce or silence.

Man, what a one way road this life is.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest