Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 10:58:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Negative Interpretation of Your Actions & Validation/Invalidation  (Read 1057 times)
Inquisitive1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« on: September 06, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

My wife recently got really angry about a piece of advice I gave her. She said I was being too controlling. When I looked back on the email, the language seemed very neutral. The email started with "You might consider... .". I think her negative reaction came from the strong negative feelings she is having about the situation on which I was advising her.

So, I don't feel I can validate her, b/c her feelings are based on an incorrect interpretation. OTOH, I know being invalidating is not good. Maybe use SET, but is there another approach for this sort of situation.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

DreamFlyer99

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 30+ years

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »

hi Inquisitive1,

I had a lot of trouble understanding what validation was really about, and it sounds like perhaps you're in the same boat as me. What we validate is that they feel or think the way they do, we aren't validating their particular "truth" of what they're saying. My uBPDh is so fond of telling me what my thoughts are--not his thoughts but mine. Immediately I would feel invalidated! I used to get so frustrated with that--"YOU CAN'T SEE INSIDE MY HEAD!" Not my best response... .we have to tune in to what their emotion and feeling is about whatever they're saying, that's what's so hard for a pwBPD to do, express their feelings in a healthy way. (it's a disorder of dysregulated emotions, right?)

So-- Instead I need to search for the emotion driving whatever my husband thinks i am thinking, and say something less, er, inflammatory, and more like "It sounds like you're feeling I'm not listening... ." etc. (something not expressed in all caps.  )

Here's a good link to go over the validation stuff again, i have to refresh my brain on it once in a while:

Validation and BPD

These are a few of the reasons mentioned in this presentation on why validation is so helpful:

Excerpt
Facilitates regulation of emotions

Enhances relationships and can decrease feelings of abandonment

Enhances identity

And that's what we want, right? You'll hit a page (slide 9) that talks about reasons we invalidate, and you'll see the sentence "because we don't want our loved one to go through what we went through." That's where my hand goes up every time! *sigh* I would think i was soo helpful having been in therapy for some years already to deal with depression, and i'd say things like "This really helped me! if you would just try it yourself--" and he'd say "I'M NOT YOU!" Oh. True. And just like that I had invalidated his very being by saying it was the same as mine. I didn't intend to, i really thought i was being helpful.

That speaks to giving our loved ones with BPD advice too--unless they ask "what would you do?" that very shaky sense of self a pwBPD has? well, again, our saying "you should" "you might" --pretty much "you" anything feels invalidating, and like we aren't really listening to their specific thoughts/feelings.

These things take practice practice practice so we can get out of our old and less functional ways of communicating. My clue should have been "hmm--he reacts badly to this. Maybe i'm doing it wrong." But no, bull-headed and sure of my knowledge of What Would Help, i rolled right on over him. (Ouch!)

And that's what's so wonderful about this community, we can share our struggles, learn some new skills, and make a difference in our life and the life of our loved one. 

startrekuser

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »

My wife recently got really angry about a piece of advice I gave her. She said I was being too controlling. When I looked back on the email, the language seemed very neutral. The email started with "You might consider... .". I think her negative reaction came from the strong negative feelings she is having about the situation on which I was advising her.

So, I don't feel I can validate her, b/c her feelings are based on an incorrect interpretation. OTOH, I know being invalidating is not good. Maybe use SET, but is there another approach for this sort of situation.

My wife does this ALL THE TIME when we are discussing a topic in which she already has strong negative feelings about me.   I'm not sure how to handle this.
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »

I have tried to validate the feelings based on the interpretation rather than the interpretation itself. This is an area where I sometimes struggle because it goes both ways. I will misinterpret him because his body language and attitude do not align with what he is saying. I have used that as a spring board to check myself, especially when it comes to body language. And, I have also discovered that my husband tends to misinterpret emails more than in person communication. There have been times when I have tried to be playful in email but he took it as something totally different. I try to say things like, "I didn't realize that it came across that way. If you thought that is what I was saying or doing, then I can see why you are upset."

Trying to explain myself does not work and only escalates things.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:12 AM »

And, I have also discovered that my husband tends to misinterpret emails more than in person communication. There have been times when I have tried to be playful in email but he took it as something totally different.

In my r/s... .I have erected a boundary to texts and emails for r/s issues.  We still do the "b thr in 10 min" text or other list things.

There was so much mis-interpretation.

Anyone want to rename "trying to explain myself"... .from the lessons and tools... .Smiling (click to insert in post)

vortex of confusion

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »

Anyone want to rename "trying to explain myself"... .from the lessons and tools... .Smiling (click to insert in post)

LOL. JADE (justify, argue, defend, explain)!

Inquisitive1

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »

Yeah, JADE so important I'll write it again--justify, argue, defend, explain. My ongoing effort to avoid that has really helped my relationship.

I have definitely had those "YOU CAN'T SEE INSIDE MY HEAD" moments. The bit about not giving advice... .I'm working on that.

The slides on validation were a good read. The first entry under "Reasons We Invalidate" is "We have a different world view." This comes closest to what I'm talking about in my original post. I can't genuinely validate what she is saying/feeling when I think she is completely wrong. She says I'm trying to control, but i'm not, I'm just giving advice to be followed or ignored. What I did well here was I avoided JADE'ing. Since I couldn't validate from a genuine place. I simple stated my truth--that I didn't mean to be controlling. I didn't say much more. This actually worked pretty well.

I feel like her negative interpretation of my neutral email is at the heart of a lot of the problems she has. I'd like to see her do better at this... .but that's outside my control.

DreamFlyer99

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »

Of course we have different world views--our partner with BPD comes from a very different place!

That's why the validation is not about what they're saying but what they're feeling--or to use Vortex's example: "If you thought I was being controlling then I can see why you are upset." THAT's the feeling to be validated.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »

LOL. JADE (justify, argue, defend, explain)!

Vortex,

You are starting to get all the "boardspeak" down! 

Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post)

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »

Yeah, JADE so important I'll write it again--justify, argue, defend, explain. My ongoing effort to avoid that has really helped my relationship.

I have definitely had those "YOU CAN'T SEE INSIDE MY HEAD" moments. The bit about not giving advice... .I'm working on that.

The slides on validation were a good read. The first entry under "Reasons We Invalidate" is "We have a different world view." This comes closest to what I'm talking about in my original post. I can't genuinely validate what she is saying/feeling when I think she is completely wrong. She says I'm trying to control, but i'm not, I'm just giving advice to be followed or ignored. What I did well here was I avoided JADE'ing. Since I couldn't validate from a genuine place. I simple stated my truth--that I didn't mean to be controlling. I didn't say much more. This actually worked pretty well.

I feel like her negative interpretation of my neutral email is at the heart of a lot of the problems she has. I'd like to see her do better at this... .but that's outside my control.

Anyone want to talk about the differences in validating and agreeing with a feeling?

vortex of confusion

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

Anyone want to talk about the differences in validating and agreeing with a feeling?

Ooo, me, me, me!

I think validating is simply the act of letting the other person know that you heard them and understand them without necessarily agreeing. I may not believe it but I acknowledge that you think or believe whatever it is. Agreeing means that you believe it and think it.

I think this has been a source of contention for me because I sometimes feel like my spouse wants me to be in agreement. Validating without agreeing is something that is tricky for me because he will talk in circles until I agree with him.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »

Ooo, me, me, me!

I think validating is simply the act of letting the other person know that you heard them and understand them without necessarily agreeing. I may not believe it but I acknowledge that you think or believe whatever it is. Agreeing means that you believe it and think it.

I think this has been a source of contention for me because I sometimes feel like my spouse wants me to be in agreement. Validating without agreeing is something that is tricky for me because he will talk in circles until I agree with him.

Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post)

I figured vortex would jump in on this!  I like the answer too.

And... .vortex has brought up a tricky situation that I hope several around here can help with... .

How can you validate... .and then when the "circle talking" starts... .how can you not invalidate... .and exit the circle after a round or two?

How long should circle talking go on before being declared unproductive and ended?

How do you end circle talking... .softly... .so as to not inflame... .?

startrekuser

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »

[/

Ooo, me, me, me!

My BPDw does the same thing.  I can validate her feelings, and she'll say, "but you don't agree!" and the conversation goes on and on and on... .
startrekuser

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »

Ooo, me, me, me!

Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post)

I figured vortex would jump in on this!  I like the answer too.

And... .vortex has brought up a tricky situation that I hope several around here can help with... .

How can you validate... .and then when the "circle talking" starts... .how can you not invalidate... .and exit the circle after a round or two?

How long should circle talking go on before being declared unproductive and ended?

How do you end circle talking... .softly... .so as to not inflame... .?

GREAT questions and I would LOVE to know the answers because I know this problem all too well.  I have to say that it makes me feel so good that there are others that are familiar with this situation.  It's like a recurring nightmare for me in my conversations with my BPDw (for 15 years).  I've always felt so alone in dealing with my BPDw and our nightmare communications.  When I ask helpful friends and relationship experts for advice, their advice never resonated with me b/c I knew it wouldn't work.  I was always so frustrated b/c I could never really describe to them what's going on in our relationship.  People here explain it to me PERFECTLY and it literally brings tears to my eyes to hear someone else describe my problems.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Inquisitive1

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »

In this case I think I did let my wife know I understood how she felt without agreeing with her. And maybe that is why it worked out. Anyhow, I stumbled into that, good to see it written down. Now I can use it as an intentional strategy.

Talking can't be circular until you start covering the same thing repeatedly. So, it may take a couple of go rounds to realize you are in a circular argument, and at that point it is time to stop. The key is keeping it toghether and not get angry/frustrated, I've found if I can do that, I can usually separate without too much drama. gotta stay calm.

I agree with captain kirk, hearing of other people dealing with the same thing really helps. Makes me feel less isolated. And sometimes i feel really isolated.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »

It's difficult sharing a story without getting into all the details (trying to keep it anonymous)

Something occurred that left me feeling like my voice was stifled and I was an afterthought.  I told SO this, that I would rather not be involved in event because I hate feeling this way.

He took it to mean that I was accusing him of making me feel this way.  That those 2 things he intentionally set out to do to me and blah blah blah.  He said that while he doesn't think I intentionally meant to make him feel like crap, it didn't change the result (him feeling like crap).

I used this as an opportunity to try and meet somewhere in the middle.

I thanked him for sharing his side, his perspective.  I said that "feelings are funny and I believe we're on the same page with this.  I didn't mean for you to feel accused of setting out to stifle my voice.  I'm sorry that's the vibe I gave off, that what I said was received this way; I can see how it could be.  It's just how I feel, "my" feelings."

Then I went on to describe that "when such and such happens, I feel stifled.  When such and such happens, I feel like an afterthought.  I would like to continue with event, I would also like not to have the things happen that bring up these feelings in me.  Can we agree on this?"

He thanked me for telling him my side and that sure, he agrees.  While he JADEd a bit, he also said that he could understand where I was coming from and he wants me to feel like a full participant.

We hugged and kissed and put it in the past... . Had a wonderful weekend!
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »

Now I can use it as an intentional strategy.

YES!

Talking can't be circular until you start covering the same thing repeatedly. So, it may take a couple of go rounds to realize you are in a circular argument,

How can you change your thinking to being "intentional" in looking for the possibility of a circular argument?  Note:  Two different lines of thinking... .step 1... .realize earlier that you are entering a circle... .step 2... .what to do (other than deer in headlights look... .)

and at that point it is time to stop. The key is keeping it toghether and not get angry/frustrated, I've found if I can do that, I can usually separate without too much drama. gotta stay calm.

I like to "coach" people using the good, better, best way of thinking.

I think your method is good... .might even be up there towards better.

What strategy or technique from the lessons would be the "best" way of dealing with the emotion behind a circular argument?

Inquisitive1

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »

Formflier, I'm not really sure what would be best... .Maybe validation. Though, I've been in the circle before and validation doesn't necessarily end it. So maybe setting a boundary, but it seems what I wrote implied that.

As an interesting aside, since I've stopped JADE'ing and getting angry as much, and validating more, my wife seems more accepting of me saying we need to stop talking about a topic that's gotten circular. Before I paint too rosey a picture, while these techniques help, a major part of our progress is due to the fact she is no longer under the pressure of a hostile work place.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »

Formflier, I'm not really sure what would be best... .Maybe validation. Though, I've been in the circle before and validation doesn't necessarily end it. So maybe setting a boundary, but it seems what I wrote implied that.

As an interesting aside, since I've stopped JADE'ing and getting angry as much, and validating more, my wife seems more accepting of me saying we need to stop talking about a topic that's gotten circular. Before I paint too rosey a picture, while these techniques help, a major part of our progress is due to the fact she is no longer under the pressure of a hostile work place.

Think of validation not as an "answer"... .but as the oil that makes the machinery work... .or a salve that keeps something from hurting to much.

So... .circular detector goes off... .validate validate... .try to listen and think if there is a specific emotion.

Maybe even directly ask what she is feeling... .

If an accusation comes back... .

softly... ."help me understand... .xyz"

At some point... .validate... .let her know you are going to take a 5 minute break to think... .and get her a glass of water... .or something like that.

If she is still after it... take a 10 minute break... .and longer as needed.

Hopefully you can redirect and get emotions down.

Don't try to "win" or make her "cave in"... .just get out of the circle... .and move along.  Don't remind about old circles... .you will get sucked back in.

vortex of confusion

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »

One of the things that I have started to do recently is simply listen and avoid engaging at all. It means that no progress is made but it also means that I don't have to worry about JADEing. Last night, my husband was going on about something. I think he was trying to analyze our day out and was trying to get me to engage in the conversation. I simply wouldn't engage. I sat and nodded and listened while singing, "This is the song that doesn't end. It goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not know what it was and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that doesn't end." (It is the song from the old kid show Lamb Chop.)

I was listening to him enough to know what he was saying so I could validate it but I tried my best to stay emotionally detached. At some point, I think I said something along the lines of, "Hmmm, I hear what you are saying. I'll have to think about that."
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 05:35:17 AM »

It means that no progress is made... .

That is not necessarily a bad thing...

Remember the "validation rules"

Focus first on not invalidating... .it seems you did that well. 

In situations like this in the future... .maybe soft "what are you feeling?"  or "'what are you trying to accomplish... "

Remember to stay away from "why"... .

Maybe even try to stay away from "what".

Anyone think of a way to rephrase the two questions I posed... .and make them softer... .?

vortex of confusion

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »

That is not necessarily a bad thing...

Remember the "validation rules"

Focus first on not invalidating... .it seems you did that well. 

In situations like this in the future... .maybe soft "what are you feeling?"  or "'what are you trying to accomplish... "

Remember to stay away from "why"... .

Maybe even try to stay away from "what".

Anyone think of a way to rephrase the two questions I posed... .and make them softer... .?

I have been thinking about this and going over some of our past conversations that seemed to go on forever.

First, it feels like any kind of question, can lead to him being frustrated. I don't remember how it came about but I know that recently, he responded, "I'm sorry. I was just trying to have a conversation with you."

In thinking about a lot of our conversations, I don't think there is feeling involved because the outcome of the discussion has no real bearing on anything. I am thinking about some of the more philosophical discussions that we had. My husband is a philosopher so it seems that it really is about him getting me to agree. In thinking about our interactions, there are times that he will completely change his stance just so that we can be in agreement on things. I don't feel the need to have some kind of unilateral agreement. I want to be able to have my own thoughts without feeling like there has to be some level of agreement. There have been times when I have tried to stick with what I think/feel only for him to try to keep it going. If he can't get me to agree with him, then he will change his stance and say something like, "It looks like we are in agreement. We are saying the same things just in different ways." I started just saying "okay" and leaving it at that.

What I really want to do is scream, "Stop it! Stop trying to make us just alike. I am my own person and you are your own person."
Inquisitive1

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »

I like this just listen approach. That can be good when my wife is expressing things upon which I don't agree. I can do some mild validation, reflecting the feelings she expresses, but just not engage in trying to correct her misconception.

This is difficult for me because I grew up in a family where truth was highly valued, I'm a scientist, and getting to the truth is a core value of mine. While I still cannot fully embrace letting go of her misconceptions, the practical benefit of NOT JADE'ing is becoming clear to me.

I'm not sure how to rephrase the questions Formflier posted. I'd like to see some examples. Rather than asking questions, which can be problematic, I'd probably try to understand the underlying emotion/goal and reflect that to my wife: "I'm sorry you feel i was trying to controll you."

A couple of things Vortex says are definitely familiar to me. My BPDw seems to find questions irritating much of the time. She also has a hard time leaving things in a state of disagreement... .she wants everything resolved by the end of the conversation. I wonder if these aren't common BPD characteristics.

Sometimes, I tell my wife, we'll just have to agree to disagree... .sometimes she accepts this.

debyt

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »

Yup... .this is so true.  JADE is right on.  I learned how to JADE from my mom who was married to a narcissist drunk.  It didn't do her any good either, they don't empathize.  Please explain again just why I am putting up with this and trying to get through each day without feeling like a failure at marriage.?  I always heard Dr. Laura say the three A's were enough to leave: Abuse, Addiction and Adultery.  I get intimidated by him, not abused, he's addicted to sex but won't have an affair to cause me to leave... .I feel like I am the one who needs to be admitted sometimes... .and just even trying to have a conversation turns into a "you are the reason I feel so bad about me"... .Jesus give me strength!
DreamFlyer99

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »

and just even trying to have a conversation turns into a "you are the reason I feel so bad about me"... .

OH this is so familiar!
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »

Yup... .this is so true.  JADE is right on.  I learned how to JADE from my mom who was married to a narcissist drunk.  It didn't do her any good either, they don't empathize.  Please explain again just why I am putting up with this and trying to get through each day without feeling like a failure at marriage.?  I always heard Dr. Laura say the three A's were enough to leave: Abuse, Addiction and Adultery.  I get intimidated by him, not abused, he's addicted to sex but won't have an affair to cause me to leave... .I feel like I am the one who needs to be admitted sometimes... .and just even trying to have a conversation turns into a "you are the reason I feel so bad about me"... .Jesus give me strength!

Welcome Welcome Welcome

Debyt,

Welcome to the staying board.  If you look off to the right you will see "the lessons".  Have you looked through those yet?

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56206

I encourage you to start your own thread on the staying board.  I think that we can help you get the "temperature" down some in your home and r/s (relationship).  That will give you some breathing room to sort out some of your plans.

We can help! 

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:23 PM »

just to throw another term into the mix what do you guys thing about using the word "understand', as in "I understand what you are saying/

Good or bad... Pros and cons. hint; Think carefully about the consequence of whether you do or dont say this.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Inquisitive1

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »

Using the word 'understand' has backfired on me multiple times. My wife will gets irritated and says I can't understand because her experience is different than mine. Then she'll often bring up some of the traumatic things she's experienced including her childhood.
maxsterling

Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

That speaks to giving our loved ones with BPD advice too--unless they ask "what would you do?" that very shaky sense of self a pwBPD has? well, again, our saying "you should" "you might" --pretty much "you" anything feels invalidating, and like we aren't really listening to their specific thoughts/feelings.

Sorry to drag up something from page 1, but I realized something struck me here.  I get asked "should I?" about a dozen times a day.  I feel trapped!  "Should I wear this?"  "Should I call the doctor today?"  "Should I eat this?"  If there were two words I could strike from her vocabulary it would be "should" and "whatever".  Does anyone else get bombarded with the "should I?" How do you handle it?  It just seems to be set up for invalidation and accusations of being controlling.  I've tried saying "I don't know, that's up to you." but that usually backfires.  So pwBPD hate it when others tell them what they should or shouldn't do, or how they should feel (I hate it too!), but what about when they are constantly asking you what they should do?

maxsterling

Relationship status: living together, engaged

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »

just to throw another term into the mix what do you guys thing about using the word "understand', as in "I understand what you are saying/

Good or bad... Pros and cons. hint; Think carefully about the consequence of whether you do or dont say this.

All I know is that if I say "I understand", I am sometimes challenged as to whether or not I actually do understand.  Challenged in a mean way .  And one of her favorite phrases is, ":)o you understand?"  She says it as if I am stupid, or expects that I don't understand, or simply because I haven't responded quick enough to some kind of a statement that doesn't really warrant a response. 

Her: "It's very cold in here."

Me: [no quick response, because that is a statement, not a request or a question]

Her [5-10 seconds later]:  "Hello?  Did you hear me?  Do you understand? I'm, cold!"

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »

I don't think it's always a bad thing necessarily.  For me it depends on what the understanding is and if it's backed up with the goods. 

"I understand... , you'd rather I not be a backseat driver"
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

vortex of confusion

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »

I try to avoid using the term "understand" unless I really, truly understand what he is saying. I tend to phrase things more like, "I hear what you are saying but I don't understand your point of view." I let him know that I am listening and am making an effort to understand. We have had some problems because I thought he understood what I wanted or he thought I understood what he wanted. If two people are on the same page, then it isn't a problem. If two people aren't even in the same book, well then, saying things like "I understand what you are saying" can lead to assumptions and misunderstandings. Since a BPD tends to be childish and tends to understand things differently than a lot of people do, I would think that it would be best to steer clear of it. There are times when I think I understand him but two minutes later something will come up and it becomes obvious that we were speaking two different languages.

To get technical, I went and looked up the actual definition:

1. perceive the intended meaning of (words, a language, or speaker).

"he didn't understand a word I said"

be sympathetically or knowledgeably aware of the character or nature of.

"Picasso understood color"

synonyms:   appreciate, recognize, realize, acknowledge, know, be aware of, be conscious of; More

interpret or view (something) in a particular way.

"as the term is usually understood, legislation refers to regulations and directives"

2. infer something from information received (often used as a polite formula in conversation).

"I understand you're at art school"

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »

synonyms:   appreciate, recognize, realize, acknowledge, know, be aware of, be conscious of; More

"as the term is usually understood, legislation refers to regulations and directives"

2. infer something from information received (often used as a polite formula in conversation).

These are indisputable clear constants that are not subject to change, how does this compare to understanding a pwBPDs view of the world?

vortex of confusion

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »

These are indisputable clear constants that are not subject to change, how does this compare to understanding a pwBPDs view of the world?

To me, it seems like their view of the world is not constant and is subject to change. So, I may understand what was meant in a particular instant but that may not carry over to the next instant because their view of the world seems to be in flux based on how they are feeling or what is happening to them in that moment.

When I say that I understand, then it seems that my husband seems to think that my understanding goes beyond that one particular instant. He can change but I can't. I am suppose to understand him no matter what is going on. My lack of understanding is often seen as invalidation. I know that he and I have both said at different times, "I thought I knew what you were saying, but apparently not."
waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »

To me, it seems like their view of the world is not constant and is subject to change. So, I may understand what was meant in a particular instant but that may not carry over to the next instant because their view of the world seems to be in flux based on how they are feeling or what is happening to them in that moment.

When I say that I understand, then it seems that my husband seems to think that my understanding goes beyond that one particular instant. He can change but I can't. I am suppose to understand him no matter what is going on. My lack of understanding is often seen as invalidation. I know that he and I have both said at different times, "I thought I knew what you were saying, but apparently not."

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

So is telling him you you understand a good thing or a bad thing in the long run?

vortex of confusion

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »

So is telling him you you understand a good thing or a bad thing in the long run?

In the long run, I think it creates more confusion.

In the short term, it can be very effective at staving off dysregulation. I know I have been guilty of saying, "I think I understand what you are saying" just to get him to shut up and quit obsessing. With my husband, it is inevitable that the same topics will come up over and over again. Just tonight, he was telling me that he felt a lot more connected to me and was going on about things. I told him that I was glad that he felt that way. He tried to press me and get me into a conversation about our relationship. I told him that I kind of liked not talking about it and would like to continue not talking about it for a while. I did not try to understand him. I merely listened and said that I was happy that he had positive feelings. His reality is so very different than mine. He thinks everything is great and wonderful but things couldn't be farther from the truth on my side of things.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »

Something isn't sitting right with me on this.  I guess it's because the way I'm looking at it is lumping everyone with BPD into the same box; I have a really hard time with generalizing a 'person'.

I'd be taken aback if someone told me that they understood my view of the world, too.  There's no way somebody else has the inside skinny into my views.  They might have a perceived notion, but they don't know for sure every last detail; things sometimes develop before my eyes.  :)oes it feel good when they seek to understand?  Absolutely!  It is even better when we connect on that front, both ways!  When I seek to understand, or he's explaining something and I get it, I understand and tell him I do.  I may not agree, but I can understand where he's coming from.

I guess I'm missing something here because it isn't computing in the big picture.

Can you help me understand what it is I'm not understanding?

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »

In the short term, it can be very effective at staving off dysregulation. I know I have been guilty of saying, "I think I understand what you are saying" just to get him to shut up and quit obsessing.

I don't get it.  I'm trying to understand how this is a good thing for either one of you.

waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

The problem is what you mean by understand and what another persons means can be different.

2 scenarios can happen:

Firstly if someone is in chaos and they are trying to tell you that you dont understand, you then respond by saying you understand, that can be seen as a direct invalidating contradiction as you are telling them they are wrong (remember their message is they believe you dont), they can see it as dismissive and at times patronizing. They dont believe you when you say you do. You are not in their head so you dont really.  The truth is you can only state what you see and your interpretations. You may think you understand, but you may not, and they probably wont believe you. Their frustrations build> escalation> "No you dont, it's not happening to you, you dont understand, you never will" etc

Secondly if they are open to your "understanding", often because they are seeking validation, then saying you "understand" can be seen as a blanket approval. You understand BPD for example can later be pulled out and used as a rebuke if you later disagree with something... "but you said you understood BPD so its not my fault, you don't really understand you just say that when it suits you" etc>> It backfires and gets thrown back at you.

It is better say something along the lines of I can hear what you are saying and if I am right it is because you believe XYZ, am I right?" etc... This is validating whilst not apply blanket assumptions and at the same time limiting validation to the immediate issue you are discussing.

Of course everyone, and every RS, is different, mine took a huge leap forward when I limited the use of the word "understand'. It was even helpful to clearly explain my reasoning. The fact that you are acknowledging that you are not them, but are doing your best to be empathetic without presumption was received as very validating.

vortex of confusion

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »

In the short term, it can be very effective at staving off dysregulation. I know I have been guilty of saying, "I think I understand what you are saying" just to get him to shut up and quit obsessing.

I don't get it.  I'm trying to understand how this is a good thing for either one of you.

It isn't good for either one of us and that is the point that I was trying to make.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 08:27:19 PM »

I don't get it.  I'm trying to understand how this is a good thing for either one of you.

It isn't good for either one of us and that is the point that I was trying to make.

How so?
vortex of confusion

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »

How so?

I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I was referring to how saying "I understand" isn't helpful to me or my husband. It is better for both of us to try to approach things from a different angle all together.

The example that I gave of telling my husband "I understand" to get him to stop the circular talking is something that I have done in the past. It was me trying to be aware of my own failings and sharing them with others in case they have been doing the same things. When sitting there listening to my husband talk about the same things over and over, it is very tempting to say or do anything to get him to stop. He will sometimes bring up the same thing in the same conversation four or five times and each time he will put a slightly different spin on it. It feels like he won't stop until he gets a satisfactory answer/response from me. If I tell him what he wants to hear (like I understand), then it will likely come back and bite me in the butt later.
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »

The problem is what you mean by understand and what another persons means can be different.

2 scenarios can happen:

Firstly if someone is in chaos and they are trying to tell you that you dont understand, you then respond by saying you understand, that can be seen as a direct invalidating contradiction as you are telling them they are wrong (remember their message is they believe you dont), they can see it as dismissive and at times patronizing. They dont believe you when you say you do. You are not in their head so you dont really.  The truth is you can only state what you see and your interpretations. You may think you understand, but you may not, and they probably wont believe you. Their frustrations build> escalation> "No you dont, it's not happening to you, you dont understand, you never will" etc

Okay, this I totally get.  When in chaos, I have no idea how my partner actually feels.  I don't tell him "I understand" in a situation like this, because I don't.

Secondly if they are open to your "understanding", often because they are seeking validation, then saying you "understand" can be seen as a blanket approval. You understand BPD for example can later be pulled out and used as a rebuke if you later disagree with something... "but you said you understood BPD so its not my fault, you don't really understand you just say that when it suits you" etc>> It backfires and gets thrown back at you.

It is better say something along the lines of I can hear what you are saying and if I am right it is because you believe XYZ, am I right?" etc... This is validating whilst not apply blanket assumptions and at the same time limiting validation to the immediate issue you are discussing.

I've never told him I understand BPD Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)   To say it in my own words, I might say, "Ooo, it sounds like I struck a nerve...  Are you irritated with me for telling you to turn left?"  

Of course everyone, and every RS, is different, mine took a huge leap forward when I limited the use of the word "understand'. It was even helpful to clearly explain my reasoning. The fact that you are acknowledging that you are not them, but are doing your best to be empathetic without presumption was received as very validating.

Yea, in my relationship, "I understand... , you'd rather I not be a backseat driver", works just fine.

I don't say it all the time, but sometimes, when it's funny and/or I am well aware of his feelings on a particular issue, he knows mine, we're being authentic and understand each other, it's okay.

Thank you for explaining this.  It's interesting!  

Which might be another way to approach something, an 'understanding/misunderstanding'... .

"Hmm, interesting... . Let me think about this"

Huh?

La la la... .
123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

How so?

I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I was referring to how saying "I understand" isn't helpful to me or my husband. It is better for both of us to try to approach things from a different angle all together.

The example that I gave of telling my husband "I understand" to get him to stop the circular talking is something that I have done in the past. It was me trying to be aware of my own failings and sharing them with others in case they have been doing the same things. When sitting there listening to my husband talk about the same things over and over, it is very tempting to say or do anything to get him to stop. He will sometimes bring up the same thing in the same conversation four or five times and each time he will put a slightly different spin on it. It feels like he won't stop until he gets a satisfactory answer/response from me. If I tell him what he wants to hear (like I understand), then it will likely come back and bite me in the butt later.

Okay.  I guess what was hard for me to grasp is that we don't have this particular issue, so I wasn't able to relate as well; saying you think you understand what he is saying is very effective at staving off dysregulation?  I can see how it could be a potential problem.  I'm pretty darn honest with my guy, so don't tell him things he wants to hear in order to get him to 'shut up'.  That has never been my style.  I'm more the, 'Shut the F UP!" type   Only have never used those words on him, have on someone else in his presence though.  With him, I walk away.  He knows.  He 'understands'.
waverider
Retired Staff

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »

Sound like you are avoiding the common traps of overusing "understanding" already

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Many folks use it because they are just trying to appease and cant think of anything to say.

Even I get annoyed when I try to explain something and people say they understand, trying to shut me up/butt in, when they clearly dont understand

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »

Even I get annoyed when I try to explain something and people say they understand, trying to shut me up/butt in, when they clearly dont understand

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

I understand waverider, I really do; trust me
vortex of confusion

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »

Even though I have done it to my husband, it annoys me too. <yes, very guilty> 

With my husband, I have done it because there are times when talking to him is like being grilled by a police officer trying to get you to confess. It is an interrogation rather than a conversation. I know exactly why people will confess to just about anything after a while. There comes a point when I just want it to stop. I used to try to engage and argue/discuss but that didn't work. Then I tried offering whatever I could to get him to stop. Now, I tend to go quiet.
ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »

Great example! That helps me soo much, too. Validate the FEELING. I spent a lot of time JADEing in the beginning, always thinking if I could just get him to understand what I meant... .but nonono that's not the right move at all. Things have been going so much better since I've practiced getting away from JADEing.

Of course we have different world views--our partner with BPD comes from a very different place!

That's why the validation is not about what they're saying but what they're feeling--or to use Vortex's example: "If you thought I was being controlling then I can see why you are upset." THAT's the feeling to be validated.

ColdEthyl

Relationship status: Married 2 years

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »

Even though I have done it to my husband, it annoys me too. <yes, very guilty> 

With my husband, I have done it because there are times when talking to him is like being grilled by a police officer trying to get you to confess. It is an interrogation rather than a conversation. I know exactly why people will confess to just about anything after a while. There comes a point when I just want it to stop. I used to try to engage and argue/discuss but that didn't work. Then I tried offering whatever I could to get him to stop. Now, I tend to go quiet.

Ain't that the truth Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) my husband does the same thing. As in previous posts, he also ASSUMES what I'm thinking, rather than asking me. He's pretty paranoid too... .thinks everyone is out to get him. He will notice a simple thing and turn it into some sort of conspiracy.

I have to remind myself of how this must feel for him, to be this scared all the time. That helps me get my own annoyance under control.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »

He's pretty paranoid too... .thinks everyone is out to get him. He will notice a simple thing and turn it into some sort of conspiracy.

I have to remind myself of how this must feel for him, to be this scared all the time. That helps me get my own annoyance under control.

Paranoia was a big part of my r/s for many years.  Very tough to get weeded out. 

I ended up at a similar place where I would imagine what it must be like for them to imagine these things... .or think these thinks.  Helped me have empathy for my wife...

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest